Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

I mostly remember Aquaman from watching the Superfriends cartoon as a kid.

I actually forgot that I own some Aquaman comics. Getting close to Zero Hour in my rereading of my non-Bat DC books, so I just reread Aquaman: Time and Tide. It's much darker than I remembered. Who knew that an entire issue about a pod of dolphins could be so sad?

I also have the first 8 issues of the ongoing series that followed it (1-2, 0, 3-7). That was right around the time I started buying comics regularly, so I guess I just didn't like the series enough at the time to keep it on my pull list. Which seems weird, since I later became a big fan of Peter David's writing on Hulk and Supergirl. As I'm rereading stuff that I haven't looked at in 20+ years, I'm making a want list of back issues to catch up on, so we'll see if I like the series more this time around.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

I fell off Aquaman during the Corum Rath storyline, it felt like it was taking too long for me, but I hopped back on during the Mother Shark stuff and I loved Kelly Sue Deconnick's take on Aquaman. Admittedly, her first issue didn't grab me when it first came out but I've been catching up (I think I'm coming up on the part I jump in on) and this is probably my favorite run of Aquaman since his early Rebirth stuff. The infusion of mythology and well-handled character work KSD is doing is great, I can see this being up there with Priest's run on Deathstroke as one of my favorite comic book runs of all time down the road. I'm excited to see how she handles Aquaman's relationship with Aqualad, I don't think they've worked together all that much, if at all, since the New 52.

So a thought I had when I was catching up, Do you think DC could be shaping Aquaman up to be a sorta counterpoint to Thor? I wouldn't say they are necessarily aiming for that but the introduction of the older gods into his cast and the Drowned Earth event expanding his mythos cosmically made me think of Thor for some reason. I could see it if they went that way (not like make him a god or anything), and it would be a smart move in regard to synergy with the movies considering AquaMamoa and HemsThor do both have a similar vibe about them and Aquaman has been one of DC's most successful movies in a minute.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-22-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I fell off Aquaman during the Corum Rath storyline, it felt like it was taking too long for me, but I hopped back on during the Mother Shark stuff and I loved Kelly Sue Deconnick's take on Aquaman. Admittedly, her first issue didn't grab me when I first came out but I've been catching up (I think I'm coming up on the part I jump in on) and this is probably my favorite run of Aquaman since his early Rebirth stuff. The infusion of mythology and well-handled character work KSD is doing is great, I can see this being up there with Priest's run on Deathstroke as one of my favorite comic book runs of all time down the road. I'm excited to see how she handles Aquaman's relationship with Aqualad, I don't think they've worked together all that much, if at all, since the New 52.

So a thought I had when I was catching up, Do you think DC could be shaping Aquaman up to be a sorta counterpoint to Thor? I wouldn't say they are necessarily aiming for that but the introduction of the older gods into his cast and the Drowned Earth event expanding his mythos cosmically made me think of Thor for some reason. I could see it if they went that way (not like make him a god or anything), and I would be a smart move in regard to synergy with the movies considering AquaMamoa and HemsThor do both have a similar vibe about them and Aquaman has been one of DC's most successful movies in a minute.
    I have been reading Arthur in Hemsworth's voice since this run began. I'm loving it. I didn't realize I could get this excited about an Aquaman run. The character work and the pacing have been fantastic. I love that it doesn't feel beholden to having a fight every issue. It allows it all to flow so much better. I just hope she gets a good long run on the title, because this is the biggest bright spot at DC at the moment.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I fell off Aquaman during the Corum Rath storyline, it felt like it was taking too long for me, but I hopped back on during the Mother Shark stuff and I loved Kelly Sue Deconnick's take on Aquaman. Admittedly, her first issue didn't grab me when it first came out but I've been catching up (I think I'm coming up on the part I jump in on) and this is probably my favorite run of Aquaman since his early Rebirth stuff. The infusion of mythology and well-handled character work KSD is doing is great, I can see this being up there with Priest's run on Deathstroke as one of my favorite comic book runs of all time down the road. I'm excited to see how she handles Aquaman's relationship with Aqualad, I don't think they've worked together all that much, if at all, since the New 52.
    I am 99% sure this is the first time they've ever met each other. Garth met Jackson before Arthur ever did.
    So a thought I had when I was catching up, Do you think DC could be shaping Aquaman up to be a sorta counterpoint to Thor? I wouldn't say they are necessarily aiming for that but the introduction of the older gods into his cast and the Drowned Earth event expanding his mythos cosmically made me think of Thor for some reason. I could see it if they went that way (not like make him a god or anything), and it would be a smart move in regard to synergy with the movies considering AquaMamoa and HemsThor do both have a similar vibe about them and Aquaman has been one of DC's most successful movies in a minute.
    I think Momoa's Aquaman definitely has some post-Ragnarok Thor in his take, but I've always been against trying to match comic Aquaman to movie Aquaman too much.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This week's issue was a really great read.

Yeah I love how quickly Arthur and Kaldur bonded. Mera and Vulko are clearly playing for time, if it wasn’t obvious before. And we’ve got Manta Mech coming up along with some good Lovecraftian storytelling. So far it’s been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I have been reading Arthur in Hemsworth's voice since this run began. I'm loving it. I didn't realize I could get this excited about an Aquaman run. The character work and the pacing have been fantastic. I love that it doesn't feel beholden to having a fight every issue. It allows it all to flow so much better. I just hope she gets a good long run on the title, because this is the biggest bright spot at DC at the moment.
    You dont have to have a fight in every issue but the least she can do is move the plot foward a bit. Good character moments alone won't get people to stick with this book. After this issue , I'm debating if I should drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    You dont have to have a fight in every issue but the least she can do is move the plot foward a bit. Good character moments alone won't get people to stick with this book. After this issue , I'm debating if I should drop it.
    ...but she did move the plot forward, this part of the plot is moving in the Old Gods and positioning the cast to face whatever they're gonna be facing in the future like Black Manta or whatever Lovecraftian tentacle monster that is at the end of the issue. besides, I don't think people have been coming to or enjoying KSD's run because of it's totally rad action scenes, most of the praises I've seen of her work so far has been for the well structured plotting and her character work. just because people didn't get punched doesn't mean the plot didn't move forward, character work is necessary to advance the plot, it's not like we haven't had any action scenes up to this point in the run. respectfully, you may be following the wrong book if character work doesn't interest you enough, I had to drop Green Lantern for now because Morrison run felt too busy and too much of Morrison brand "quirky"; it just wasn't for me. maybe it'll read better for you in trade.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

...but she did move the plot forward, this part of the plot is moving in the Old Gods and positioning the cast to face whatever they're gonna be facing in the future like Black Manta or whatever Lovecraftian tentacle monster that is at the end of the issue. besides, I don't think people have been coming to or enjoying KSD's run because of it's totally rad action scenes, most of the praises I've seen of her work so far has been for the well structured plotting and her character work. just because people didn't get punched doesn't mean the plot didn't move forward, character work is necessary to advance the plot, it's not like we haven't had any action scenes up to this point in the run. respectfully, you may be following the wrong book if character work doesn't interest you enough, I had to drop Green Lantern for now because Morrison run felt too busy and too much of Morrison brand "quirky"; it just wasn't for me. maybe it'll read better for you in trade.
    It took you one sentence to summarize a 40 page issue and the last issue. Thank you.

I think you need to read other comics and see what a good comic is.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 08-23-2019 at 09:18 AM.

It took you one sentence to summarize a 40 page issue and the last issue. Thank you.

I think you need to read other comics and see what a good comic is.
    I sincerely hope you do realize literally anything can be summarized in one sentence.

I've read plenty of comics, and if we're being honest, comic book storytelling is still like a decade behind movie or television storytelling right now; it seems you just don't know how to recognize good storytelling. I say "it seems" because unlike you I wasn't trying to insult you by presuming to know how well you can grasp and appreciate different forms of storytelling and it's elements, even though it's clear you don't because your big complaints are "the big burly comic book men didn't punch enough things" and "character work can't possible be something people enjoy in their stories, with characters". I digress, anyway let me not get caught up in you're...whatever has you so childishly condescending, clearly this run isn't for you but it is definitely for me. so I'll continue to enjoy with the rest of the people who do and you can drop it and wait it out or watch Hardcore Henry or whatever you do.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

I agree with the opinion that KSDs Aquaman moves at a snail's pace (and that is being generous) and I already dropped it for that. If someone told me I was wrong about why I did not like it I might be a little testy too.

I sincerely hope you do realize literally anything can be summarized in one sentence.

I've read plenty of comics, and if we're being honest, comic book storytelling is still like a decade behind movie or television storytelling right now; it seems you just don't know how to recognize good storytelling. I say "it seems" because unlike you I wasn't trying to insult you by presuming to know how well you can grasp and appreciate different forms of storytelling and it's elements, even though it's clear you don't because your big complaints are "the big burly comic book men didn't punch enough things" and "character work can't possible be something people enjoy in their stories, with characters". I digress, anyway let me not get caught up in you're...whatever has you so childishly condescending, clearly this run isn't for you but it is definitely for me. so I'll continue to enjoy with the rest of the people who do and you can drop it and wait it out or watch Hardcore Henry or whatever you do.
    You shouldn't assume anything especially when I have given you no reason.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 08-23-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I agree with the opinion that KSDs Aquaman moves at a snail's pace (and that is being generous) and I already dropped it for that. If someone told me I was wrong about why I did not like it I might be a little testy too.
    I didn't say he his opinion was wrong, I just explained the book probably simply isn't for him. every review I've read or opinion from people who have enjoyed her run isn't because of the action, it was because of the character work. so if you aren't enjoying the character work then maybe this book isn't for you. I even used my own experience as an example of sometimes some books aren't for you and even suggested he trade-wait. I dropped KSD run on the first issue because I thought it was boring but when I reread it later down the run, I enjoyed it significantly more than I thought I would. the difference between you and this guy is instead of just dropping the book, we wants to argue that I don't know how comics work because HE THINKS character work doesn't doesn't progress the plot. that's not being testy, that's kinda just being a dick.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-23-2019 at 10:11 AM.

currently following:

You shouldn't assume anything especially when I have given you no reason.
    I think you gave a reason with that "good comic" crack - like no one who disagrees with you knows what a good comic is. I'm enjoying Aquaman a lot right now. Might not keep my enjoyment long-term, but it;s much better than some other titles, so far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think you gave a reason with that "good comic" crack - like no one who disagrees with you knows what a good comic is. I'm enjoying Aquaman a lot right now. Might not keep my enjoyment long-term, but it;s much better than some other titles, so far as I'm concerned.
    See all I said was good characterization alone isn't enough and the plot moving at a slow pace is a problem for me. This guy for some reason thinks that that it's not the slow pace that I dont like, it's the character work. My "good comic" was directed at him for a reason. If I really thought that, I wouldn't have singled him out and now he wants to play the victim nah lol.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 08-23-2019 at 10:26 AM.