Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    looking back, Abnett's run has messed up things and characters.
    Abnett's run brought back Dolphin in her best incarnation yet. That alone makes up for any downsides.

BANNED

Honestly didn't mind how Aquaman got the tattoos. KSD didn't retcon anything to include them. I'm just hoping the tats do something and aren't just for visual design. Id like to see how the Gift of The Old Gods compare to The Poseidon Blessing Aquaman got awhile back.

Definitely wanting to see more of Aquaman's supporting characters play a role in the Aquaman book. I don't think Aquaman and Mera have to constantly be sidebyside Johns proved that. But you can't have her not having any significant amount of panel time. Lets see how her rule in Atlantis is going. Some of the challenges she's facing etc. Honestly I feel like the Aquaman book should be treated more as a team book and less as a solo story. Similar to GL Corps, Inhumans, X-Men. Just with your lead character being Arthur. Like give 25% of the book to some of his rotating cast every once in awhile and tell a story with them. Lets see Garth and Tula go on a mission. Or Lagoon Boy, Kaldur and Dolphin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Abnett's run brought back Dolphin in her best incarnation yet. That alone makes up for any downsides.
    Abnett's run makes no sense though. I don't get how Bunn's run was as hated as it was. When by the time it was ending it was fixing everything readers thought it was changing. Whereas by the end of Abnett's it left it contradicting the mythos

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Ugh those damn tattoos.
    They don't even fit a non-Hawaiian Aquaman. They're just there because Momoa had them.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Honestly didn't mind how Aquaman got the tattoos. KSD didn't retcon anything to include them. I'm just hoping the tats do something and aren't just for visual design. Id like to see how the Gift of The Old Gods compare to The Poseidon Blessing Aquaman got awhile back.

Definitely wanting to see more of Aquaman's supporting characters play a role in the Aquaman book. I don't think Aquaman and Mera have to constantly be sidebyside Johns proved that. But you can't have her not having any significant amount of panel time. Lets see how her rule in Atlantis is going. Some of the challenges she's facing etc. Honestly I feel like the Aquaman book should be treated more as a team book and less as a solo story. Similar to GL Corps, Inhumans, X-Men. Just with your lead character being Arthur. Like give 25% of the book to some of his rotating cast every once in awhile and tell a story with them. Lets see Garth and Tula go on a mission. Or Lagoon Boy, Kaldur and Dolphin.
    Exactly my view, Aquaman's best is when he acts in a team with the rest. Having sidelined Mera this way has made the book lose a very important element in it. The strongest point in Aquaman, has always been the interaction between Arthur and Mera. As you say there is no need to have her in constant action, but ignored this way, doesn't do the book any good. Only solo Arthur in action all the time makes it boring.
    The rest of the cast totally ignored, they are needed even to make readers find a familiar environment.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    He might have given Dolphin his best incarnation, but messed the rest, this ultimately hurts Dolphin herself. You can't just justify this because of one particular character. all this because he had do the Mera mini series he wanted, he altered the rest.
    Arthur needs to be the King, its his birthright and mission, the very basis of the whole story. He altered Mera's character, he altered and twisted Atanteans in accepting a Xebellian as queen, a ridiculous thing in view of all the past history. Now its all a mess, not easy to solve. With this of kind of direction currently, in which the supporting cast is ignored, dolphin as well might find it hard to appear.

I loved Abnett’s run. The Rath storyline stretched on for longer than I would have liked but otherwise I quite enjoyed it. His Arthur and Mera were quite enjoyable imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I loved Abnett’s run. The Rath storyline stretched on for longer than I would have liked but otherwise I quite enjoyed it. His Arthur and Mera were quite enjoyable imo.
    ITS from Rath arc he lost the plot and messed up, before it was a good run.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I enjoyed the hell out of the first big chunk of Abnett's Aquaman. The pulpy sci-fi stuff. Secret agencies, underwater bases, Aquamarines, Black Manta, Arthur and Mera being co-leads.

It was about mid-way through the Rath stuff that it went off the rails. Tried to veer too far into the fantasy world with generic concepts of royal courts and all that. Lost the pulpy edge that had driven the Aquaman title since Johns reworked it all brilliantly in the New 52. The Rath storyline ran too long (though it reads better collected) and started to feel as if it was falling apart a bit narratively. The Drowned Earth stuff was bad, but more editorial/JL than anything to do with Abnett.

I like sci-fi Atlantis and pulp action hero Aquaman. I dont mind a little fantasy genre stuff sprinkled in there, but you cant go full tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I enjoyed the hell out of the first big chunk of Abnett's Aquaman. The pulpy sci-fi stuff. Secret agencies, underwater bases, Aquamarines, Black Manta, Arthur and Mera being co-leads.

It was about mid-way through the Rath stuff that it went off the rails. Tried to veer too far into the fantasy world with generic concepts of royal courts and all that. Lost the pulpy edge that had driven the Aquaman title since Johns reworked it all brilliantly in the New 52. The Rath storyline ran too long (though it reads better collected) and started to feel as if it was falling apart a bit narratively. The Drowned Earth stuff was bad, but more editorial/JL than anything to do with Abnett.

I like sci-fi Atlantis and pulp action hero Aquaman. I dont mind a little fantasy genre stuff sprinkled in there, but you cant go full tilt.
    Good points. The Rath storyline could have been shortened by a few issues.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

he went off rails, he lost the plot with making Mera queen, going against the history of her character and to the fact that she's xebellian cant rule Atlantis and make it acceptable thing. They had always despised her before, and she returned the feeling, out of the blues she changes and they too. Come on

Did Atlanna's trident have special abilities in the DCEU? Aquaman did use it to hold back the water in the tunnel fight against Steppenwolf right?

Also, did Orm's trident have any special abilities? I noticed that while he fought Aquaman there was a storm raging around them but when his trident was broken the storm dissipated.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Did Atlanna's trident have special abilities in the DCEU? Aquaman did use it to hold back the water in the tunnel fight against Steppenwolf right?

Also, did Orm's trident have any special abilities? I noticed that while he fought Aquaman there was a storm raging around them but when his trident was broken the storm dissipated.
    would be interesting to know

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they had special properties since they were royal trident's, and Orm said it was his dad's (and undefeated), but I don't think they ever outright said they were as special like Atlan's.

It was interesting to see that Nereus' trident was able to fire energy blasts. I was expecting Orm's to do the same in the movie.