Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Place your bet about gww run.

Since gww is so far writing Diana as low mid tier at best, and honestly i think this is being generous from my part. Do you think that:

1) Things will improve. We will see a more competent and powerful Diana once again. Finally!!!

2) Things won't improve. We will have again, another run of a weak WW that struggles doing almost anything.
    Last edited by starlight25; 02-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.

1 for sure. Wilson is a good writer and I can already see an improvement. My bet is that she will need one arc to get into the mood of the character and story and get significantly better after that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    1 for sure. Wilson is a good writer and I can already see an improvement. My bet is that she will need one arc to get into the mood of the character and story and get significantly better after that.
    It's ok to be positive. But don't hold your breath just in case. I learned the hard way.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Things will improve. We are already off to a solid start and things improve every issue. Wilson was kind of thrown into it and she tweeted that she didn't start to get comfortable until her 8th issue. We are only four in, so lets have patience.

WW is also neither incompetent or weak in this run and will be fighting giants with Giganta in February.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Things will improve. We are already off to a solid start and things improve every issue. Wilson was kind of thrown into it and she tweeted that she didn't start to get comfortable until her 8th issue. We are only four in, so lets have patience.

WW is also neither incompetent or weak in this run and will be fighting giants with Giganta in February.
    So far she is weak. gww said she started to get comfortable with Diana's voice after 8 issues. That has nothing to do with portraying WW as a proper powerhouse. Something she hasn't done so far.
    I have nothing to lose at this point. So trust me, patience is not an issue. I just learned to no longer have expectations. I can always have hope. But i will never ever have expectations again. This decade has been the worst for me as a fan. And i have been a fan for 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    So far she is weak. gww said she started to get comfortable with Diana's voice after 8 issues. That has nothing to do with portraying WW as a proper powerhouse. Something she hasn't done so far.
    I have nothing to lose at this point. So trust me, patience is not an issue. I just learned to no longer have expectations. I can always have hope. But i will never ever have expectations again. This decade has been the worst for me as a fan. And i have been a fan for 25 years.
    Its all in the eye of the beholder.
    None of the man made weapons are portrayed as threats to her, and neither is Ares, so she's not weak to me.

BANNED

Its all in the eye of the beholder.
    None of the man made weapons are portrayed as threats to her, and neither is Ares, so she's not weak to me.
    She was wondering if she would make it in one piece. And of course her facial expressions suggesting a struggle.

I personally have no interest in Wonder Woman being overpowered and overcoming her obstacles with no issues. There's no tension or excitement there. Wilson's run brings out themes and concepts that haven't been explored in interesting ways. It's already far, far superior to Robinson's run, slightly better than Orlando's mini-run, far better than Fontana's mini-run, and has a possibility of reaching Rucka levels of great if she keeps it up (which I'm optimistic for, as Giganta fighting mythical Titans is just so, so good).

But I have no desire to read a comic where Wonder Woman literally struggles with nothing. And obviously I don't think she should be portrayed as useless as she was in Robinson's or Finch's runs, but she hasn't here, either. They even state she's evenly matched with Ares, God of War, who has been far above her weight class in the past.

So my bet? Wilson is just going to get better and better as the series continues.

She was wondering if she would make it in one piece. And of course her facial expressions suggesting a struggle.
    What issue and panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I personally have no interest in Wonder Woman being overpowered and overcoming her obstacles with no issues. There's no tension or excitement there. Wilson's run brings out themes and concepts that haven't been explored in interesting ways. It's already far, far superior to Robinson's run, slightly better than Orlando's mini-run, far better than Fontana's mini-run, and has a possibility of reaching Rucka levels of great if she keeps it up (which I'm optimistic for, as Giganta fighting mythical Titans is just so, so good).

But I have no desire to read a comic where Wonder Woman literally struggles with nothing. And obviously I don't think she should be portrayed as useless as she was in Robinson's or Finch's runs, but she hasn't here, either. They even state she's evenly matched with Ares, God of War, who has been far above her weight class in the past.

So my bet? Wilson is just going to get better and better as the series continues.
    Yes, and it's not like she's even struggling with anything feat wise. It's more the difficult situation of the man-made conflict Ares is agitating and being concerned that her mother and people are in danger. So she has concerns, and is basically like every other superhero in their books.

I think it's far too easy to judge Wilson, but I seriously think that she is the best writer ever put on the Wonder Woman title. And that's not dissing writers like Rucka or Simone or Pérez. But Wilson writes prose on an entirely different level, understand comics, and seems to have a clear grasp on how she views Wonder Woman. That vision might be slightly different from what most of us are used to, but I don't think it's a poor vision, and just might be what the character needs right now.

Imagine Gaiman just coming off Sandman in 1993, writing Wonder Woman. That's the level we might be looking at.

I presume you're thinking of page 19 of #61, where Diana says "if we can get there in one piece."

But note that she is talking about "we". I don't read it as that she's concerned about the safety of herself or Aphrodite. But she is concerned about Steve and even more the prime minister.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Diana is a God and she should be overpowered. The same goes for her villains who are mostly God level characters. The problem is writers depicting her and her villain's as low or mid-tier characters
    Neither she nor her villains are doing anything that shows they are God-like beings.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

Who said she should have no struggle? She shouldn't struggle with soldiers and tanks if she is supposed to be a match for Gods like Ares. Otherwise that means that the Gods themselves are weak. IF a WW that finds it difficult to deal with guns and tanks can challenge them.

BANNED

What issue and panel?

Yes, and it's not like she's even struggling with anything feat wise. It's more the difficult situation of the man-made conflict Ares is agitating and being concerned that her mother and people are in danger. So she has concerns, and is basically like every other superhero in their books.
    She struglled period. And went ugh!! lifting a freaking plane in previous issue. WOW. Such amazing God like strength and speed. About the one piece thing. She said if we make it in on piece in 61 page 19. I am going to complain about these things until i see a change. Because i have been a fan for 25 years. And this decade has hit me so many times, that i just can't take it anymore. I can't just be quite and watch. At least i have to express myself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think it's far too easy to judge Wilson, but I seriously think that she is the best writer ever put on the Wonder Woman title. And that's not dissing writers like Rucka or Simone or Pérez. But Wilson writes prose on an entirely different level, understand comics, and seems to have a clear grasp on how she views Wonder Woman. That vision might be slightly different from what most of us are used to, but I don't think it's a poor vision, and just might be what the character needs right now.

Imagine Gaiman just coming off Sandman in 1993, writing Wonder Woman. That's the level we might be looking at.
    Imagine having a WW that is compassionate yet brave and powerful. That doesn't like to use violence but can kick ass if she has to. That is not unstoopable but is still a powerhouse that can deal with things like an army easily. That is not the case with gww. So far her writing is only above average. And powerwise. Barely average.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-17-2019 at 04:13 PM.