Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Parker's run also was followed up by Bunn's, which tried to reshuffle everything. So the timing might have been key to why it wasnt followed up on. I'm surprised that Abnett never followed up on it, since he built a lot off the Johns/Parker stuff.

Man, Jeff Parker should get another go with AQUAMAN. His run was so good and so short.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Glad to hear it, dude. There were a few times I'd read solicits (and colored by editorial's history), I would be nervous but I wanted to give KSD the benefit of the doubt and so far she's done nothing but prove it was the better choice. Yeah, I hate the tats and don't care for the long hair, but I can live with it. Robson/Viktor pull it off so even I like it. If that's my major complaint so far then I think we're in for a solid run unless editorial swings some dead weight, and given KSD's Word Balloon podcast interview, I have every belief we're in for a good time.
    If #50 is any indication of the quality of the book going forward, we are in for a real great ride.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Why? They were earned in-story, shows his connection with a bunch of real mythological gods of the seas, and marks him as a protector of the ocean.

(Though I'd have preferred if they arrived in bits and pieces, the final ones after her vision quest with Mother Shark.)
    They are also based on a real life culture that Arthur in the comics has no connection to.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Parker's run also was followed up by Bunn's, which tried to reshuffle everything. So the timing might have been key to why it wasnt followed up on. I'm surprised that Abnett never followed up on it, since he built a lot off the Johns/Parker stuff.

Man, Jeff Parker should get another go with AQUAMAN. His run was so good and so short.
    Do we know why he left?
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They are also based on a real life culture that Arthur in the comics has no connection to.
    So ? Why couldn't a black/polynesian/asian get Celtic tatoos, or a white Polynesian tatoos ? If they are earned, and not just a whimsical wish, I don't see the problem at all.

You know, unless they retcon Arthur into being Polynesian, he really has no business wearing those tattoos.
    It feels like forced movie synergy. Even moreso then the long beard and hair did.

Just took a dip into this thread out of curiosity to see what people are saying about this run, and I'm glad to see that you mostly seem very positive. I think I'll check out the volume 1 TPB when it comes out (Amazon and Goodreads both say August 13th, although DC's webpage doesn't list it yet).

I'm a KSD admirer from her Image books Bitch Planet and Pretty Deadly, and the parts of her Captain Marvel that I've read (and her interviews, in which she's funny and badass and whip-smart). I was excited to see her get this gig just as the big movie was coming, and I read the first two or three issues, but it struck me as only "fine," and I dropped it. No disrespect, I just have a high bar to keep reading a comic in floppies, as they're so expensive, page for page, and it can be a challenge to maintain investment in a story in bite-size chunks once or twice a month. But it sounds like it's developing in some interesting directions that might get me back on board. Thanks for the nudge, everyone.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I don't think knowing his mother is alive would magically solve his abandonment issues. It doesn't change that she left him in the first place. Him still having these issues makes a lot of sense.
    Sure, but he's made a lot of peace with it all given that he understands the context; she was under the impression he was dead and there was an atempt on her life which had her flee the known world before Arthur made his appearance as Aquaman. She had no way of really knowing.

He'd still have some issues, but a lifetime of growing, maturing (and he had to as the best king Atlantis will ever see) and his time with Mera lead me to believe that once he settled things with her in the Maelstrom, he'd have forgiven her and began moving on. It wouldn't be the eternal sore point for him it was, else he really hasn't grown much as a character since he was that boy at the lighthouse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sure, but he's made a lot of peace with it all given that he understands the context; she was under the impression he was dead and there was an atempt on her life which had her flee the known world before Arthur made his appearance as Aquaman. She had no way of really knowing.

He'd still have some issues, but a lifetime of growing, maturing (and he had to as the best king Atlantis will ever see) and his time with Mera lead me to believe that once he settled things with her in the Maelstrom, he'd have forgiven her and began moving on. It wouldn't be the eternal sore point for him it was, else he really hasn't grown much as a character since he was that boy at the lighthouse.
    He's grown, but I just can't buy a situation where he doesn't want to get to know her and spend time with her. She's alive just doesn't seem like enough to me. Either way, the original wound should inform his character because that sort of issue doesn't just vanish. Glad it worked for you though.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Is there an in-universe explanation for why Orm has a last name and no one else in Atlantis seems to? Or is it just a two-part first name like Mary Jane?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Is there an in-universe explanation for why Orm has a last name and no one else in Atlantis seems to? Or is it just a two-part first name like Mary Jane?
    Maybe Atlanteans just don't like talking about their last name ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Orm really is all about the aesthetic.

BANNED

Are you also one of those people who think white people shouldn't have cornrows or dreadlocks? Even if they want to? -__________-
    By the same token, I guess Martin Lawrence should never have been "The Black Knight".

Anyway, the tattoos...I don't think that's something the comics needed to incorporate from the film, but whatever.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 07-27-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Are you also one of those people who think white people shouldn't have cornrows or dreadlocks? Even if they want to? -__________-
    By the same token, I guess Martin Lawrence should never have been "The Black Knight".

Anyway, the tattoos...I don't think that's something the comics needed to incorporate from the film, but whatever.
    From what I remember about how well that movie did, Martin Lawerence probably wishes he hadn't been the black knight .

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

I forgot all about this movie. Lol.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"