Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

^ "Nice"

Pretty sure the ship has sailed on the whole "should we be sexualizing Magik" topic
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ^ "Nice"

Pretty sure the ship has sailed on the whole "should we be sexualizing Magik" topic
    I don't think that genie is going back in the bottle.

is it good or bad that the page loaded and i audibly barked "GOD DAMN!"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    As long as he doesn't have her call Blindfold a loserslut anymore...
    What!? I had no idea. Spurrier did that? What context? I mean Illyana sometimes does seem a little too 'magicaly' perfect and Jean-sensitive but that's kinda, um, well I don't know the facts. But in real life, although I can't condone it, I can imagine that sort of complicated horribleness happening. Hurt people sometimes hurt hurt people. Oh and that cover up there is ugly. Looks like a box store.
    Last edited by sungila; 10-10-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Magik gets all the variant love! Not that I am complaining, I think it looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    As long as he doesn't have her call Blindfold a loserslut anymore...
    Hmm, I'd forgotten about this and just refreshed my memory. Not great, but that lapse aside Spurrier has generally been fantastic in what I've read of his.

As Sungila says, sometimes hurt people lash out but it's not a great choice of word.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Hmm, I'd forgotten about this and just refreshed my memory. Not great, but that lapse aside Spurrier has generally been fantastic in what I've read of his.

As Sungila says, sometimes hurt people lash out but it's not a great choice of word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post

Me too Jumpyshark. Not great no. And I'd forgotten.

But you know, this whole discussion about the 'sexualization' of Magik isn't even sexy. I mean it. Shouldn't a conversation about sexualizing at least have a language that's nuanced and empowered and sensual?

The said stuff that Magik isn't in a NM uniform like her teammates in the upcoming New Mutants is that she's wearing the fashions of her experience, her outfit supposedly speaking to her life outside that of the life shared with her friends and teammates and X-Men. Okay? I can see that in Rod Reis' work. I can see that in the War Children one-shot...I saw that in Dead Souls and the What If.

I don't see that in Lau's cover or in this last 'cartoon'. Is this supposed to be ironic? Am I supposed to somehow 'get it' without the work or energy that it takes to form a new word or conversation? There's not even a shadow to hint at the possibility for depth?

Simply go back to 2013 and read Anka's essay. Or just spend a few minutes looking at his art. Please.

I actually have trouble with any ethical argument that 'sees' Magik as a voiceless object in a such a decidedly derogatory way and dares claim she shouldn't talk about other women in a troubling or bad way.

There's a huge difference between the intent of what Spurrier was doing in story and what Artgerm does above without any her in the sex of that object and outfit.

IMO, at least.

Complicated is great. Conflicting is real.

I've seen Lau draw a complicated and conflicting Invisible Woman. This Illyana cover is more in keeping with the bulk of what I've seen from his Marvel covers. Fairy Tale princesses inflated for boys and girls who never grew outside of the capitalistic ideal that a life and all it's possibilities should be stuffed or starved into the shape of a little girl in the theater watching a horror film about where the victim or tricked out heroine is always a little girl in sleep over t-shirt screaming at some dude in a mask with a knife in his hand.

The worst thing is to m(f)ake art without intent, or without daring to even consider intent when the art is finished and ready to be listened to, to be heard, and to speak for herself.

What does a person who is forced to look like a billboard for loserslut say about somebody saying she said somebody else is a loserslut, one time, when the X-Men as a whole were all so schism'ed, broken and bleeding out that they were all actually totally acting like shelled out shell shocked losersluts - for reasons and yea...is she even allowed to speak, or should she only speak in answer to?

But I'm feeling all shouty about this, and I'm sorry
    I do, also, apologize for this rant.

It's hard for me as a fan to see the work that Bendis, Anka, recently Rosenberg and Gorham as well as a few others have struggled to accomplish so easily and obviously erased, assimilated and flattened out into the same ol' shiny looking new****. Harder still to see fans who've themselves read beyond and outside simplified boxes...be so easily returned and re-boxed in.

And the 2D defenses.

'AF' feminist hyperbole on a T-Shirt is such a lazy guy thing to do.
    Last edited by sungila; 10-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Oh nice Lau kept the boob window.
    "Cable was right!"

did illyana run a patreon account before she got her krakoan government job

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Yay for boob window

Amazing Member

NICE! I really like that

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Me too Jumpyshark. Not great no. And I'd forgotten.

But you know, this whole discussion about the 'sexualization' of Magik isn't even sexy. I mean it. Shouldn't a conversation about sexualizing at least have a language that's nuanced and empowered and sensual?

The said stuff that Magik isn't in a NM uniform like her teammates in the upcoming New Mutants is that she's wearing the fashions of her experience, her outfit supposedly speaking to her life outside that of the life shared with her friends and teammates and X-Men. Okay? I can see that in Rod Reis' work. I can see that in the War Children one-shot...I saw that in Dead Souls and the What If.

I don't see that in Lau's cover or in this last 'cartoon'. Is this supposed to be ironic? Am I supposed to somehow 'get it' without the work or energy that it takes to form a new word or conversation? There's not even a shadow to hint at the possibility for depth?

Simply go back to 2013 and read Anka's essay. Or just spend a few minutes looking at his art. Please.

I actually have trouble with any ethical argument that 'sees' Magik as a voiceless object in a such a decidedly derogatory way and dares claim she shouldn't talk about other women in a troubling or bad way.

There's a huge difference between the intent of what Spurrier was doing in story and what Artgerm does above without any her in the sex of that object and outfit.

IMO, at least.

Complicated is great. Conflicting is real.

I've seen Lau draw a complicated and conflicting Invisible Woman. This Illyana cover is more in keeping with the bulk of what I've seen from his Marvel covers. Fairy Tale princesses inflated for boys and girls who never grew outside of the capitalistic ideal that a life and all it's possibilities should be stuffed or starved into the shape of a little girl in the theater watching a horror film about where the victim or tricked out heroine is always a little girl in sleep over t-shirt screaming at some dude in a mask with a knife in his hand.

The worst thing is to m(f)ake art without intent, or without daring to even consider intent when the art is finished and ready to be listened to, to be heard, and to speak for herself.

What does a person who is forced to look like a billboard for loserslut say about somebody saying she said somebody else is a loserslut, one time, when the X-Men as a whole were all so schism'ed, broken and bleeding out that they were all actually totally acting like shelled out shell shocked losersluts - for reasons and yea...is she even allowed to speak, or should she only speak in answer to?

But I'm feeling all shouty about this, and I'm sorry
    I do, also, apologize for this rant.

It's hard for me as a fan to see the work that Bendis, Anka, recently Rosenberg and Gorham as well as a few others have struggled to accomplish so easily and obviously erased, assimilated and flattened out into the same ol' shiny looking new****. Harder still to see fans who've themselves read beyond and outside simplified boxes...be so easily returned and re-boxed in.

And the 2D defenses.

'AF' feminist hyperbole on a T-Shirt is such a lazy guy thing to do.
    I feel the same .

As for the Boob window, to me it looks so stupid. I wish she went back to her New Mutant outfit.

I actually wouldn't mind her Extraordinary design coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    did illyana run a patreon account before she got her krakoan government job
    Oh my god, she totally would have.