Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I'm kinda into the aesthetic of all of that. The layout is really compelling.

If anyone would be kind enough to spoil this issue for me? Mainly the Mera parts?

Sent you a PM Flash Gordan.

Really really loved today's issue. I truly think KSD is coming into her stride with these characters and gaining a better understanding of what makes them tick. And what a twist!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

So is Aquaman just ignoring Drowned Earth?

Issue was really good though.

I liked the issue overall as well and I think KSD has improved. I also really like the concept of Mother Shark and I hope we get to see her again.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

This was a rather abrupt change from DeConnick's earlier issues. They used to be poetic, introspective, and mythic, but this one used much more dialogue, drama, and the personal relation between Mera and Arthur. The common stylistic element that DeConnick carries forward is the way that she hints and slowly reveals what has happened between the end of the previous run and the beginning of this run. And while the shift wasn't necessarily bad, it felt a bit jarring, though I guess the reason for that might be in one of the revealed twists. There was also a running commentary from Mother Shark, that I think was a little too on-the-nose; on the other hand the story would need at least twice as many pages if it weren't there. But spoilers.

spoilers:
    I can understand Arthur having a hugely conflicted reaction to Mera's announcement that they are expecting a child, especially given how DeConnick brought up him being abandoned by his mother as a central piece of what she wanted to explore. But I'm not sure the comic managed to convey that in a good enough way.

But the main issue is that Mera kills Arthur in a mad outburst of her powers. First, it ties right into the idea of women as hysteric, unstable, and unable to control their emotions—especially when pregnant (TVTropes)—and that that makes them dangerous. Second, while I have much more confidence in DeConnick's ability to handle tricky subjects with nuance and grace than Tom King's, this one still comes right after the trainwreck that was Heroes in Crisis, where Wally West had exactly the same type of deadly outburst due to them "going crazy". It leaves a big bad taste.

At least I'm not alone in that reaction, Corrina over at Geekdad voice much the same thoughts.

I'm also more than a bit unsure about the direction that DeConnick has taken with the aftermath of Drowned Earth. It feels like complexity for complexity's sake. Having a story where Mera prepares to deal with their child growing up without their father, just as Arthur was abandoned by his mother, would be a strong enough theme, and wouldn't leave a huge plot thread hanging. It would also give a whole lot more weight to her role as queen of Atlantis.
    end of spoilers
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

so was the mother shark what the Leviathan of the movie was based on/changed into?

I doubt there was any real relation between Mother Shark and Leviathan in the movie, if anything the latter might have inspired the former. But there is no shortage of monster guardians in quests, nor of stories about giant sea monsters.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so was the mother shark what the Leviathan of the movie was based on/changed into?
    I think that the Leviathan was inspired by Topo and the other monster which was used in the creation of the Chymera (I think it was its name) back in New 52.

Edit, also concerning the future newcomer in the Aquafmily, I would like it a lot if the name is Eldoris.
    Last edited by Korath; 06-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I think that the Leviathan was inspired by Topo and the other monster which was used in the creation of the Chymera (I think it was its name) back in New 52.

Edit, also concerning the future newcomer in the Aquafmily, I would like it a lot if the name is Eldoris.
    Yes! Eldoris! That would be so rad.

I'd actually like to see her time travel backwards from her weird alternate future again. Maybe things are fixed there, but she's vague on what it looks like now and just wants to have some adventures with her folks in their heyday.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So is Aquaman just ignoring Drowned Earth?
    I certainly hope so...

This issue was an improvement, for sure. I'd be ok with Bogdanovic sticking around as a regular artist; he's like a Greg Capullo-lite.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I certainly hope so...

This issue was an improvement, for sure. I'd be ok with Bogdanovic sticking around as a regular artist; he's like a Greg Capullo-lite.
    I didn't realize Bogdanovic was coming onto this. I've been sleeping on KSD's Aquaman, the first issue didn't really hook me. But I might jump back on. Aquaman is my favorite DC dude so I certainly want to be invested.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I certainly hope so...

I didn't read it but was it that bad? All I know is the end of the story.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 06-21-2019 at 03:09 AM.