Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    My problem though is she doesnt have much depth in the film she's a guide/mentor type character with little to go on to why she wants to do what she wants or why she feels so strongly about it

I agreee about this in One too

https://youtu.be/roZsvPSbW-Y

In the comics he's a sympathetic villaon. Whereas in the movie he's a straight up villain
    by the time Arthur and Orm fight the first time, she's clearly fallen for him and a woman in love acts according to her heart. The look she gives Arthur when Orm tells him that she is his betrothed speaks louder than words.

My problem though is she doesnt have much depth in the film she's a guide/mentor type character with little to go on to why she wants to do what she wants or why she feels so strongly about it

I agreee about this in One too

https://youtu.be/roZsvPSbW-Y

In the comics he's a sympathetic villaon. Whereas in the movie he's a straight up villain
    I agree about Mera as well. The romance between Aquaman and her didn't seem natural enough for me and instead felt a little rushed/forced.

I didn't watch the video above, but I don't know if I would consider Black Manta a sympathetic villain in the comics. At least not anymore. Post Flashpoint Black Manta has come off as being cruel and hateful. While Aquaman did kill his father, I feel like Manta's hate for him goes beyond wanting to simply avenge his father's death. The Aquaman movie didn't give Black Manta enough depth either. He came off as an amped-up but kinda generic/lackluster obstacle rather than a truly serious threat/foe.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I agree about Mera as well. The romance between Aquaman and her didn't seem natural enough for me and instead felt a little rushed/forced.

I didn't watch the video above, but I don't know if I would consider Black Manta a sympathetic villain in the comics. At least not anymore. Post Flashpoint Black Manta has come off as being cruel and hateful. While Aquaman did kill his father, I feel like Manta's hate for him goes beyond wanting to simply avenge his father's death. The Aquaman movie didn't give Black Manta enough depth either. He came off as an amped-up but kinda generic/lackluster obstacle rather than a truly serious threat/foe.
    Wan said the movie wasn't about romance between Arthur and Mera, but between his parents. However it was to be hinted, except a kiss and a rose eating scene, there was no romance.
    black manta's father was a murderer, he asked for it, his hatred is not justified, honestly with aquaman's powers it would take seconds to take him out, like when in throne of atlantis he had him eaten by a shark.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 03-17-2019 at 08:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    by the time Arthur and Orm fight the first time, she's clearly fallen for him and a woman in love acts according to her heart. The look she gives Arthur when Orm tells him that she is his betrothed speaks louder than words.
    Yeah I saw that to and was completely confused. It just made her look like she easily fell inlove for some reason. The movie didn't give us any real reason to why we should care for them to be together

When I was talking about sympathetic villain I was talking in reference to Orm. The video talks about how the movie took away are ability to relate to the charactrr becsuse of him killing his own people to start a war with the surface. I didnt mind Black Manta in the film other then the fact instead of making him a villain who attacks Aquaman emotionally and by plotting he became an actual physical threat.

black manta's father was a murderer, he asked for it, his hatred is not justified, honestly with aquaman's powers it would take seconds to take him out, like when in throne of atlantis he had him eaten by a shark.
    I always felt that Black Manta fighting Aquaman in melee combat seemed silly since Aquaman has so much more power. I think comic Black Manta needs his suit upgraded to some heavier armor just like his YJ counterparts:

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Wonder Woman had like 3 antagonist as well and switched the idea of who the main villain is.
    The focus on them was minimum. Wonder Woman was all about Diana with a fleshed out love interest.

BANNED

I always felt that Black Manta fighting Aquaman in melee combat seemed silly since Aquaman has so much more power. I think comic Black Manta needs his suit upgraded to some heavier armor just like his YJ counterparts:

I feel like even then he'd still need more. YJ for the most part had him operate with human tech as far as I know which I dont think makes sense in using to allow him to fight for a prolonged amount of time against Aquaman. The movie version used atlantean tech which explained the reason why he was able to go toe to toe with Aquaman given atlantean tech was established to harm Aquaman. Which was another complaint I had honestly Aquaman should be so far above the other Atlanteans in stats but he didn't come off to far off the elites if at all.

The only time Manta in comics is a physical threat to Aquaman tends to be when he's holding back or that time Manta made a deal with Neron. For the most part I think Manta is suited better to targeting people and things Aquaman cares about and using his tech to avoid confrontations with Aquaman rather then fight on par with him. Optic blast could be used to distance Aquaman from him. Which helps having a jetpack on top of it. Even though comic Aquaman can leap to other cities with a jump.

Movie Manta and Aquaman work though given how more grounded Aquaman is and the explanation behind Manta's tech. Whereas in the comics a fifht between the two comes off as plot most of the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    The focus on them was minimum. Wonder Woman was all about Diana with a fleshed out love interest.
    id agree in saying that's what made Wonder Woman different. It was more about Steve introducing her to man's world and getting her to believing in humanity.

Whereas in Aquaman it was two characters with different ideals clashing it out

Yeah I saw that to and was completely confused. It just made her look like she easily fell inlove for some reason. The movie didn't give us any real reason to why we should care for them to be together

When I was talking about sympathetic villain I was talking in reference to Orm. The video talks about how the movie took away are ability to relate to the charactrr becsuse of him killing his own people to start a war with the surface. I didnt mind Black Manta in the film other then the fact instead of making him a villain who attacks Aquaman emotionally and by plotting he became an actual physical threat.
    Falling in love needs no special reason, it just happens

id agree in saying that's what made Wonder Woman different. It was more about Steve introducing her to man's world and getting her to believing in humanity.

Whereas in Aquaman it was two characters with different ideals clashing it out
    opposites attract, they sounded like a couple that bickers all the time, sometimes people bicker to hide that they have fallen for each other.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 03-18-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The latest issue was pretty damn average.
    I realise it was set-up for the new big bad, but this latest storyline isn't really working for me.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Reading comments from aquafans on social media whoever takes over from ksd will have a hell of a job in fixing the damage. the unabated destruction of aquaman it is being called by some.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Reading comments from aquafans on social media whoever takes over from ksd will have a hell of a job in fixing the damage. the unabated destruction of aquaman it is being called by some.
    A little early for that yet, but this really does feel like a major misstep. With the movie SO popular, a casual reader won't know what the hell is going on at the moment.
    No Atlantis. No Mera. No Ocean Master, Black Manta or political goings on - hell, Arthur isn't even being called Arthur by any of the other characters!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    A little early for that yet, but this really does feel like a major misstep. With the movie SO popular, a casual reader won't know what the hell is going on at the moment.
    No Atlantis. No Mera. No Ocean Master, Black Manta or political goings on - hell, Arthur isn't even being called Arthur by any of the other characters!
    some Fans are very angry!! others are becoming angry, while the rest will be soon.
    the path being taken is so obvious, easy to see where it will take you.
    KSD does not believe in the traditional characters that have made up the Aquaman storylines. Therefore they must be written off or forgotten.
    Not just Atlantis or Mera, but neither Tula or Garth since they connect him to Atlantis, same for Orm. Whats frustrating is their arrogance and lack of consideration they have for fans. KSD believes if you don't like my politics don't read my comics. As you mention the movie opened to new readers, they only gave him tatoos and destroyed the rest.

I feel like even then he'd still need more. YJ for the most part had him operate with human tech as far as I know which I dont think makes sense in using to allow him to fight for a prolonged amount of time against Aquaman. The movie version used atlantean tech which explained the reason why he was able to go toe to toe with Aquaman given atlantean tech was established to harm Aquaman. Which was another complaint I had honestly Aquaman should be so far above the other Atlanteans in stats but he didn't come off to far off the elites if at all.

The only time Manta in comics is a physical threat to Aquaman tends to be when he's holding back or that time Manta made a deal with Neron. For the most part I think Manta is suited better to targeting people and things Aquaman cares about and using his tech to avoid confrontations with Aquaman rather then fight on par with him. Optic blast could be used to distance Aquaman from him. Which helps having a jetpack on top of it. Even though comic Aquaman can leap to other cities with a jump.

Movie Manta and Aquaman work though given how more grounded Aquaman is and the explanation behind Manta's tech. Whereas in the comics a fifht between the two comes off as plot most of the time.
    Human technology has harmed non human beings in the DCU plenty of times.

BANNED

Falling in love needs no special reason, it just happens

opposites attract, they sounded like a couple that bickers all the time, sometimes people bicker to hide that they have fallen for each other.
    When I was talking about opposing ideals I was in reference to Orm and Aquaman they we're the big focuses of the Aquaman movie whereas in Wonder Woman the big focuses were on Diana and Steve(Man's world)

When your telling a fictional story "no special reason" is pretty lackluster. No One goes to watch a film because something happens all the time in day to day life. Regardless my opinion is they dropped the ball on Aquaman and Mera's relationship