Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ah, thanks.

That's a pretty famous cover.

What's Aquaman's 1st solo cover appearance?

This is from his first appearance in More Fun Comics and I always think of it as his first cover. Even though it's just the title, him leaping out blocking the shell fired while holding that woman looks awesome and is kinda like a cover to me.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Nothing more classic DC then beating up some Nazi's .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nothing more classic DC then beating up some Nazi's .
    Tell that to the non-existent JSA.

I really want an Elseworld focusing on the entirety of the DCU fighting Nazis in WWII.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

ComicTropes has an intro to Aquaman's various runs, trying to describe the styles and strengths of each of them.

Wait, the Golden Age Aquaman, who 1st appeared in 1941, never once graced a comic book cover?

Arthur spent his first 20 years without showing up on a single cover until after his Silver Age started?

That's a bummer.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

There is this Adventure Comics featuring Aquaman collecting previous appearances that released in 1959 according to the digital version... but I don't know if it's a new digital collection or they really did release a collection back then...

ICO003443_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    It's official: Aquaman is the biggest DC Extended Universe movie ever

This is really cool and I'm glad it's Arthur who is getting this boost. It's really fun to see so many people falling in love with the character despite the jokes that have forever followed him in popular media.
    Cool for Aquaman and all, but this just highlights what a trainwreck The DCEU has been.

Super pumped today! I got my copy of "The Art and Making of Aquaman" today and it's a huge book with lots of great concept art and tidbits about the movie. Going to dig into it this week and see if I can find any fun facts to share about the movie. Just giving it a quick skim through there are tons of cool images and the concept art is phenomenal.

Last edited by Psycwave; 01-07-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Wait, the Golden Age Aquaman, who 1st appeared in 1941, never once graced a comic book cover?

Arthur spent his first 20 years without showing up on a single cover until after his Silver Age started?

That's a bummer.
    He appeared on the covers of ADVENTURE COMICS, before he got his own book.

Super pumped today! I got my copy of "The Art and Making of Aquaman" today and it's a huge book with lots of great concept art and tidbits about the movie. Going to dig into it this week and see if I can find any fun facts to share about the movie. Just giving it a quick skim through them are tons of cool images and the concept art is phenomenal.

Even the art book looks gorgeous.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

2018 turned out to be a big year for the King of the Sea, so here's hoping 2019 is another great one for Arthur (and Mera)!

I was worried about KSD's run given all the information that came out before it dropped in December, but the first issue was fun! Hopefully the creative team can keep that going. Aquaman has continued to be amazing since the title character came back from the grave, sans one short arc, so here's to another year!

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    His first solo cover appearance was from Aquaman #1 in 1962, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    He appeared on the covers of ADVENTURE COMICS, before he got his own book.

That's a bummer.

Actually, some corrections are needed.

As Psycwave pointed out, Aquaman's first cover appearance was indeed in Brave and the Bold 28 (cover dated Feb-Mar 1960, so it went on sale in late 1959).

However, Aquaman's first SOLO cover was NOT Aquaman 1 (Jan-Feb 1962). Before he got his first solo series, Aquaman had a 4-issue tryout in Showcase from issues 30-33. Showcase 30 came out a year before in Jan-Feb 1961. Right after Aquaman's 4 issue tryout, the Ray Palmer Atom debuted in Showcase 34.

As far as Adventure Comics is concerned, Aquaman NEVER appeared on an Adventure Comics cover until his strip was revived with issue 441 in 1975 after his solo series was canceled in 1971. When his Adventure run sold well, his solo comic was revived for a bit in 1977, so that's where Aquaman appeared on Adventure covers "before" his solo series.

To add insult to injury, Aquaman also never appeared on covers in his first home, More Fun Comics even though every other superhero he shared the book with did: Spectre, Doctor Fate, Green Arrow, Johnny Quick, and Superboy. Green Arrow first appeared in the same comic that Aquaman first appeared in: More Fun Comics 73. By More Fun 77, Green Arrow was made the cover star (sometimes Johnny Quick got a cover) until Superboy was created and grabbed the covers. When they all moved to Adventure Comics, Superboy got every cover.

Yeah, it sucks that Aquaman didn't get a solo cover until 20 years after he first appeared, but at least his strip wasn't dropped like Dr. Fate and Spectre (and Starman and Sandman when Aquaman and the others moved to Adventure).
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 01-07-2019 at 05:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Was he just not that popular?

Super pumped today! I got my copy of "The Art and Making of Aquaman" today and it's a huge book with lots of great concept art and tidbits about the movie. Going to dig into it this week and see if I can find any fun facts to share about the movie. Just giving it a quick skim through there are tons of cool images and the concept art is phenomenal.

The fish scale design on Aquaman looks great. Small nitpick, I just wish they had implemented that on Mera's costume. The hexagons aren't bad but they're not aesthetically pleasing like fish scales lol.

My wife got me the N52 Johns Omnibus for christmas and I have been rereading through his run. It was just so dang good.