Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Glad I gave KSD benefit of the doubt, the book has been great! Her recent interview on Word Balloon was very interesting. She admits she wants them married and can't have it (yet they gave her the pregnancy which she notes is odd) and that editorial wanted a love triangle and Arthur more on land.

So it seems like a lot of what fans want, she does too, and is going to work on letting editorial allow her to.

Enjoying the run so far. Hoping the art stays this amazing as well.
    Ooh can you post a link to the interview please.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Ooh can you post a link to the interview please.
    http://wordballoon.blogspot.com/2019...talks.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Glad I gave KSD benefit of the doubt, the book has been great! Her recent interview on Word Balloon was very interesting. She admits she wants them married and can't have it (yet they gave her the pregnancy which she notes is odd) and that editorial wanted a love triangle and Arthur more on land.

So it seems like a lot of what fans want, she does too, and is going to work on letting editorial allow her to.

Enjoying the run so far. Hoping the art stays this amazing as well.
    I want marriage (and Arthur Jr.), too. Don't mind more Arthur on land in theory, but execution matters (town seems nice, but if it turns out evil/corrupted/etc. I'll be a bit perturbed). Don't want him constantly separate from Mera. Absolutely hate love triangles.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-18-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I want marriage (and Arthur Jr.), too. Don't mind more Arthur on land (town seems nice, but if it turns out evil/corrupted/etc. I'll be a bit perturbed), but absolutely hate love triangles.
    In the interview, she straight up states she finds love triangles very tiresome too (and she says editors LOVE love triangles). So I don't think you really have to worry about that.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Absolutely hate love triangles.
    The current sub-plot is sort of a love triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In the interview, she straight up states she finds love triangles very tiresome too (and she says editors LOVE love triangles). So I don't think you really have to worry about that.
    I didn't listen, and I admit it. I like reading interviews (and news), rather than listening/watching.

Maybe Vulko's the other leg of a non-existent love triangle.

DC editorial being against marriage and pro love triangles is...honestly not that surprising.

I mean, they mandated Bunn had to find a way to split Arthur and Mera up for his run.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I didn't listen, and I admit it. I like reading interviews (and news), rather than listening/watching.

Mera seems like she has a plan that's why she said Vulko.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC editorial being against marriage and pro love triangles is...honestly not that surprising.

I mean, they mandated Bunn had to find a way to split Arthur and Mera up for his run.
    It’s pretty much a staple of the Big 2.

Fantastic. Thank you! It's so weird how DC keeps pushing a love triangle for Arthur and Mera. It's NEVER gone over well with the fans. And I doubt anyone thinks anyone else they date will actually last.
    Mera picking Vulko definitely seems more like a tactical move rather than actually creating a real triangle. I'm sure there will be some tension but Vulko is one of the most knowledgeable Atlanteans. It's a good idea.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

KSD basically said triangles are played out and doesn't want it either. A lot of what I've read most people want/love about Aquaman is what she envisions for him too, but working within editorial, she's going to use her challenges to develop him and Mera as best she can so that by the time they're together again (and they inevitably will be), they're that much stronger.

She specifically mentioned she wants it to feel like the water heats up when they're with one another; they love each other pretty strongly. I recommend the interview. It's a good listen.

To summarize the Aquaman portion of the interview:
    -Bendis was the one who suggested the job to her when he was in the hospital and she & Matt Fraction visited him
    -She wanted to get a handle on Arthur’s voice and she felt like she needed to sideline Mera for a bit because Mera has such a strong voice it threatened to overpower Arthur’s for her
    -The Gods are all based on real world mythologies, she wanted to explore Panthenons beyond Greek and Norse
    -She wants to make Amnesty Bay feel as real and as vibrant as Gotham and Metropolis, since that to Arthur is more his “home” than Atlantis given how the City has constantly rejected him (I look forward to Amnesty Bay getting more love)
    -She says it’s refreshing to go from the Marvel Universe’s “Daddy issues” to Arthur’s hang-ups about his relationship with his mom
    -She’s not a fan of love triangles but editorial at DC & Marvel are huge fans of them, and want her to include them in every book
    -She got approval for a baby but editorial doesn’t want them married and she’s pushing for them to get married (its bizarre to me that DC is ok with babies out of wedlock but not marriages, I guess that’s a result of Damian?)
    -She doesn’t have any plans to kill the baby, as a mother she really has no desire to go there, but she is aware of the history in regards to past Aquababies
    -She thinks there is plenty of opportunity for drama with married couples
    -She’s wanted to bring Kaldur and Arthur together for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To summarize the Aquaman portion of the interview:
    -Bendis was the one who suggested the job to her when he was in the hospital and she & Matt Fraction visited him
    -She wanted to get a handle on Arthur’s voice and she felt like she needed to sideline Mera for a bit because Mera has such a strong voice it threatened to overpower Arthur’s for her
    -The Gods are all based on real world mythologies, she wanted to explore Panthenons beyond Greek and Norse
    -She wants to make Amnesty Bay feel as real and as vibrant as Gotham and Metropolis, since that to Arthur is more his “home” than Atlantis given how the City has constantly rejected him (I look forward to Amnesty Bay getting more love)
    -She says it’s refreshing to go from the Marvel Universe’s “Daddy issues” to Arthur’s hang-ups about his relationship with his mom
    -She’s not a fan of love triangles but editorial at DC & Marvel are huge fans of them, and want her to include them in every book
    -She got approval for a baby but editorial doesn’t want them married and she’s pushing for them to get married (its bizarre to me that DC is ok with babies out of wedlock but not marriages, I guess that’s a result of Damian?)
    -She doesn’t have any plans to kill the baby, as a mother she really has no desire to go there, but she is aware of the history in regards to past Aquababies
    -She thinks there is plenty of opportunity for drama with married couples
    -She’s wanted to bring Kaldur and Arthur together for a while
    I was always kind of curious how the two of them got in with DC. I knew Bendis had something to do with it, just wasn't aware of the exact circumstances.

Not often a writer feels that the female lead has a stronger voice then the titular hero, but it's an interesting perspective.

It's kind of interesting to think that writers spend so much time on developing Atlantis that Amnesty Bay usually just comes off like Aquaman's rest area. But as nice as it will be to see it developed, I think a majority will always view Atlantis as Aquaman's city. Especially when he'll probably be king again in a few years.

I always feel bad for writers when they seem willing to write marriages or characters in deep, committed, relationships and then they have to go through editorial...

It's nice to see she was enthusiastic in bringing Aquaman and Aqualad together. Now show Garth some love .

Thanks for the summary, Vordan!

Interesting note from her about her view of Arthur's and Mera's characters and relationship. And I can understand why a lot of pop culture publishers are fond of love triangles. They are cheap relationship drama where you never have to deal with relationship issues. I remember one of the actors in the Bilbo trilogy complaining about getting stuck in a love triangle as well, when she had been promised she wouldn't have to deal with one.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I like the sound of that. And thanks for summary.

Mera picking Vulko definitely seems more like a tactical move rather than actually creating a real triangle.
    Definitely. Which is why I said non-existent. Best hope, though with love triangle. I admit Arthur is title character, and I am wary, thinking editorial might bring in another love interest for him. With Vulko, it could sort of have a meta quality to if you think of her answering in a fashion akin to writer answering editorial's demand.