Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Young Justice#1 Spoilers & Discussion

spoilers:
    Jenny Hex is pulled over by a cop, she tells him she has something in her truck that she would like Superman to look into. Gemworld warriors attack. Robin makes the save for Jenny. We then flashback to earlier in the day where we find Tim reuniting with Cassie, who is a bit reclusive, trying to hide something. In the present, Tim is overwhelmed and Cassie comes out of hiding to save him. Impulse arrives on the scene and immediately begins calling the team "Young Justice". There is a flash of energy and the team are transported elsewhere. Tim is confronted by Amethyst, while Bart reunites with Conner
    end of spoilers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This book works as its own thing, and also as a spoof of Johns' Justice League opening story.

But yeah, lots of fun. Cassie and Tim 100% know each other, and she's still Zeus's granddaughter. Bart also knows Tim and Cassie. But maybe most surprising is that Tim seems to know Conner, and, along with Bart, acknowledges Young Justice as something that used to be a thing.

Looks like the seven crisis are actually going to be a plot point. Bendis retweeted review that speculated that the seven were COIE, Zero Hour, IC, Final Crisis, Flashpoint, Multiversity, and Metal.

Superman was an EXTREMELY strong presence in this book. I honestly think the word Superman was said more times in this book than both of his actual books combined. It's actually kind of cool the way they talk about him. Cassie even moved to Metropolis because it's a common thing to do in the DCU if you want less stress in your life, because he's always looking out for you. That's nice bit of texture. Bendis even continues his gag with the two ladies from Action 1000.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Always Rakzo

Repeating myself:

You people wanted Young Justice back?

Well, you will get it... just in an almost non-existent plot and an opening that just revolves around the idea of how much people wanted Young Justice back.

The characters simply appear out of nowhere without much rhyme or reason which I suppose is good for the sake of fanservice but it lets too many questions unanswered about previous incarnations and interpretations that it simply doesn't work well as a first issue.

The art was pretty at the very least.

Is a beginning I guess, just not a truly satisfying one.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

This was a great read. I am loving jinny hex. Everyone seems to know everyone else. I loved the whole highschool Réunion vibe with cassie, tim, bart and conner. I wonder superman will make an appearance. Where was he flying of to at the start anyway. I hope the reason is explained and good.That beard did not go with that look for kon

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This book works as its own thing, and also as a spoof of Johns' Justice League opening story.

But yeah, lots of fun. Cassie and Tim 100% know each other, and she's still Zeus's granddaughter. Bart also knows Tim and Cassie. But maybe most surprising is that Tim seems to know Conner, and, along with Bart, acknowledges Young Justice as something that used to be a thing.

Looks like the seven crisis are actually going to be a plot point. Bendis retweeted review that speculated that the seven were COIE, Zero Hour, IC, Final Crisis, Flashpoint, Multiversity, and Metal.

Superman was an EXTREMELY strong presence in this book. I honestly think the word Superman was said more times in this book than both of his actual books combined. It's actually kind of cool the way they talk about him. Cassie even moved to Metropolis because it's a common thing to do in the DCU if you want less stress in your life, because he's always looking out for you. That's nice bit of texture. Bendis even continues his gag with the two ladies from Action 1000.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Tim knows Bart, Cassie yes. New 52 Tim has supposedly never been Robin only Red Robin, what happened to that plot point? Looking forward to seeing how Conner and Bart know each other, in addition to why Conner is back in the original Super Boy outfit with Jacket, instead of t-shirt and jeans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Tim knows Bart, Cassie yes. New 52 Tim has supposedly never been Robin only Red Robin, what happened to that plot point? Looking forward to seeing how Conner and Bart know each other, in addition to why Conner is back in the original Super Boy outfit with Jacket, instead of t-shirt and jeans.
    Knowing Bendis, he basically rectoned everything so they would know each other.

Actually, Tim was given back his pre-Flashpoint origin in Detective Comics Rebirth. It was when he ran into his older self from the future. So, that's one thing Bendis didn't do.

BANNED

What's happened to Stephanie? At the conclusion of 'Tec Rebirth, she was travelling with Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    What's happened to Stephanie? At the conclusion of 'Tec Rebirth, she was travelling with Tim.
    Probably sent off to fight a war, aged up several years, and came back a war veteran after fighting alongside her criminal father the whole time...

So, I don't know, and I doubt Bendis really cares. He did, after all, randomly bring Jor-El back when the last time he was seen, he turned into space dust and had been the brains behind a lot of terrorist actions the world over.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Probably sent off to fight a war, aged up several years, and came back a war veteran after fighting alongside her criminal father the whole time...

So, I don't know, and I doubt Bendis really cares. He did, after all, randomly bring Jor-El back when the last time he was seen, he turned into space dust and had been the brains behind a lot of terrorist actions the world over.
    Dude, I feel you. But this thread is not for that. People(me included) have been waiting for the return of young justice and Conner. From what I know Tim went to college. Unless his university is in Metropolis. He should not be there at all

Tim's time as Robin was reinstated after his original origin "A lonely Place of Dying" was made cannon again. Happened in Detective comics about a year and a half ago.

This isn't the new 52.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So the whole storyline where he meets his older self and never heard of Conner never happened? I don't read the Bat-books so I don't know what happened there. I just know that he told his older self that he never heard of Conner.
    Assassinate Putin!

That would be my only characterization gripe. I'm more than willing to buy that simply between then and now, Tim's memories of Conner began to return as Dr. Manhattan's changes continue to weaken. But it would be a huge missed opportunity to not see that recollection. Just jumping in to Tim knowing him again is a letdown after such a big deal was made over him not remembering.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Loved this. So much fun. And not a grim or a dark in sight. Best Bendis issue I've read in a really long time.

Impulse stole the issue for me, but man is it nice to have the band back together (mostly).

I liked it. Honestly I simply don’t care about going through all the trouble of trying to reconcile the YJ gen’s New 52 history with the characters as we know them. I utterly loathe what happened with Tim, Cassie, and Kon during that time period and if Bendis wants to just ignore it, I’m all for it. I’m so happy Gleason is on art, he’s so damn good. Kon’s 90s outfit has never looked so good. Cassie and Tim also look great. Bart feels like his good old self again.

As a first issue I enjoyed it. Will Bendis keep it up? We’ll see but for now I’m happy.