Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Original Golden Age Human Torch (Jim Hammond) Appreciation 2019

NOTE: This thread is a continuation of "The Original Golden Age Human Torch (Jim Hammond) Appreciation" thread, which after one month and a total of nineteen posts has been closed.
    Please feel free to check the link to it (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...)-Appreciation) to see what's already been discussed there and then we can continue any further posts in this thread.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    From the previous version,
    From what is recognized as the beginning the Marvel Comics superhero universe, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1939, ...

Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-05-2019 at 08:29 AM.

And the last post in the previous version, from ImperiusWrecked
    I totally agree, and the whole Torch legacy was so great, how Jim is the Original and he has protegees and people who carry on the flame of the torch when he is gone (they kill him off a lot) and what I really wish could have happened is we get another Torch mini with all three torches trying to figure something out. They would have to work together and we could get backstory on how each one was/is effected by the powers they wield. Johnny looked up to Jim enough to even take his code name when he became the human torch. Jim and Toro's father and son relationship needs to be explored more etc.

Also its easy to tell them apart when its done right, and how they use their powers is very different from the other, see here we have Toro top left and Johnny top right and Jim in the bottom:

Toro and Jim's style are close because they have worked together for years and its natural to imitate each other, but then you see the difference with Johnny? He has a different blast and of course his design isn't like Toro and Jim's and we can clearly see the 4 symbol. I really hope we get something for the 80th and having Jim and Toro get their old powers back is a good start.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked
    Johnny looked up to Jim enough to even take his code name when he became the human torch. Jim and Toro's father and son relationship needs to be explored more etc.

Also its easy to tell them apart when its done right, and how they use their powers is very different from the other, see here we have Toro top left and Johnny top right and Jim in the bottom:
    I'm not sure Johnny looks up to Hammond, so much as he thought he looked AWESOME / had AWESOME powers in a comic book. Though, he did end up wearing Hammond's costume a while back.

I need to go back and read The Torch mini-series. Torch and Toro's relationship should have moved on from the father and son dynamic. I mean, in real time, Toro has lived decades. He's another one that the sliding timeline has totally screwed, because he should be about 70 or 80, and have lived most of those years. He "died" post FF #1. And then there's his wife, Anne Raymond? Didn't she and Hammond have a thing going?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

By the way, in case any Golden Age Human Torch fans weren't aware, Marvel released a tpb collection of old Torch vs. Namor stories today:

Decades: Marvel in The '40s - The Human Torch Vs. The Sub-Mariner (Trade Paperback)
    "Celebrate 80 years of Marvel Comics, decade by decade - beginning with the first two superstars of the Flying Forties! The original Human Torch and Namor the Sub-Mariner get along as well as fire and water, and several of Timely's greatest comics feature the twin titans clashing in fantastic feature-length fisticuffs! A rivalry for the ages is born when Namor, mistreated by the surface world, attacks New York - and the Torch stands in his way! As World War II rages, Namor decides to create peace by flooding the planet! Can the Torch and his young sidekick, Toro, bring Namor back to his senses? They'd better - because the Nazis are on the attack, and the Golden Age archrivals must put aside their differences aside and unite against a common foe! Collecting material from MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS #7-10 and HUMAN TORCH COMICS #5B, #8 and #10."
    Rated T+
    In Shops: Jan 16, 2019
    SRP: $24.99
    * https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/OCT181012
    * https://www.marvel.com/comics/collec...rade_paperback

from Marvel Mystery Handbook: 70th Anniversary Special (2009)

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

It looks like Carl Burgos and Jim Hammond are going to also get a big Golden Age omnibus with Original Human Torch stories only.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    On the heels of the Bill Everett Sub-Mariner omni due out in September, more great news for Golden Age fans!

Marvel proudly presents TIMELY'S GREATEST, a series of once-in-a-lifetime Omnibi presenting the greatest stories from the era when Marvel was known as Timely Comics. Marvel's first super hero, the burning-hot hit known as the Human Torch, seared his way into readers' minds in 1939, setting the path for all Marvel icons to come. Carl Burgos' fiery hero wasn't a typical do-gooder; he was a creation of cutting-edge science in a world that was terrifi ed by his burning visage. In this first-time-ever collection of every Human Torch tale from the character's debut through Carl Burgos' April 1942 induction into the war eff ort, you'll experience the birth of Marvel Comics. Also featuring Burgos' rare post-war and 1950s Torch stories and covers.

COLLECTING: MARVEL COMICS 1; MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 2-34, 83; HUMAN TORCH 2-7, 28; ALL-WINNERS COMICS 1-4; DARING MYSTERY COMICS 7; CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS 76; YOUNG MEN 24-28
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ultimate Member

It always frustrates me when various machine-person-centric storylines or groups form, like Avengers AI, and people like the Vision, Victor la Mancha, Machine Man, Jocasta, etc. may or may not get remembered, but Jim Hammond never seems to be among them.

He's a great character, but it seems like he gets forgotten way too easily. Much is made of Cap and Namor's friendship that goes back to WW2, but, again, it seems like Jim gets much less focus from Cap (or, more specifically, from Caps writers).

I like how Remender portrayed Hammond in Secret Avengers. Being the first of his kind other A.I.'s treated him with respect.

He even exhibited the ability to override their programming (make that one of his powers).

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Now that the Fox/Disney merger is essentially complete, I wonder does this clear the way for the Original Torch to be seen in the movies, or even a Disney Plus TV show. We know that we saw a glimpse of a non-active "synthetic man" (or whatever it was) at the WWII-era world's fair in Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Now that the Fox/Disney merger is essentially complete, I wonder does this clear the way for the Original Torch to be seen in the movies, or even a Disney Plus TV show. We know that we saw a glimpse of a non-active "synthetic man" (or whatever it was) at the WWII-era world's fair in Captain America.
    It may "clear the way", but the movies may want to avoid having a "duplicate" character called The Human Torch if they feel it would be too confusing for non-comic book readers (who probably make up a healthy chunk of the potential movie going audience).

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It may "clear the way", but the movies may want to avoid having a "duplicate" character called The Human Torch if they feel it would be too confusing for non-comic book readers (who probably make up a healthy chunk of the potential movie going audience).
    If they rebooted the F4 for television, they could have an episode or two where the OT pops in and interacts with the team, especially Johnny.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It looks like Carl Burgos and Jim Hammond are going to also get a big Golden Age omnibus with Original Human Torch stories only.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    On the heels of the Bill Everett Sub-Mariner omni due out in September, more great news for Golden Age fans!

Marvel proudly presents TIMELY'S GREATEST, a series of once-in-a-lifetime Omnibi presenting the greatest stories from the era when Marvel was known as Timely Comics. Marvel's first super hero, the burning-hot hit known as the Human Torch, seared his way into readers' minds in 1939, setting the path for all Marvel icons to come. Carl Burgos' fiery hero wasn't a typical do-gooder; he was a creation of cutting-edge science in a world that was terrifi ed by his burning visage. In this first-time-ever collection of every Human Torch tale from the character's debut through Carl Burgos' April 1942 induction into the war eff ort, you'll experience the birth of Marvel Comics. Also featuring Burgos' rare post-war and 1950s Torch stories and covers.

COLLECTING: MARVEL COMICS 1; MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 2-34, 83; HUMAN TORCH 2-7, 28; ALL-WINNERS COMICS 1-4; DARING MYSTERY COMICS 7; CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS 76; YOUNG MEN 24-28
    The entries on Previewsworld for this have a date of "In Shops: Nov 27, 2019", but it's a hardcover with a SPR of $150.00.
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUN191030

There's also a variant cover version:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUN191031

And the listing through amazon.com has a date through them as "December 10, 2019".

Human Torch (Golden Age) from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition #33 (1993):

Hammond gets the ball rolling in Marvel Comics #1000. All things considered, it's just so nice that he's still remembered. Hopefully, this will lead to a return to active duty and the restoration of his flame powers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hammond gets the ball rolling in Marvel Comics #1000. All things considered, it's just so nice that he's still remembered. Hopefully, this will lead to a return to active duty and the restoration of his flame powers.
    I presume your not reading Chip Zdarsky's INVADERS then.... (you ought to be IMHO)