Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    . . . I like Tom Taylor and he could be a good choice but I will say none of his actual long term runs on books have been that great. He writes some amazing one shot comics and AU stuff (injustice) where he can kinda do what he wants but whenever he gets an extended run on a comic in the main continuity it kinda disappoints.
    I really hated where Earth 2 went when he was writing that, but over at Marvel his Superior Iron Man was quite enjoyable (and I'm not a huge Marvel reader).

Another name to consider: Sholly Fisch

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Seeley. His Bat comics range from great to just pretty good at worst, and I think he has a firm grasp on the main Bat-Family members: Bruce, Dick (especially), Barbara and Damian. Maybe a little iffy on the rest, but as long as he's nailed them, I think he's fine. Plus I think he's one of the best writers for the classic villains we have currently: Catwoman, Croc, Penguin, Riddler, etc. he's solid with all of them. I don't think he'd be as experimental as King, but he'd probably be more consistent, which has it's pluses and minuses as evidenced by King's run.

We're probably going to get either Bendis or Priest though, which I wouldn't mind. My expectations for Priest would be pretty tempered though due to his thoughts on Dick. That's not that encouraging, especially in light of all the other crap we've gotten lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Personally I'd like to see Garth Ennis take on Batman.
    I know he hates superheroes, but I think that he might be attracted to the prospect of writing one of the traditionally highest selling titles in the industry right now, that I think he could deliver a potentially classic run.
    An Ennis Batman run would be fairly interesting, but I'd rather see him on Superman. Who is one of the very few superheroes he genuinely likes, and I think he'd be great for it. When he's not bitching and moaning about superheroes, he's very good. I'm three volumes into Preacher and loving it.

I may be misremembering, but didn't Seeley left Nightwing because he wasn't interested in keeping Dick in Blüdhaven? I doubt he would if he has to keep Bruce in Gotham.

Extraordinary Member

I would like to see Tomasi, Taylor or Seeley.

I really don't want Priest, his Deathstroke his to drawn out and convoluted for my taste. After King I really want someone who writers just fun linear stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I may be misremembering, but didn't Seeley left Nightwing because he wasn't interested in keeping Dick in Blüdhaven? I doubt he would if he has to keep Bruce in Gotham.
    That's because Dick in Bludhaven is extremely detrimental to the character and holds him back, whereas Bruce has always been in Gotham. Dick has no valuable stories connected to Bludhaven, all his major life events and all the people he cares about took place in Gotham, New York or scattered throughout the DCU.

Gotham is just Bruce's setting, always has been, always will be, so Seeley wouldn't have a problem with that.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

An Ennis Batman run would be fairly interesting, but I'd rather see him on Superman. Who is one of the very few superheroes he genuinely likes, and I think he'd be great for it. When he's not bitching and moaning about superheroes, he's very good. I'm three volumes into Preacher and loving it.
    A Garth Ennis Superman run would have to be Ennis's most 'pg', wholesome run on a character yet, unless you want Comet the Superhorse being retconned into being a child molester. He's just not the right for the character.

With Batman, however, seems more appropriate. On that title, he has more of a chance to bring the edginess and lunacy he is known for (moderated by DC, of course.)

A Garth Ennis Superman run would have to be Ennis's most 'pg', wholesome run on a character yet, unless you want Comet the Superhorse being retconned into being a child molester. He's just not the right for the character.

With Batman, however, seems more appropriate. On that title, he has more of a chance to bring the edginess and lunacy he is known for (moderated by DC, of course.)
    Fans like his take on Superman when he guest starred in Hitman and in All Star Section 8. I'm sure he would be able to reign it in, and may even want to because he likes Superman. He doesn't seem to like Batman all that much, so he probably wouldn't be a good fit for Bruce despite having the reputation of being a darker writer.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I really don't want Priest, his Deathstroke his to drawn out and convoluted for my taste. After King I really want someone who writers just fun linear stories.
    I agree, his Batman vs. Deathstroke arc was convoluted and kind of fizzled out. Alfred and Wintergreen orchestrated the whole thing...why? The setup and premise were strong though, and I liked the videos of the Robins and Deathstroke's sons talking about their fathers. I get the sense that the virulent fan reaction to the question of Damian's parentage forced him to cop-out with a more convenient/conventional ending. I also think his Deathstroke run declined in quality a little before the Defiance arc, with his daughter being possessed by the ghost of a Hmong ninja-princess and the whole Dr. Ikon plot never actually being resolved.

I agree with Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, and Tim Seeley and I'd have to read Ales Kot's and Matt Kindt's work to decide on them but I agree that it should be an indie writer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    I agree, his Batman vs. Deathstroke arc was convoluted and kind of fizzled out. Alfred and Wintergreen orchestrated the whole thing...why? The setup and premise were strong though, and I liked the videos of the Robins and Deathstroke's sons talking about their fathers. I get the sense that the virulent fan reaction to the question of Damian's parentage forced him to cop-out with a more convenient/conventional ending. I also think his Deathstroke run declined in quality a little before the Defiance arc, with his daughter being possessed by the ghost of a Hmong ninja-princess and the whole Dr. Ikon plot never actually being resolved.

I agree with Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, and Tim Seeley and I'd have to read Ales Kot's and Matt Kindt's work to decide on them but I agree that it should be an indie writer.
    Likely didn't have the authority to alter the parentage or spice it up in any interesting way especially in a Deathstroke title.

No to Priest, and hell no to Bendis.

Tomasi I wouldn't mind seeing on it. Maybe Jurgens.

How about artists?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Fans like his take on Superman when he guest starred in Hitman and in All Star Section 8. I'm sure he would be able to reign it in, and may even want to because he likes Superman. He doesn't seem to like Batman all that much, so he probably wouldn't be a good fit for Bruce despite having the reputation of being a darker writer.
    Is there any certifiable evidence that Ennis genuinely likes Superman (i.e. interviews)? It is one thing to write a character well, it is another thing to actually like and respect said character.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    I can deal with complicated. I can't deal with another Talia Doesn't Care About Damian story.
    No. it wasn't the fan. DC has spent the last few years promoting Robin Son of Batman in both comic and animation. They're not gonna go back on that. He's a marketing tool.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    How about artists?
    That's a simpler question since we're not short on artist wanting to draw Batman. There's the usual stars like Fabok, Janin, and Daniel who can work with anyone... I don't know if Capullo want to work without Snyder... and I think the running joke is Lee can't finish a deadline so he's out... Moore, but I want him on Nightwing...

Is there any certifiable evidence that Ennis genuinely likes Superman (i.e. interviews)? It is one thing to write a character well, it is another thing to actually like and respect said character.
    There are links to interviews in his Wikipedia page. And again the issue of Hitman is very Well liked. I'm less sure about Section 8, but I do recall comments That he was the only hero not made fun of.

There is more textual evidence for him liking Superman, not so much Batman.

Incredible Member

10 characters
    Last edited by HellHere; 01-06-2019 at 07:22 PM.