Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

All-Star Squadron #24. One of my favorite covers from this series.

AllStarSquadron24.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post

AllStarSquadron24.jpg

Ordway was at the top of his form back in those days.

Peace

Mighty Member

"That makes one of us."

Really wouldn't be a problem for you and others here though (that is if you're willing to be open minded about the concept) as something what I mentioned would basically result in JSofA not remembering Supes and co. being apart of their roster (although, I'm recently thinking maybe they could in modern times) given my made-up scenario.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I’d love to see another comic set in the DCU of the 1940s again. A lot of meat on that bone. Once the JSA is back, hopefully someone good will take another crack at this era.

Does anyone have any ideas who would work for this? Ordway seems like a good fit, but I don’t know if he would be a big enough draw beyond us old timers and I believe he’s not really interested in being DC’s “nostalgia guy” anymore

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I’d love to see another comic set in the DCU of the 1940s again. A lot of meat on that bone. Once the JSA is back, hopefully someone good will take another crack at this era.

Does anyone have any ideas who would work for this? Ordway seems like a good fit, but I don’t know if he would be a big enough draw beyond us old timers and I believe he’s not really interested in being DC’s “nostalgia guy” anymore
    I don't know how close he is to wrapping up his career, but Brent Anderson's work on Astro City convinces me that he could capture the era.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Man, in my wildest dreams I'd love to see Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway reunite for an All-Star Squadron reunion, but I know DC will never allow that to happen, even though Roy has said umpteen times that he would love to write these characters again. So...I really liked Ed Brubaker's and Steve Eptin's work on The Marvel Project which had a similarity to All-Star, so I would be on board for that.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Yaaaasssssss!!!! One of my favorite 80’s Pre-Crisis books. I only wish we would have gotten more crossovers with the JLoA there, but I’ll take my Crisis on Three Earth’s any day. Still my favorite JLA/JSA yearly crossovers to this day.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Didn't care for the book at first knew of Steel but I was like whatever, the book won me over when it became a defacto JSA title, with Per Degaton and one of my 3 favorite DC characters of all time, Green Lantern Alan Scott became a mainstay on the book. After the Brainwave issues hit, then the Ultra Humanite to Ian Karkull (sp?") I was hooked until issue #50 when Harbringer and COIE (while one of the greatest limited series ever) ruined the Squadron just like Byrne's Clark was never Superboy ruined the Legion.

Extraordinary Member

AllStarSquadron24.jpg
    Tarantula was one of my favorite characters of All Star Squadron. I knew nothing about the character so it was nice seeing him developed. Same with Liberty Belle and Johnny Quick.

Boisterously Confused

AllStarSquadron24.jpg
    Thomas and Ordway were pretty good at being faithful to the classic characters, and keeping updates to a minimum, but this was one that was WELL worth it. Far better costume than the Sandman-knockoff he was created with.

BTW: is there any backstory on how Tarantula was created with so similar a look to Sandman's post-fedora getup? I don't mean the revisionist explanation Thomas fed us in issue 66; the reason the creators came up with such similar guises back in the original comics.

I just purchased the complete Infinity Inc. series, and I can’t wait to see how 1984’s Earth Two was.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    BTW: is there any backstory on how Tarantula was created with so similar a look to Sandman's post-fedora getup? I don't mean the revisionist explanation Thomas fed us in issue 66; the reason the creators came up with such similar guises back in the original comics.
    I don't think they thought/worried about such things back then. The ideas of the shared continuity and a shared universe weren't as predominate or developed in quite the same way as they became during the Silver Age and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Tarantula was one of my favorite characters of All Star Squadron. I knew nothing about the character so it was nice seeing him developed. Same with Liberty Belle and Johnny Quick.
    Other than Steel, which was not an original golden age character, Johnny Quick was the one I was most familiar with of the non-JSA members.

Peace

Rich Buckler doesn’t get the recognition that he deserves on this book.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Fantastic Member

It's worth noting that D.C. is giving All-Star Squadron issues 14, 15 and 50-60 the deluxe treatment this fall with their hardcover Crisis collection. Hope Roy gets a little money from the reprinting of so much of his material!
    https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Box-Se.../dp/1401295177