Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

You should read Brian Azzarello's run then, if you want a beefed up Wonder Woman.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    You should read Brian Azzarello's run then if you want a beefed up Wonder Woman.
    No, The fights are just like in Wilsons run. Insult to Gods. No epicness like Superman or Flash comics
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 01-17-2019 at 01:36 PM.

You should read Brian Azzarello's run then, if you want a beefed up Wonder Woman.
    Why when almost every battle ends with her being rescued by someone? The only reason she beat First Born was because she tricked him and it was Azzarello who started her "judicious use of strength" in the first place.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I don’t remember azz WW winning many if any fights without “god mode”, primarily against female gods. I don’t remember her beating any male god without assistance.

BANNED

Do any of you see any reason that could lead you to believe things will improve?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Why when almost every battle ends with her being rescued by someone? The only reason she beat First Born was because she tricked him and it was Azzarello who started her "judicious use of strength" in the first place.
    Can't things get better? Is there no hope after so many years since the ugly 2011 reboot?

Incredible Member

What do you guys generally expect with the WW books? How should writers write her adventures?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    What do you guys generally expect with the WW books? How should writers write her adventures?
    Well, the lack of action. And the sword and shield getting more of the feats instead of her actual powers, is not my idea of a great Wonder Woman.

Okay, there are a lot of people wearing rose tinted glasses around here. What exactly is the is the qualification of a good Wonder Woman fight here? She can't rely on the aid of someone else and she has to use her 'natural' abilities'? How many major Post-Crisis Wonder Woman fights can that seriously describe?

> Wonder Woman vs Circe from George Perez, Wonder Woman dies and then the heroes get her back (i.e. she gets rescued) and I believe she has help specifically with Donna Troy (along with much of the rest of the DCU).
    > Wonder Woman vs White Magician from Messner-Loebs run, WW receives aid from both Artemis and Circe. Not to mention her mother, as she predicts a 'Wonder Woman' will die so she orchestrates a series of event that would save her life.
    > John Byrne's run....
    > Wonder Woman uses an axe in her fight with Medusa
    > Gail Simone's run is actually a lot like John Byrne's in this regard. Her fight with the hundred-handed monster I guess?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 01-19-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Good writing, an interesting and coherent plot that’s simple enough to follow. Good characterization, development of said characters, particularly in Diana’s case. Good feats showing off her strength and battle instincts.

BANNED

Okay, there are a lot of people wearing rose tinted glasses around here. What exactly is the is the qualification of a good Wonder Woman fight here? She can't rely on the aid of someone else and she has to use her 'natural' abilities'? How many major Post-Crisis Wonder Woman fights can that seriously describe?

> Wonder Woman vs Circe from George Perez, Wonder Woman dies and then the heroes get her back (i.e. she gets rescued) and I believe she has help specifically with Donna Troy (along with much of the rest of the DCU).
    > Wonder Woman vs White Magician from Messner-Loebs run, WW receives aid from both Artemis and Circe. Not to mention her mother, as she predicts a 'Wonder Woman' will die so she orchestrates a series of event that would save her life.
    > John Byrne's run....
    > Wonder Woman uses an axe in her fight with Medusa
    > Gail Simone's run is actually a lot like John Byrne's in this regard. Her fight with the hundred-handed monster I guess?
    Nobody says she can't use her gear. But sword and shield get more showings than her powers and classic gear. Nothing wrong with having help, but Pre n52 Wonder Woman also had great battle moments where she fought alone. In azz run she only won some battle against female foes without help. In finch run she did almost nothing. In robinson she was interrupted many times when she was about to fight somebody. And all the focus was on her brother and how he kept getting more powers than her. In gww run well, her last battle with Ares was literally 3 blows. And again she went for the sword instead of her lasso or her super strength. Most of her fights are underwhelming since 2011. Her feats for the most part can be replicated by any mid tier. Hell even spiderman can perform many of the feats from rebirth. The lack of action and downgrade in power since 2011 is very obvious.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-19-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    Nobody says she can't use her gear. But sword and shield get more showings than her powers and classic gear. Nothing wrong with having help, but Pre n52 Wonder Woman also had great battle moments where she fought alone. In azz run she only won some battle against female foes without help. In finch run she did almost nothing. In robinson she was interrupted many times when she was about to fight somebody. And all the focus was on her brother and how he kept getting more powers than her. In gww run well, her last battle with Ares was literally 3 blows. And again she went for the sword instead of her lasso or her super strength. Most of her fights are underwhelming since 2011. Her feats for the most part can be replicated by any mid tier. Hell even spiderman can perform many of the feats from rebirth. The lack of action and downgrade in power since 2011 is very obvious.
    In the conclusion of George Perez's first Wonder Woman arc, Wonder Woman doesn't even punch Ares at all though. She lassos him and uses her magic rope to convince him that his end goal of world destruction would lead to his own suffering as well. You can say that the Post Crisis stories had better fight scenes, but I keep providing examples that it didn't really or at least didn't match the standards people like you set up.

BANNED

In the conclusion of George Perez's first Wonder Woman arc, Wonder Woman doesn't even punch Ares at all though. She lassos him and uses her magic rope to convince him that his end goal of world destruction would lead to his own suffering as well. You can say that the Post Crisis stories had better fight scenes, but I keep providing examples that it didn't really or at least didn't match the standards people like you set up.
    Because Post Crisis Ares is a massive threat that can stomp Superman and Wonder Woman combined. I have no problem with Wonder Woman having to find different ways to stop certain opponents that are out of her power league. As long as we also get some other battles where we can get cool classic and powerful action. That is not the case with current WW. And they even turned Ares into a basic brick based on what we have seen.

Let's see. Some cool Pre 52 WW fights. WW vs Cheetah in Savage Moon. Her fight against Shimtar. Vs Superman in The Witch Is Back. Superman again in Sacrifice, one of her fights against Circe in Jimmenez run. Overpowering Hercules. Her fight against Amazo when he had the power of the jl. Beating a White Martian. Fighting mythological monsters. Punching a nuke and coming out of there totally unharmed. Her fight against super inteligent Gorillas that had gear to fight Superman level opponents. Fighting Omacs, falling into lava totally unharmed. Her battles against Genocide. Her fight against Powergirl, etc.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-20-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I can see where some think the action in the title has been lacking since new 52 started, that was one of the major complaints of the Azzerello run and definitely of the Robinson run. When she has resorted to action it has been with the sword and shield. It's not that I mind her using her shield, but Wonder Woman should never reach for her sword first (in my mind.) But then Wonder Woman and the Amazons have not been about peace but about warfare since the start of the New 52 never more on display than when Azzerello make it possible for her to summon not her lasso, not a shield...but TWO swords with her bracelets.
    I truly hope that Wilson is able to let go of the sword and shield and gets back to her lasso and bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    Because Post Crisis Ares is a massive threat that can stomp Superman and Wonder Woman combined. I have no problem with Wonder Woman having to find different ways to stop certain opponents that are out of her power league. As long as we also get some other battles where we can get cool classic and powerful action. That is not the case with current WW. And they even turned Ares into a basic brick based on what we have seen.

Let's see. Some cool Pre 52 WW fights. WW vs Cheetah in Savage Moon. Her fight against Shimtar. Vs Superman in The Witch Is Back. Superman again in Sacrifice, one of her fights against Circe in Jimmenez run. Overpowering Hercules. Her fight against Amazo when he had the power of the jl. Beating a White Martian. Fighting mythological monsters. Punching a nuke and coming out of there totally unharmed. Her fight against super inteligent Gorillas that had gear to fight Superman level opponents. Fighting Omacs, falling into lava totally unharmed. Her battles against Genocide. Her fight against Powergirl, etc.
    During Gail Simone's run, WW does takes an axe to Ares head. These characters have widely inconsistent power levels, which you would expect considering the different authors wrote these characters over a span of a bout 30 years.

That being said, I don't find many of the fights you've cited as being particularly memorable, with most featuring Wonder Woman simply out powering her foes. I think its telling too, that you cited a lot of fights that take place outside her comic book, where, she is most often characterized as a female Superman. The Superman fight when Maxwell Lord controls his mind is in particular not a good fight, because she should be able to use her lasso to shake off the spell.