Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 117
  1. #91
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Humm, thinking it over, and why not have a woman writer take on Batman. A few I can think of:

    Gail Simon, she's had the most history with the bat family and can, when given a chance write a good solid yarn, as her BOP run shows.

    Marjorie Scott's, wrote two series for IDW Transformers and played a lot with the state of mind of the two main lead of Starscream and windblade. Can write strong action too.

    Marjorie Liu, helped put X23 in the eyes of a lot of people and has a really cool style when it comes to action, and she already wrote batman night Walker, so she has a voice for bruce.

    Leigh Bardugo, writer of Crooked kingdom and at least the wonder woman novel. Shes a screen writer so moving in to comics wouldn't be hard.

    G. Willow Wilson, I think her take on Bruce would be interesting. Made Ms. Marvel a fan favorite and shes sort of has the same staying power like spiderman.

    Kelly sue Decconik, not sure I spelled her last name right, but has a strong view on superheroes and could bring depth to Bruce and his family. Not to mention she made me want to read Carol Danvers.

    I would also offer up James Robert's, though the British humor might be a bit much for some.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 01-10-2019 at 11:00 PM.

  2. #92
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    137

    Default

    He's a novelist and not a comic writer, a bestseller by any list you choose, and a master world builder so I don't see him ever taking a comic gig, even Batman, but his understanding of Gotham, most of the rogues, the Robins and Bruce and what forms their cores, and Alfred Pennyworth as an individual and in his relationships is unparalleled by any active comic writer: Nick Harkaway.

    Tigerman is the best Batman story produced since...The Ultimate Evil, which comic fans generally don't know or talk about, but serious readers regularly stumble upon and scream out "Holy ----, this is mind blowing! Why isn't Batman regularly like this?!" (Because comics isn't an industry for people with 20+ years in law enforcement and as many successful thrillers published.)

    It's a rare writer who can have me complete 400 pages in four sittings and then turn right back to the front and starting over to catch all the clues and red herrings all the while wondering why I had to look for the perfect Alfred and his boys story outside of comics, and why aren't the cast of Gotham doing this movie? Harkaway ought to be required reading for anyone working at DC or planning to because it does get to the core of all the regular characters as well as Gotham and why people stay despite being in a different universe. If I can't have Harkaway writing Batman, I at least want the writers to read and study Tigerman because despite what King fans would have us believe, Bruce is not an incel who needs Catwoman to rectify his existence. Romantic relationships have traditionally taken a back seat to his mentoring and parenting for a reason: that's the core of who both he and Alfred are. The single parent with child relationship, particularly the found family aspect, has been the central theme of Batman for almost eighty years. Not BatCat. It's the story of people saving others and becoming family, a man realizing that in his attempt to save the child, in putting that child before his own wants, he saves the world.

    That's what Batman is, and Harkaway is the first person in almost eighty years to sit down, and as his main character says about Batman, gets it.

    Otherwise I'd like Priest. Maybe Seely or Orlando. A female writer, not Simone though. The only thing of hers that I've liked was the new 52 Secret Six, due to her I honestly believed I didn't like Barbara Gordon. Which is wrong, I like Barbara, just when she's not Simone's or based off of her Barbara Gordon.

  3. #93
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    He's a novelist and not a comic writer, a bestseller by any list you choose, and a master world builder so I don't see him ever taking a comic gig, even Batman, but his understanding of Gotham, most of the rogues, the Robins and Bruce and what forms their cores, and Alfred Pennyworth as an individual and in his relationships is unparalleled by any active comic writer: Nick Harkaway.

    Tigerman is the best Batman story produced since...The Ultimate Evil, which comic fans generally don't know or talk about, but serious readers regularly stumble upon and scream out "Holy ----, this is mind blowing! Why isn't Batman regularly like this?!" (Because comics isn't an industry for people with 20+ years in law enforcement and as many successful thrillers published.)

    It's a rare writer who can have me complete 400 pages in four sittings and then turn right back to the front and starting over to catch all the clues and red herrings all the while wondering why I had to look for the perfect Alfred and his boys story outside of comics, and why aren't the cast of Gotham doing this movie? Harkaway ought to be required reading for anyone working at DC or planning to because it does get to the core of all the regular characters as well as Gotham and why people stay despite being in a different universe. If I can't have Harkaway writing Batman, I at least want the writers to read and study Tigerman because despite what King fans would have us believe, Bruce is not an incel who needs Catwoman to rectify his existence. Romantic relationships have traditionally taken a back seat to his mentoring and parenting for a reason: that's the core of who both he and Alfred are. The single parent with child relationship, particularly the found family aspect, has been the central theme of Batman for almost eighty years. Not BatCat. It's the story of people saving others and becoming family, a man realizing that in his attempt to save the child, in putting that child before his own wants, he saves the world.

    That's what Batman is, and Harkaway is the first person in almost eighty years to sit down, and as his main character says about Batman, gets it.

    Otherwise I'd like Priest. Maybe Seely or Orlando. A female writer, not Simone though. The only thing of hers that I've liked was the new 52 Secret Six, due to her I honestly believed I didn't like Barbara Gordon. Which is wrong, I like Barbara, just when she's not Simone's or based off of her Barbara Gordon.
    Thanks for the recommendation for Nick. Going to have to look him up at the book store and library.

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sometimes he does, and sometimes he seems to treat them like dirt.

    Robinson wrote a recent arc for Detective Comics with Two-Face I was thinking about trying, but when I read some of the preview pages that seemed to be horribly written, I dropped that idea.
    It was *really* bad. Utterly nonsensical in places. Robinsonís 90ís work is classic but his recent stuff.. yikes.
    Cheers - CL

  5. #95
    Incredible Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Have revolving creators that aren't bound by ridiculous long runs, tell a couple story arcs and be done pass the baton on to next team.

    That's an interesting idea actually. In spite of this, i suspect most mainstream comic book readers actually prefer the long runs rather than one-off story arcs.

  6. #96
    Fantastic Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Humm, thinking it over, and why not have a woman writer take on Batman. A few I can think of:

    Gail Simon, she's had the most history with the bat family and can, when given a chance write a good solid yarn, as her BOP run shows.

    Marjorie Scott's, wrote two series for IDW Transformers and played a lot with the state of mind of the two main lead of Starscream and windblade. Can write strong action too.

    Marjorie Liu, helped put X23 in the eyes of a lot of people and has a really cool style when it comes to action, and she already wrote batman night Walker, so she has a voice for bruce.

    Leigh Bardugo, writer of Crooked kingdom and at least the wonder woman novel. Shes a screen writer so moving in to comics wouldn't be hard.

    G. Willow Wilson, I think her take on Bruce would be interesting. Made Ms. Marvel a fan favorite and shes sort of has the same staying power like spiderman.

    Kelly sue Decconik, not sure I spelled her last name right, but has a strong view on superheroes and could bring depth to Bruce and his family. Not to mention she made me want to read Carol Danvers.

    I would also offer up James Robert's, though the British humor might be a bit much for some.
    Ohh.. I totally forgot about Simone, I change my mind, I would definitely want her to write Bats

  7. #97
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    That's an interesting idea actually. In spite of this, i suspect most mainstream comic book readers actually prefer the long runs rather than one-off story arcs.
    I think as long as the writer has a plan for enough arcs to last 30 or so issues, it's a good idea. Strange Apparitions, the classic run by Steve Englehart, was only 10 issues. There's the problem of the writer getting a handle on writing Batman, which can take a good few arcs (Scott Snyder says he felt like a fraud until Zero Year), so there has to be a minimum run length to accommodate new Batman writers. Another problem is having Batman be written by too many writers in too short a time period, which can create inconsistent characterization and a feeling of everything being disconnected, so that's a point in favor of longer runs. One thing I give Tom King a lot of credit for is maintaining high quality art on a doubleshipped title, and I hope to see his system of rotating artists continue so that we can keep getting Batman on a faster basis.
    Last edited by TheJudge95; 01-11-2019 at 06:18 PM.

  8. #98
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Chuck dixon

  9. #99
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,746

    Default

    Dashiell Hammett.

    (So what if he died back in 1961.)

  10. #100
    Fantastic Member Gurz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Humm, thinking it over, and why not have a woman writer take on Batman. A few I can think of:

    Gail Simon, she's had the most history with the bat family and can, when given a chance write a good solid yarn, as her BOP run shows.

    Marjorie Scott's, wrote two series for IDW Transformers and played a lot with the state of mind of the two main lead of Starscream and windblade. Can write strong action too.

    Marjorie Liu, helped put X23 in the eyes of a lot of people and has a really cool style when it comes to action, and she already wrote batman night Walker, so she has a voice for bruce.

    Leigh Bardugo, writer of Crooked kingdom and at least the wonder woman novel. Shes a screen writer so moving in to comics wouldn't be hard.

    G. Willow Wilson, I think her take on Bruce would be interesting. Made Ms. Marvel a fan favorite and shes sort of has the same staying power like spiderman.

    Kelly sue Decconik, not sure I spelled her last name right, but has a strong view on superheroes and could bring depth to Bruce and his family. Not to mention she made me want to read Carol Danvers.

    I would also offer up James Robert's, though the British humor might be a bit much for some.
    I don't know... They all seems to achive success with female characters and all but... Look i don't want an equal female partner to Bruce, just to be pc... Do you have a female General in army for every Male General ? or in mafia do you have Female bosses equal for every male boss. No, you have 1 boss and in Batfamily, that's Batman. They shall all obey him and take orders from him. If the writter have this mind set... i wouldn't have any problem with his or her run, i guess. As far as i'm conserned only Greg Rucka should be kept away from Batman... After what he did with wonder woman, and how he ended death and maidens... he seems to be that guy who is like ''oh i'm a dirty boy and she's a goddess'', and never gets on top in bed. He always gives the upper hand to the girls, he enjoyes that kind of life but it pisses me off to no end.
    Last edited by Gurz; 01-12-2019 at 06:06 PM.

  11. #101
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    As far as i'm conserned only Greg Rucka should be kept away from Batman... After what he did with wonder woman, and how he ended death and maidens... he seems to be that guy who is like ''oh i'm a dirty boy and she's a goddess'', and never gets on top in bed. He always gives the upper hand to the girls, he enjoyes that kind of life but it pisses me off to no end.
    I see what you're saying but I liked Death and the Maidens, it showed the dark side of Ra's al Ghul who I always kind of admired, though he did do Talia dirty.

  12. #102
    Fantastic Member Gurz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    I see what you're saying but I liked Death and the Maidens, it showed the dark side of Ra's al Ghul who I always kind of admired, though he did do Talia dirty.
    I'm just talking about the end. Rucka is a good writter with a fetish that isn't sit right with me... lol I liked it until the end... after the ra's daughters were like ''get the hell out of here batman before we change our mind'' i was kind of angry, i was like eh rucka what are you gonna do, he likes to be under... lol But after he made wonder woman crush Batman's head under her boot... he crossed the line... i'm tired of his crap...
    Last edited by Gurz; 01-12-2019 at 06:43 PM.

  13. #103
    Spectacular Member babybats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I don't know... They all seems to achive success with female characters and all but... Look i don't want an equal female partner to Bruce, just to be pc... Do you have a female General in army for every Male General ? or in mafia do you have Female bosses equal for every male boss. No, you have 1 boss and in Batfamily, that's Batman. They shall all obey him and take orders from him. If the writter have this mind set... i wouldn't have any problem with his or her run, i guess. As far as i'm conserned only Greg Rucka should be kept away from Batman... After what he did with wonder woman, and how he ended death and maidens... he seems to be that guy who is like ''oh i'm a dirty boy and she's a goddess'', and never gets on top in bed. He always gives the upper hand to the girls, he enjoyes that kind of life but it pisses me off to no end.
    Why do you assume a female writer is going to...what...replace Batman with a woman?

  14. #104
    Fantastic Member Gurz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Why do you assume a female writer is going to...what...replace Batman with a woman?
    I don't even say that. lol

  15. #105
    Spectacular Member babybats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I don't even say that. lol
    So what exactly are you talking about?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •