Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 117
  1. #76
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Why what happened?
    Besides Jon aged up
    If you've read one comic book by Bendis, you may be like me and can't stand his inane writing style.

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you've read one comic book by Bendis, you may be like me and can't stand his inane writing style.
    I've only read House of M

  3. #78
    Astonishing Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Why what happened?
    Besides Jon aged up
    Oh, Lois and Clark are now, by definition, awful parents. Lois "needs to have her own space" and thus lives separately from Clark (and hid her return from him until he accidentally came across her). Lois said "baby" more times than the Justin Bieber song when talking with Clark. The whole Rogol Zaar thing went nowhere...

    I keep hearing praise for how well Clark is written in the books. But that's more than offset for me by how awful the rest of the Super Family is written. And while having great art is a plus, it doesn't do anything for me if the characters are badly written.

  4. #79
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Jon, Dick, Jason, and Damian all aged up.
    Tim and Barbara aged down.

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Tomasi, Priest, and Taylor would be my top pick.

    Im hoping the need to be away from Clark doesn't last long. What I want to know is how aging up Jon is gonna affect his and Damian's relationship.

  6. #81
    Spectacular Member babybats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Tomasi, Priest, and Taylor would be my top pick.

    Im hoping the need to be away from Clark doesn't last long. What I want to know is how aging up Jon is gonna affect his and Damian's relationship.
    They could conceivably still be friends since Damian does mostly hang out with people older than him. But it couldn't ever be the same. Jon would definitely see Damian as a little kid, and Damian would be upset that his friend was taken away. There would definitely be a lot of distance there and I can see Damian avoiding Jon because of it. (On the other hand a writer just might not address it at all, have them meet once with one of them making a height joke, and then never have them team up again. Because comics.)

  7. #82
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    310

    Default

    I agree with all the choices who want Tomasi Priest and Taylor be the next writers for batman

  8. #83
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,690

    Default

    Have revolving creators that aren't bound by ridiculous long runs, tell a couple story arcs and be done pass the baton on to next team.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

  9. #84
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Have revolving creators that aren't bound by ridiculous long runs, tell a couple story arcs and be done pass the baton on to next team.
    That may not be good for long-term sales, however. If you get an arc that a reader doesn't like, the reader may stop buying the book and not go back to buying it again even when a new writer begins a new arc.

  10. #85
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    125

    Default

    James Robinson. Just out of spite. Readers these days do not like him because he writes the old school Batman of the 70s-90s and actually cares about legacy characters.

  11. #86
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    James Robinson. Just out of spite. Readers these days do not like him because he writes the old school Batman of the 70s-90s and actually cares about legacy characters.
    Sometimes he does, and sometimes he seems to treat them like dirt.

    Robinson wrote a recent arc for Detective Comics with Two-Face I was thinking about trying, but when I read some of the preview pages that seemed to be horribly written, I dropped that idea.

  12. #87
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That may not be good for long-term sales, however. If you get an arc that a reader doesn't like, the reader may stop buying the book and not go back to buying it again even when a new writer begins a new arc.
    This is Batman.

    A book where folks were protesting Duke Thomas in the book by not buying it. Batman still SOLD.

    You could get away with it. Especially if you list all the writers ahead of time.

    If you offered Priest, Bendis, Johns, David Walker, Orlando & Brian Hill for 4-6 issue arcs- you wouldn't see a sale drop.

    Also in the LONG run it would be better for DC as a whole because you are showcasing various writers to a larger crowd.

    Lets say Walker does a decent to great job-that BENEFITS Naomi and any other book DC is thinking of using him with. As well as other books he is working on.

    Same with Brian Hill-even when he leaves comics-it helps DC to have a guy in the film industry with Batman writer under his belt.

    It helps more than hinders.

  13. #88
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sometimes he does, and sometimes he seems to treat them like dirt.

    Robinson wrote a recent arc for Detective Comics with Two-Face I was thinking about trying, but when I read some of the preview pages that seemed to be horribly written, I dropped that idea.
    That's "new readers" i was talking about. His voice for Batman is so 70s they hated it lol. I have yet seen examples where he treats legacies like dirt.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 01-10-2019 at 08:15 PM.

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you've read one comic book by Bendis, you may be like me and can't stand his inane writing style.
    Bendis has a real Sorkin style of writing, very punchy; but I can see why some would not like him.

    For me I wouldn't mind a lighter take on Batman though especially because Bendis knows how to write comedy, his Ultimate Spider-Man run is my definitive Peter Parker and his New Avengers is only second to Hickman.

    Batman has been so grimdark for so long, it's been nearly a decade. The only time we seen some lightness is when Tomasi was writing Batman & Robin and even then it was far and few between.

    Jeph Loeb also would have been a great pick IF he still was writing at the same caliber he wrote The Long Halloween, he just got emotion so well without it becoming melodramatic; I mean Spider-Man Blue still gets me everytime

  15. #90
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    That's "new readers" I was talking about. His voice for Batman is so 70s they hated it lol. I have yet seen examples where he treats legacies like dirt.
    Okay. The 70s too long ago though. Also, while the writing is the 70s, the art is now, with 100% grim looking Batman instead of say, Neal Adams expressive Batman, so there's a disconnect there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •