Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Do we know how long is Deconnick suppose to be on the title? The first few issues have been slow for me but I'm still interested in the story. Although as others have stated I'm not keen on Arthur being amnesiac for so long.
    how long will she be on the title? whatever it will be always too much.
    Arthur being amnesiac till June seems, is not long, its an eternity.
    BTW the pic of Arthur Mera and their son together posted earlier will appear in 48 & 49, clearly some flashback.

BANNED

Looking at the Aquaman film I wasnt to fond on the Arthur/Mera romance I felt like it was rushed because of all the other story elements needing to be resolved. I think they should of hinted at the romance in the first film then build on it in the second.

Comic wise I feel like we're going back in time to already threaded upon stories with Aquaman. Feels like a Post-Obsidian Age comic run so far. I'm curious to see where DeConnick takes it though. Wonder if anything Snyder introduced in Drowned Earth will be brought up as well outside Poseidon's death.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Looking at the Aquaman film I wasnt to fond on the Arthur/Mera romance I felt like it was rushed because of all the other story elements needing to be resolved. I think they should of hinted at the romance in the first film then build on it in the second.

Comic wise I feel like we're going back in time to already threaded upon stories with Aquaman. Feels like a Post-Obsidian Age comic run so far. I'm curious to see where DeConnick takes it though. Wonder if anything Snyder introduced in Drowned Earth will be brought up as well outside Poseidon's death.
    wasn't much of romance in the movie, just a kiss after much antagonism between them.
    as for the comics seems they don't intend to have him connected to Atlantis or the atlantean folklore

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    wasn't much of romance in the movie, just a kiss after much antagonism between them.
    as for the comics seems they don't intend to have him connected to Atlantis or the atlantean folklore
    I thought it wasn't built into that well is all I'm saying. I doubt him not being connected to Atlantis or its folklore will last to long. Atlantis is a big part of the character. What I was more curious about was The life energy thing that was brought up in Drowned Earth. Black Manta suggested he had so much power and was wasting it talking to fish. I'm curious to see if we'll ever get a look to what Manta meant and what The life energy of the ocean is expanded on.

I thought it wasn't built into that well is all I'm saying. I doubt him not being connected to Atlantis or its folklore will last to long. Atlantis is a big part of the character. What I was more curious about was The life energy thing that was brought up in Drowned Earth. Black Manta suggested he had so much power and was wasting it talking to fish. I'm curious to see if we'll ever get a look to what Manta meant and what The life energy of the ocean is expanded on.
    Agreed, the romance wasn't built well. As for Arthur's connection with Atlantis until we have the current run it seems we won't have that, they clearly see that it is limiting him and want to take him on a course that separates him from that background. KSD was clear about this.
    Besides This amnesiac arc it is too long, Considering that the movie generated interest in the character, they could have exploit it better. Instead any new fan who approached with interest found a confusing scenario in which the could not recognize anything. The movie made Mera and Manta standout besides Arthur, in the comics they are ignored or dismissed as minor or non existent characters.

BANNED

Agreed, the romance wasn't built well. As for Arthur's connection with Atlantis until we have the current run it seems we won't have that, they clearly see that it is limiting him and want to take him on a course that separates him from that background. KSD was clear about this.
    Besides This amnesiac arc it is too long, Considering that the movie generated interest in the character, they could have exploit it better. Instead any new fan who approached with interest found a confusing scenario in which the could not recognize anything. The movie made Mera and Manta standout besides Arthur, in the comics they are ignored or dismissed as minor or non existent characters.
    I generally can't stand when followup stories disregard things that happened just an arc before or story elements arent touched up on again. For the most part it honestly seems writers don't like touching each others toys would be my guess.

I'm still curious to what happened to the people from Thule in Bunn's run.

I agree about Black Manta and Mera. If a writer wants to tell a story where Aquaman is a way from Mera I'm completely fine with that but I feel like at the very least Mera should get a backup story showing how she's doing as Queen of Atlantis. I'm still surprised that Aquaman Earth One wasny released in the time for the success of the movie. Also I dont see no reason why both Mera and Aquaman cant be on the league or swap when they're not covering each others spot on the team.

Black Manta could probably make a good miniseries.

BANNED

Might be an unpopular suggestion but I think Bunn's Aquaman run with some tweaks would make for a good movie. It starts with good exposition into what's going on, the threat and what Aquaman's been up to. Upon a second read I dont even think its a bad story I actually enjoyed it. Maybe because I was going in the 2nd time knowing Mera wasn't the villain.

Id change the way Mera was handled in the story for adaption and id try to fit Manta in there some how maybe he's hired to kill the Thule refugees or something. Id turn the villain to Atlan and maybe combine both Death of a King and The Thule arc into one story for the film.

I generally can't stand when followup stories disregard things that happened just an arc before or story elements arent touched up on again. For the most part it honestly seems writers don't like touching each others toys would be my guess.

I'm still curious to what happened to the people from Thule in Bunn's run.

I agree about Black Manta and Mera. If a writer wants to tell a story where Aquaman is a way from Mera I'm completely fine with that but I feel like at the very least Mera should get a backup story showing how she's doing as Queen of Atlantis. I'm still surprised that Aquaman Earth One wasny released in the time for the success of the movie. Also I dont see no reason why both Mera and Aquaman cant be on the league or swap when they're not covering each others spot on the team.

Black Manta could probably make a good miniseries.
    I could go with a story in which Aquaman is away from Atlantis but you can't write off Mera as they are doing, disregard her story and fiery character, making her take a husband which goes against her independent personality.

Aquaman and Mera have worked well putting aside their love story, because they compliment each other well, she is usually the head strong one while he is the voice of reason etc. Besides this fact that he can't be king for a minute before being toppled is boring. Even Mera being a Queen is nonsense, when for all these years she hated Atlantis and all it stands for, I could understand it, if she had a son and had to protect his interests, not suddenly she decides to be queen of a people she has always hated. Besides a xebellian ruling Atlantis must make the old atlantean kings turn in their graves.
    Geoff Jones managed to make Aquaman great, KSD will probably bury him for good if she separates Arthur and Mera. The declining sales should open their eyes.

BANNED

I could go with a story in which Aquaman is away from Atlantis but you can't write off Mera as they are doing, disregard her story and fiery character, making her take a husband which goes against her independent personality.

Aquaman and Mera have worked well putting aside their love story, because they compliment each other well, she is usually the head strong one while he is the voice of reason etc. Besides this fact that he can't be king for a minute before being toppled is boring. Even Mera being a Queen is nonsense, when for all these years she hated Atlantis and all it stands for, I could understand it, if she had a son and had to protect his interests, not suddenly she decides to be queen of a people she has always hated. Besides a xebellian ruling Atlantis must make the old atlantean kings turn in their graves.
    Geoff Jones managed to make Aquaman great, KSD will probably bury him for good if she separates Arthur and Mera. The declining sales should open their eyes.

I thought the declining sales had more to do with the story being boring more than anything. Lmao but yeah character consistency is pretty bad in the story too. A lot of the Mera/Atlantis stuff is Abnett's fault in all fairness to KSD.

I thought the declining sales had more to do with the story being boring more than anything. Lmao but yeah character consistency is pretty bad in the story too. A lot of the Mera/Atlantis stuff is Abnett's fault in all fairness to KSD.
    yes Abnett shares his fair share, But she could have changed it, instead, she totally writes off Atlantis/Mera, she insults Mera's history by making her take a husband as if she was a submissive princess of centuries ago. She ALSO had the chance to capitalize from the Movie success, instead she goes the opposite direction.
    Off course Declining sales are due to boring stories, the ones buying it now are only diehard fans, but they will get tired as well, if their favourite character continues to be destroyed systematically.

BANNED

I watched this video on YouTube and I couldnt put my mind into what my issue with Mera was in the movie and then it clicked seeing this.
    https://youtu.be/L8_h0Fhr0LA

Mera's goal was to help Arthur dethrone Orm because she didnt agree with what he was planning and cared about her people that much was clear. But her reason for the goal wasnt really expanded on. The reason for her to be so motivated to helping Arthur was just left alone and it just made her come off as a token love interest character. I had the same issue with her in The Throne of Atlantis animated movie. I feel like she should of been given more depth and extra 15 minutes could of done the trick.

I watched this video on YouTube and I couldnt put my mind into what my issue with Mera was in the movie and then it clicked seeing this.
    https://youtu.be/L8_h0Fhr0LA

Mera's goal was to help Arthur dethrone Orm because she didnt agree with what he was planning and cared about her people that much was clear. But her reason for the goal wasnt really expanded on. The reason for her to be so motivated to helping Arthur was just left alone and it just made her come off as a token love interest character. I had the same issue with her in The Throne of Atlantis animated movie. I feel like she should of been given more depth and extra 15 minutes could of done the trick.
    Agreed they could have explained the motives behind her actions, although in the movie her character has a different background, they kept her fiery independent spirit. However I do not agree that she is a token love interest in the movie, she is the driving force, she saves him more than once and even manages to make him a king.

Her comic version is of total devotion towards him, loyal to a fault although fiery and headstrong personality. He is the one that usually calms her down, the voice of reason, while she is prone to strike first. Thats why its ridiculous how they have transformed her in the latest comics issues, which is so out of character.
    In the movie they kept her personality, although honestly they made Arthur look dumb.

BANNED

My problem though is she doesnt have much depth in the film she's a guide/mentor type character with little to go on to why she wants to do what she wants or why she feels so strongly about it

I agreee about this in One too

https://youtu.be/roZsvPSbW-Y

In the comics he's a sympathetic villaon. Whereas in the movie he's a straight up villain

The Trench as the first antagonist would have worked a lot better. Dont need much focus on them and it gives Arthur and Mera more screen time for better development. It worked well for Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    The Trench as the first antagonist would have worked a lot better. Dont need much focus on them and it gives Arthur and Mera more screen time for better development. It worked well for Wonder Woman.
    Wonder Woman had like 3 antagonist as well and switched the idea of who the main villain is.