Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    During Gail Simone's run, WW does takes an axe to Ares head. These characters have widely inconsistent power levels, which you would expect considering the different authors wrote these characters over a span of a bout 30 years.

That being said, I don't find many of the fights you've cited as being particularly memorable, with most featuring Wonder Woman simply out powering her foes. I think its telling too, that you cited a lot of fights that take place outside her comic book, where, she is most often characterized as a female Superman. The Superman fight when Maxwell Lord controls his mind is in particular not a good fight, because she should be able to use her lasso to shake off the spell.
    For the most part. Ares was writen as a threat above WW and SM level in Post Crisis.

All the fights i mentioned have far better feats than current WW. And many of them happened in WW title. Superman, Cheetah, Genocide, Powergirl, Omacs, etc. The Sacrifice fight had WW trying to use the lasso to break SM's mind control. But he dodged the lasso. And what is wrong with WW having fights that show her power? Can't she win a fight based on power? Is there any rule saying that she can only win bsased on gear and skills?
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-21-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Diana is a God and she should be overpowered. The same goes for her villains who are mostly God level characters. The problem is writers depicting her and her villain's as low or mid-tier characters
    Neither she nor her villains are doing anything that shows they are God-like beings.
    I have a problem with this as well with powerful characters in general. Writers too often write them from a human perspective and try to "scale down" their abilities to make them seem like normal people. But half the attraction of superheroes is the "super" in "superhuman abilities." That's not to say that even the most powerful characters shouldn't have vulnerabilities but writers and editors stray too far in certain directions as far as portraying powers and weaknesses. Editorial discipline in superhero comics has particularly suffered in the last 20 years.

I don't like the idea of Diana being overly vulnerable to human weapons or human violence. She is a goddess who can take punches from Doomsday, some regular person with a blade or a handgun shouldn't be able to harm her.

I hope things improve. The first arc wasn’t bad, just kind of ok. It’s good enough for me to stick around a little longer. I’m really hoping for a good strong run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I have a problem with this as well with powerful characters in general. Writers too often write them from a human perspective and try to "scale down" their abilities to make them seem like normal people. But half the attraction of superheroes is the "super" in "superhuman abilities." That's not to say that even the most powerful characters shouldn't have vulnerabilities but writers and editors stray too far in certain directions as far as portraying powers and weaknesses. Editorial discipline in superhero comics has particularly suffered in the last 20 years.

I don't like the idea of Diana being overly vulnerable to human weapons or human violence. She is a goddess who can take punches from Doomsday, some regular person with a blade or a handgun shouldn't be able to harm her.
    What do you guys think of this? Is she saying she likes an street level approach here or what? Doesn't sound like she is going to give us epic and powerful adventures with Diana.

https://screenrant.com/dc-comic-wond...willow-wilson/

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    What do you guys think of this? Is she saying she likes an street level approach here or what? Doesn't sound like she is going to give us epic and powerful adventures with Diana.

https://screenrant.com/dc-comic-wond...willow-wilson/
    No, she is saying that she finds a street-level perspective valuable, in order to say more about our world and examine it better. She is doing it explicitly in the context of this specific issue, where that perspective comes to the forefront. And she uses it to give another perspective on Diana and how she views our world.

Nothing in that interview says Diana won't punch Titans later on. In fact, I can just about guarantee that Diana will do so in the near future.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    No, she is saying that she finds a street-level perspective valuable, in order to say more about our world and examine it better. She is doing it explicitly in the context of this specific issue, where that perspective comes to the forefront. And she uses it to give another perspective on Diana and how she views our world.

Nothing in that interview says Diana won't punch Titans later on. In fact, I can just about guarantee that Diana will do so in the near future.
    We'll see. The lack of action, power epic adventure type of vibe has been going on for a while in Wonder land. In and outside her title. So you have to excuse me for sounding paranoid. I just want to avoid the feeling of being disappointed again.
    Last edited by starlight25; 06-10-2019 at 07:46 PM.

My money's on GWW providing an interesting and enjoyable run. She's already laying down some interesting subplots and fun characterization with supporting characters and starting to include Amazon adversaries (Giganta, etc.) who rarely get storytime. It also appears that we'll finally be returning home to paradise (yay!) and this is the most interesting the gods have been since Rucka's first run and Azz's handling of Hera in his run.

I like that GWW's Diana is not perfect and has a lot to figure out and that gives her a lot of room to play with Diana's character, choices, and actions. My bet is there will be more +s than -s in her run, for me.

Very much agree with WonderScott. She clearly has grounded her run in Rucka's Rebirth run, has developed the situation with Themyscira and Olympos in a new and interesting way, and is clearly willing to tell stories where Diana is placed narratively at the centre. This is very much different from Robinson's run. The absence of Diana in #63 is felt in the narrative and shapes it.

And I can't take the complaints about the lack of superhero feats seriously, especially not when you compare it with the start of Rucka's run in 2003 or Simone's in 2008. Neither of which featured much in action in the first few issues.

BANNED

Very much agree with WonderScott. She clearly has grounded her run in Rucka's Rebirth run, has developed the situation with Themyscira and Olympos in a new and interesting way, and is clearly willing to tell stories where Diana is placed narratively at the centre. This is very much different from Robinson's run. The absence of Diana in #63 is felt in the narrative and shapes it.

And I can't take the complaints about the lack of superhero feats seriously, especially not when you compare it with the start of Rucka's run in 2003 or Simone's in 2008. Neither of which featured much in action in the first few issues.
    The first 6 issues didn't show much of Diana as a character. So what narrative with Diana in the center?

The lack of power feats has been going on for a long time since n52. That is the point. Ruka and Simone eventually embraced her powerhouse side, and had her doing hero stuff and showed exciting adventures. gww so far seems like another run where Diana does almost nothing, and where almost all her showings are generic sword and shield feats instead of her actual powers. I don't want to be paranoid, but it's hard for me to trust gww after so many runs giving us a glass half empty. Nothing so far suggests that things will be different with gww.

The first 6 issues didn't show much of Diana as a character. So what narrative with Diana in the center?
    She was present on two-thirds of the pages, and continually made new and active decisions that shaped how the narrative unfolded. The plot didn't make her decisions for her. The one big plot contribution from Steve Trevor depended on him realising that Diana was coming for him.

The lack of power feats has been going on for a long time since n52. That is the point. Ruka and Simone eventually embraced her powerhouse side, and had her doing hero stuff and showed exciting adventures. gww so far seems like another run where Diana does almost nothing, and where almost all her showings are generic sword and shield feats instead of her actual powers. I don't want to be paranoid, but it's hard for me to trust gww after so many runs giving us a glass half empty. Nothing so far suggests that things will be different with gww.
    So far, Wilson's run has shown far more of Diana than the first six issues of Rucka's run: 81 versus 64 pages, and that is with a lowered pagecount. Rucka's run was also rather lacking in various feats in the beginning, though I admit that the pages with her apprehending the dictator from his palace were impressive, but outside of that I couldn't note anything.

But right now you are letting your paranoia rule what you see, and I think it is blocking your ability to see what has been good about Wilson's run so far. She has opened up for a relation between Themyscira and Man's World (arguably Rucka's greatest mistake in Rebirth, blocking that off), set up a theme of integration with Diana as mediator, hinted at mysteries of Athena and what happened with the Amazons, re-introduced a bunch of supporting characters, and introduced a couple of new and interesting ones.

BANNED

She was present on two-thirds of the pages, and continually made new and active decisions that shaped how the narrative unfolded. The plot didn't make her decisions for her. The one big plot contribution from Steve Trevor depended on him realising that Diana was coming for him.

So far, Wilson's run has shown far more of Diana than the first six issues of Rucka's run: 81 versus 64 pages, and that is with a lowered pagecount. Rucka's run was also rather lacking in various feats in the beginning, though I admit that the pages with her apprehending the dictator from his palace were impressive, but outside of that I couldn't note anything.

But right now you are letting your paranoia rule what you see, and I think it is blocking your ability to see what has been good about Wilson's run so far. She has opened up for a relation between Themyscira and Man's World (arguably Rucka's greatest mistake in Rebirth, blocking that off), set up a theme of integration with Diana as mediator, hinted at mysteries of Athena and what happened with the Amazons, re-introduced a bunch of supporting characters, and introduced a couple of new and interesting ones.
    She didn't really make a big contribution to make the conflict stop in the just war arc. And didn't stop ares either. The goddess of love did, even when she previously said only Diana could stop him.

I'm paranoid because the lack of classic powerhouse hero feats and epic adventure stuff in WW, is something that has been lacking for many years, in and outside of her title. This didn't start last month. So what hope could i have at this point that things will be different in this run? I don't want to have expectations and then be disappointed again.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Issue 66 had a titan defeated by falling off a cliff. Still no improvement when it comes to making Wonder Woman's world feel epic and powerful.

the preview of issue 72 doesn't seem to improve WW in terms of power

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    the preview of issue 72 doesn't seem to improve WW in terms of power
    I think at this point is safe to say that gww is unable to write a powerful Wonder Woman. And the characters she created get the spotlight over WW.

It was boring. I had such hopes especially after GWW brought Aphrodite and other Gods but....