Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default On a desert island with only ONE softcover Superman TPB, which one?

Ok so I specify softcover trade so that no one can answer with some crazy omnibus or similar.

You are on a desert island and can only read ONE softcover Superman trade, which one do you choose?

I'm looking forward to hearing what collection of issues you want to forever have with you.

Superman: Emperor Joker (Loeb/McGuinness - among various other creators)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 12-18-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added a few words.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

All-Star Superman is collected in one volume and likely to be the most common response going forward-- hell, it was going to be mine-- but for fun I think I'll go with Secret Identity. I was this close to selecting For All Seasons for its timeless quality, but frankly Secret Identity is just so unique and a fun read.

If All-Star and Red Son aren't the two most popular titles in this thread, I'll be surprised.

I'm torn between Red Son - which is my personal favourite - and The Return of Superman, largely because it is also great, but also huge.

BANNED

The Return of Superman accompanied most of my trips abroad

Retired

SUPERMAN IN THE SIXTIES. The one problem I foresee is that the cardstock used for the cover wasn't very good and curls up, so it would probably not survive the elements for long.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    SUPERMAN IN THE SIXTIES. The one problem I foresee is that the cardstock used for the cover wasn't very good and curls up, so it would probably not survive the elements for long.
    This would be my choice too. It's got so many good stories in it. Or the first GA collection.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm torn between Red Son - which is my personal favourite - and The Return of Superman, largely because it is also great, but also huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The Return of Superman accompanied most of my trips abroad
    I came in here expecting to be the only one who said The Return of Superman...I am very pleasantly surprised! I upgraded a few years ago to the newer tpb's that split up "Reign" and "Return", but I still have my very dog-eared copy of the whole shebang that I read a thousand times as a kid.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 12-19-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Seeing as how All Star is the general go to response for most mine would be a toss up between Birthright and any of Millar's Superman animated trade paperbacks.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

secret identity probably. all star was great and i love it to death, but there's something about secret identity that's always stuck with me.

In Exile would be my go to, followed by Return. They're childhood favourites (along with Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite and Time and Time Again)

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This would be my choice too. It's got so many good stories in it. Or the first GA collection.
    I was always critical of the decades TPBs because they never had enough of the stories I loved, but SUPERMAN IN THE SIXTIES came closest and it had my favourite story, "The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I would definitely want something larger with good variety. Trial of Superman would be great, but it's not the highest page count for a single arc. So the twelve issue stories, namely All Star, and the golden age collections are good. Except they don't have the variety of something like Superman in the Eighties. Many Worlds of Krypton is as dense and varied, but doesn't have enough Superman. So in the end I'd say the Past and Future trade.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was always critical of the decades TPBs because they never had enough of the stories I loved, but SUPERMAN IN THE SIXTIES came closest and it had my favourite story, "The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman."
    That's probably my favorite Superman story of all time!
    Assassinate Putin!

There are some really great stuff to choose from. My automatic choice shall be 'All Star Superman'. Its my favorite comic book. Period.