Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Looks like Black Manta is back in July.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Antone/stat...86541969215488

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Looks like Black Manta is back in July.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Antone/stat...86541969215488
    About time .

Still not really caring for the tats but it's going to be exciting watching Arthur get the Old Gods used to Amnesty Bay and meeting up with Jackson finally. I love how Arthur always manages to find his own little ragtag group of people. Folks of Sub Diego, The Others, the refugees of Thule, the Old Gods; he's everyone's dad.

Still not really caring for the tats but it's going to be exciting watching Arthur get the Old Gods used to Amnesty Bay and meeting up with Jackson finally. I love how Arthur always manages to find his own little ragtag group of people. Folks of Sub Diego, The Others, the refugees of Thule, the Old Gods; he's everyone's dad.

The return of Black Manta and Aqualad are certainly great ways to mark the latest milestone for the title .

Look, I could stand the long hair and beard, but the shirtless tattoo look is taking it too far. Comic Arthur isn't even Hawaiian, so why would he have the tattoos? Momoa doesn't even look like that in the movies anymore. It just doesn't work.

I also find it kind of funny that DeConnick talked about toning down Aquaman's masculinity when he can't even keep a shirt on apparently .

His Injustce 2 design had some tattoos as well, but they were not all over his body so it wasn't that distracting. I liked the movie but don't care much for the Momoa look, nor would DC trying to capitalize on it bring in any new readers, so I never understood the whole "synergy" thing.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm glad to see Black Manta back and I'm really excited for Aquaman and Aqualad finally meeting one another. I actually don't mind the tats/shirtless look for the time being. I hope he gets his trident back as well.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The return of Black Manta and Aqualad are certainly great ways to mark the latest milestone for the title .

Look, I could stand the long hair and beard, but the shirtless tattoo look is taking it too far. Comic Arthur isn't even Hawaiian, so why would he have the tattoos? Momoa doesn't even look like that in the movies anymore. It just doesn't work.

I also find it kind of funny that DeConnick talked about toning down Aquaman's masculinity when he can't even keep a shirt on apparently .
    LOL I know right? I was just thinking about how overly macho he looks suddenly. Momoa doesnt even look like that in the films, he looks more like the classic Aquaman.

Anyway, I'm glad there's Black Manta and a hint of Amnesty Bay.

Once again agreed, this design of Arthur doesn't work. To capitalize on the movie besides being a little late, is surely not through this image.
    As for the return of Aqualad it is a starting point, to many fixes are needed in my opinion, but this is a way forward. However many more issues need to be solved. First and foremost what is Arthur's role? he's the king, the throne of Atlantis is his birthright. We also need back, characters like Tula, Murk etc. Mera needs to have a more prominent role not just a couple of panels, possibly fighting side by side with Arthur.
    As said before having Aqualad and BM is just a starting point, unfortunately Aquaman needs to solve many issues which especially Abnett's run have messed up.
    We need a traditional outlook of the book with selected introductions to keep it always innovative and moving forward. We've got a start its seems... lets wait and see

I wouldn't mind the tattoos if they had some type of Atlantean origin. It just seems weird that these tats for this culture he knows nothing about and was only around for a bit need to become so important to his mythos.

I'm excited to see how Arthur reacts to Jackson when he finds out his connection to Manta. Will KSD play up some tension between the two? Will it be similar to the Brightest Day meeting? Will Manta feel some jealousy? I mean, we saw how he reacted to Jackson in TT but with Arthur stepping in will that spark some type of reaction? Lord knows he hates him.

I wonder if this is also her way of bringing Arthur and Mera back together. Jackson's power is Xebellian so Arthur might definitely seek Mera out to help train him.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I keep imagining Arthur at a tattoo parlor getting these tats at 2pm on a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I keep imagining Arthur at a tattoo parlor getting these tats at 2pm on a Tuesday.
    With Garth and Vulko drunkily cheering him on!

Astonishing Member

LOL I know right? I was just thinking about how overly macho he looks suddenly. Momoa doesnt even look like that in the films, he looks more like the classic Aquaman.
    Editorial wants to get away from classic/Johns inspired Aquaman since Divergence. They just used the movie as an excuse.

I wouldn't mind the tattoos if they had some type of Atlantean origin. It just seems weird that these tats for this culture he knows nothing about and was only around for a bit need to become so important to his mythos.

I'm excited to see how Arthur reacts to Jackson when he finds out his connection to Manta. Will KSD play up some tension between the two? Will it be similar to the Brightest Day meeting? Will Manta feel some jealousy? I mean, we saw how he reacted to Jackson in TT but with Arthur stepping in will that spark some type of reaction? Lord knows he hates him.

I wonder if this is also her way of bringing Arthur and Mera back together. Jackson's power is Xebellian so Arthur might definitely seek Mera out to help train him.
    Its a start, KSD has a long way to fix things from Abnett's run. First and Foremost Aquaman comic must evolve around the lead character of Arthur and co lead Mera. The rest orbits around the two main characters. The comic suffers terribly when it revolves only around one of the main characters alone. We can see this from declining sales in the last months in which Mera hardly appears. Viceversa the mini series of Mera sank because it revolved around her character alone.

Another issue that needs to be readdressed is Arthur role as King, its central part of the story, despite all my love for Mera, her being the ruler of Atlantis is ridiculous, a xebellian ruler of Atlantis must make the dead Atlantean kings turn in their tombs. Besides it goes against Mera's history and character, she always hated Atlantis and barely could suffer them, which she did reluctantly for Arthur's sake. As for Mera herself, they need to make her again the bad tempered badass we know.

At least The path is being set, hope they can find solutions to restore aquaman, will be interesting what course they take to do it, they also need credible and immediate ones, as Aquaman has very low sales, it JUST can't keep losing readers. Bringing Aqualad back is a step in the right direction.... wont solve all the problems .. but a start...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    His Injustce 2 design had some tattoos as well, but they were not all over his body so it wasn't that distracting. I liked the movie but don't care much for the Momoa look, nor would DC trying to capitalize on it bring in any new readers, so I never understood the whole "synergy" thing.

Anyway, I'm glad there's Black Manta and a hint of Amnesty Bay.
    Yeah, it just kind of baffles me that we're stuck with this design in the comics when people probably think of Momoa in the classic look more now.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, it just kind of baffles me that we're stuck with this design in the comics when people probably think of Momoa in the classic look more now.
    It's just the usual shake-up when a movie comes out. Things will normalize again eventually. I don't like the tattoos. They make no sense. Still better than a hook hand.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the return of Manta.