Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It looks a bit off and it would not really let him pass on land as a child. I prefer the fins being a costume element, perhaps giving him better control when he swims.
    Agreed. I don't like the fins on his back legs and would prefer they were only an aspect of his costume/pants/leggings.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Another interview with Kelly Sue DeConnick:https://www.cbr.com/interview-kelly-...uaman-stories/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    To me all this could be fine, but it dragged on too much next month will be the eight one, besides to do that she sidelined other important aspects and characters, has many contradictions and unneeded subplots(suitors).
    This him being dead or alive is nothing new, He must have the record of being the hero who died most.
    The dragging on too long is a common failing with current superhero arcs, so I see little reason to single out DeConnicks's run here. And while she has put aside elements that you judge important for now, it's not like she has unneeded subplots going on—two pages out of one hundred do not a subplot make. It's the flip side of bringing a razor focus on Aquaman as a person.

Now they came up with this ridiculous cliffhanger and no sort of reason can justify it, what? she loved so much that she killed him. I hope its just a ruse to attract interest.

I disagree with you that his role as champion of the oceans has been reaffirmed, he's dead in the afterlife not in an ocean, nobody among the living knows what he has accomplished.
    Maybe not affirmed to the "public" of the DC universe, but for us the readers, and for the mythic beings of the ocean, most definitely. And the "ridiculous cliffhanger" is very much a spirit quest thing. It's not similar to the Wally West situation at all, because we know what we see ain't necessarily so.

I agree that the narrative was at a dead end, Abnett left a mess he created, but she has made no attempt to fix it. Namely Mera a xebellian being queen of atlantis is ridiculous, the reason that while Arthur was unacceptable as king, too progressive, they make a more progressive choice by choosing a xebellian among everything else? Yesterday Ksd made another mistake, she wrote that Arthur relinquished the burdens of the throne peacefully.. yeah and dumped it on the shoulders of the person he loves most. A hero doesn't act in that way!!!!!
    Abdication was done as a flashback to his prior runs, and he has abdicated or left the throne, lots of times. DeConnick simply acknowledges the history of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Another interview with Kelly Sue DeConnick:https://www.cbr.com/interview-kelly-...uaman-stories/
    Good read! I had drafted my line about DeConnick bringing a razor focus on Aquaman when I had already read it, and she really digs into those elements in the interview.

But then there was this other moment in the Johns run that I was really struck by, which was that his mother is this Atlantean princess, and his father is a human lighthouse keeper. And mom has to leave him to return to her duties. I just thought, "Abandonment. That's a great core wound." His dad takes him to the shore in the morning to look for mom. That's really like child abuse! But a mother's abandonment was really something I could play with. And I could tie it to his power set, because he can basically call every creature back to him except his mom. That's nice. There's something there, and going from there the idea of good mothers and bad mothers grew out of that notion.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The dragging on too long is a common failing with current superhero arcs, so I see little reason to single out DeConnicks's run here. And while she has put aside elements that you judge important for now, it's not like she has unneeded subplots going on—two pages out of one hundred do not a subplot make. It's the flip side of bringing a razor focus on Aquaman as a person.

Maybe not affirmed to the "public" of the DC universe, but for us the readers, and for the mythic beings of the ocean, most definitely. And the "ridiculous cliffhanger" is very much a spirit quest thing. It's not similar to the Wally West situation at all, because we know what we see ain't necessarily so.

Abdication was done as a flashback to his prior runs, and he has abdicated or left the throne, lots of times. DeConnick simply acknowledges the history of the character.

Good read! I had drafted my line about DeConnick bringing a razor focus on Aquaman when I had already read it, and she really digs into those elements in the interview.
    Honestly I didnt like the interview in some parts of it especially claiming that Tom Curry was somehow abusive of his son?
    Last edited by ChrisG; 05-16-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Yeah, these interviews are getting me waaaay more excited for what's coming than her earlier ones. It could be she has a better sense of Arthur's character now or maybe cause she got the "bring him back to land and throw some movie mojo in there" arc out of the way but I love how she talks about him. I didn't even dislike the first arc but I'm pumped.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah that interview is not great for Aquaman and Mera fans. Looks like she's going for the long game with those two, but we'll see what this all entails. I'm a bit more uneasy about that going forward, but I'm still giving KSD a chance with those two. I'm also a touch worried that she didn't know that the plot with his mother was already resolved. Or that the editor didn't. It wasn't even five years ago.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-16-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Yeah that interview is not great for Aquaman and Mera fans. Looks like she's going for the long game with those two, but we'll see what this all entails. I'm a bit more uneasy about that going forward, but I'm still giving KSD a chance with those two. I'm also a touch worried that she didn't know that the plot with his mother was already resolved. Or that the editor didn't. It wasn't even five years ago.
    she said some things that left me very concerned, Tom Curry being abusive to his son? that ones home is determined by a dog not by who you are? as for mera and aquaman its was obvious with her being queen they cannot be together, it stands between them, she speaks of mistakes and consequences that makes me suspect who killed him was her. Probably also they are going to have also disagreements about Luthor's offer. She seems to have read only John's arc, as she had no idea about Atlanna and neither Aqualad

Also, does anyone else miss the Silver Age title graphic?
    Attachment 81502
    I know it's absolute cheese, but I love it so much.
    I recently just read that issue. The interior story is anything but cheese, it's one of the best Aquaman stories and the first appearance of Scavenger. It also had some crazy insane art of Aquaman summoning whales, something about the silver age Aquaman doing that just seems so much cooler than the current Aquaman doing it.

Aquaman_v1_37_10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I recently just read that issue. The interior story is anything but cheese, it's one of the best Aquaman stories and the first appearance of Scavenger. It also had some crazy insane art of Aquaman summoning whales, something about the silver age Aquaman doing that just seems so much cooler than the current Aquaman doing it.

Aquaman_v1_37_10.jpg
    Oh for sure, the actual content of the Silver Age run had a surprising amount of actual material going on.

But the cheese I referred to was strictly the title font. They don't like rounded edges like that anymore, but personally it's my favorite Aquaman logo.

she said some things that left me very concerned, Tom Curry being abusive to his son? that ones home is determined by a dog not by who you are? as for mera and aquaman its was obvious with her being queen they cannot be together, it stands between them, she speaks of mistakes and consequences that makes me suspect who killed him was her. Probably also they are going to have also disagreements about Luthor's offer. She seems to have read only John's arc, as she had no idea about Atlanna and neither Aqualad
    The abuse comment seems more like Tom being unable to move on and bringing Arthur along on his hopeless pursuit is, in itself, abusive because he's not helping his son move on from trauma. In a sense, yes, that's abusive because his role as a father should supercede that as a abandoned lover, and yet he does not allow that wound to close for him or his son every day they visit the dock and look for her. The dog comment also is more along the lines of "it's where he chose to set up his family, ergo his truest home" and that was true for Arthur and Mera when they had a choice. She's not inherently wrong in coming to those conclusions, though the former comment seems a bit black-and-white.

I agree with you, however, that she seemed to ignore Parker's run and that's a real shame because I adored it. Arthur's reuniting with Atlanna was wonderful.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Jeff Parker's run was wonderful, much like all his work. Atlanna's return in that was powerful.

God I wish we were reading a new run by him on AQUAMAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Jeff Parker's run was wonderful, much like all his work. Atlanna's return in that was powerful.

God I wish we were reading a new run by him on AQUAMAN.
    I wouldn't be against that, certainly! Johns/Reis had such a good run on Aquaman and Parker/Pelletier rose to the impossible task of matching them. I'm a fan of Abnett too. Frankly, the only run I didn't enjoy since the New 52 was Bunn's. KSD hasn't been bad thus far, but I am tentatively worried going forward having read her interviews. We'll see how it pans out.

I truly hope KSD or her editor actually /has/ read the Parker run and knows of Atlanna's fate because I loved that take on her and her look was amazing.

Aquaman_Vol_7_39.jpg

Sorry, but Atlanna is top marks for equal parts heroic, imposing and regal. Damn.

I wouldn't be against that, certainly! Johns/Reis had such a good run on Aquaman and Parker/Pelletier rose to the impossible task of matching them. I'm a fan of Abnett too. Frankly, the only run I didn't enjoy since the New 52 was Bunn's. KSD hasn't been bad thus far, but I am tentatively worried going forward having read her interviews. We'll see how it pans out.

I truly hope KSD or her editor actually /has/ read the Parker run and knows of Atlanna's fate because I loved that take on her and her look was amazing.

Aquaman_Vol_7_39.jpg

Sorry, but Atlanna is top marks for equal parts heroic, imposing and regal. Damn.
    Especially since the movie basically took from the Parker run by establishing her as alive .

BANNED