Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Wonder Woman has had long-time creative troubles since Rucka's creative team departed, either in writing or in art due to the dense schedule. Right now the writing is good and improving due to G Willow Wilson, but the art is highly inconsistent.
    Yeah the art on WW is not for me. Sucks because I like Wilson and would want to read it. Comics are a collaborative joint though, the art and writing need to mesh.

I would like AQUAMAN to be bi-monthly, but one look at SINK ATLANTIS or DROWNED EARTH will change my mind pretty quickly. When Abnett was on AQUAMAN and it was bi-monthly it didn't really slump in quality until the very end (which wasn't his fault, just editorial having Synder blow to everything Abnett had built for over 50 something issues). The art was rock solid all the way up to SINK ATLANTIS too, honestly...where it went off a cliff.

Gonna ask again, Maybe somebody can help me, I haven't bought the latest issues of Aquaman, Not sure if I would do it, especially as elsewhere I have read that the recent issues are not that good, with Mera having suitors in an attempt to recreate a Penelope story version as in Homer's Odyssey. I would appreciate if someone can confirm this.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Gonna ask again, Maybe somebody can help me, I haven't bought the latest issues of Aquaman, Not sure if I would do it, especially as elsewhere I have read that the recent issues are not that good, with Mera having suitors in an attempt to recreate a Penelope story version as in Homer's Odyssey. I would appreciate if someone can confirm this.
    Thanks
    Mera has been shown on three pages over the issues so far. She's mentioned as having suitors, nothing else. (And the Penelope setup is by no means unique, and nothing implies that DeConnick follows the Odyssey here.)

Personally, I like it. Good mysterious island, good mythical work, good art. And unlike poor Ric Grayson, amnesiac Aquaman is at least working in constructive and interesting ways, not setting out to prove what he's not.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Mera has been shown on three pages over the issues so far. She's mentioned as having suitors, nothing else. (And the Penelope setup is by no means unique, and nothing implies that DeConnick follows the Odyssey here.)

Personally, I like it. Good mysterious island, good mythical work, good art. And unlike poor Ric Grayson, amnesiac Aquaman is at least working in constructive and interesting ways, not setting out to prove what he's not.
    Thanks, at least I now have an idea. Will give it a try, However I am a little tired that Arthur has all these problems with being a King, they seem to have no idea on how to give him stability and continuity as a King. He always has to have problems as a ruler. Can't they figure out that he can be an acceptable king and continue with his adventures?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Thanks, at least I now have an idea. Will give it a try, However I am a little tired that Arthur has all these problems with being a King, they seem to have no idea on how to give him stability and continuity as a King. He always has to have problems as a ruler. Can't they figure out that he can be an acceptable king and continue with his adventures?
    It is ridiculous that he constantly has to regain his crown, it's boring.

I want to see Arthur and Mera having adventures as heads of state. What is on Arthur's platform as a leader? Every day life in Atlantis. Stuff like that.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

I want to see Arthur and Mera having adventures as heads of state. What is on Arthur's platform as a leader? Every day life in Atlantis. Stuff like that.
    Agreed. When was the last time we saw Aquaman actually settled into his role as King of Atlantis for more than 5 mins? Jurgens/Epting's short run?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Indeed it is ridiculous, besides contradictory as he is supposed to be the bridge between the sea and the surface, how can he be so when he loses his crown every so often. Another contradiction is that Atlanteans don't consider him as one of them and therefore not worthy of the crown, but it is ok to have Mera, a xebellian enemy as monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Agreed. When was the last time we saw Aquaman actually settled into his role as King of Atlantis for more than 5 mins? Jurgens/Epting's short run?
    End of Johns through Parker's run, and I guess for half of Abnett's run maybe.

Spectacular Member

Indeed it is ridiculous, besides contradictory as he is supposed to be the bridge between the sea and the surface, how can he be so when he loses his crown every so often. Another contradiction is that Atlanteans don't consider him as one of them and therefore not worthy of the crown, but it is ok to have Mera, a xebellian enemy as monarch.
    This, times 10. I’ve brought this up many times, as it seems to get over looked. It makes absolutely no sense for Mera to be queen right now. The Atlantans are extremely traditional, and only tolerated Arthur as king because of their strict adherence to tradition. But now they’ll make someone their queen who has no ties to the throne, and her people who she came from our considered enemies. Someone explain to me how that makes sense?

If they could pick and choose their kings/queens, Arthur would of never been made king in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    This, times 10. I’ve brought this up many times, as it seems to get over looked. It makes absolutely no sense for Mera to be queen right now. The Atlantans are extremely traditional, and only tolerated Arthur as king because of their strict adherence to tradition. But now they’ll make someone their queen who has no ties to the throne, and her people who she came from our considered enemies. Someone explain to me how that makes sense?

If they could pick and choose their kings/queens, Arthur would of never been made king in the first place.

seems to me they cannot figure out how to make Arthur a king and a hero. To make him an acceptable king who wins the respect of the Atlanteans is something they cannot find a solution how to develop.
    Quite foolish in my opinion, especially now, since the movie created some new interest in the character. Elsewhere I read from people who really wanted to follow Aquaman also in the comics because of the movie. Only to find Arthur not being the king of seven seas and hardly ever was. His relationship to Mera is another mess. The story is so mixed up that they gave up from the very beginning.
    DC had the chance to exploit the interest brought by the movie and instead they didn't do that.
    Even loyal comic fans are tired. I have been for years an Aquaman fan, but lately I started started to give a pass. Not sure if I will continue to follow Aquaman.

Aquaman losing the crown again does come off as redundant. I too would like him to be the acting King of Atlantis for a while. I think DC feels like taking the crown away provides/adds drama to the mythos and I think they are right to an extent; but this has been done too many times with Aquaman even before the reboot.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

The sequel to Aquaman is schedule to open in theaters December 16, 2022. The countdown begins.

At this point I think everyone is a little over the "Arthur loses the crown" bit which is another reason I think I've been diggging the current arc so much. Aside from those few pages with Mera the monarchy hasn't been a big plot point. It's nice to get away from it for a bit. Of course, I would love to see more of a settled King Arthur actually showing him as a ruler with no issues but DC doesn't seem to think that's an interesting approach to take. Depending on how long DeConnick stays on the book, and if she even has Arthur go back to Atlantis I hope it's dealt with quickly and we move on.

With Mera as Queen it could put Arthur in a good spot to actually be out and about with the Atlantean people fostering more goodwill while she handles the big stuff. Almost have the role Abnett had for Mera as "Aquawoman" switched with him.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post

think that's the reason I haven't been enjoying KSD run. It's not bad but the whole situation feels forced. As for Mera being the queen, I mean it's not like its being explored so there's no real reason why she is.

I'm with Flash Gordon, I just want some Aquaman and Mera adventures.

I read issue #45 and thought it was kinda meh Namma is introduced but the build-up and surprise twist didn't really do it for me. I hope we get to see more of Atlantis and Mera in the upcoming issues.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yup. Sign me up for that too, though I'm enjoying the current run thus far. I also saw some Penelope vibes in the Mera subplot so you're not alone, ChrisG... Though given DC's hatred of relationships, who knows how it'll turn out.