Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    how is Identity Crisis an actual Crisis on par with the other ones?! Just because it has Crisis in its name?
    While not narratively crisis like, it was certainly a crisis that changed DC (imo for the worse) as much as any other. It ushered in the ultra grimdark theme change for DC, even moreso than the 90s ever did.

I think people are too hung up on "It has to involve multiversal stuff!" because that typecasts DC's most major events into one very, very narrow style of storytelling. Identity Crisis is certainly included in DC's own official list and if they don't decide what counts, who does? Just because the first Crisis was like that doesn't mean the others have to be. It's like saying every Superman story has to be like AC #1.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-08-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    5. Final Crisis - Darkseid dies, there's Monitors, and Barry Allen comes back. But nothing about the structure of the multiverse really changed, did it?
    All of the Monitors died except for Nix Uotan, who became a human. I think their world, which somehow surrounded the Multiverse (comics!) also died away, which I think counts as a structural change.

If I had to guess:

1. Crisis On Infinite Earths - This one's easy.

2. Zero Hour - It's technically a Crisis and it makes sense to me that Bendis would count it, considering we have seven to consider and all.

3. Infinite Crisis - Another easy one.

4. Final Crisis - Same logic as Zero Hour.

5. Flashpoint - Biggest change to the DCU since COIE. Not a Crisis in name but might as well be.

6. Convergence - Lots of multiverse stuff. Post-Crisis stuff starts seeping into the new52 with Superman and Titans and probably other stuff I don't read.

7. Metal - It's the most typical Crisis style event since Infinite Crisis. I think it still might be too early for me to identify changes that might of rippled out as a result.

Astonishing Member

I think the shoe ins are the ones named Crisis: COIE, Zero Hour (Crisis in Time), Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Heroes in Crisis. All events, all given the name Crisis very intentionally and explicitly after COIE (there were lots of stories called "Crisis" before COIE that don't really follow DC's view of the word).

Then there's a little room for whichever one you want. I'd definitely never count Convergence because it was narratively defunct and executed with the lowest of standards (some of the tie ins were fine, Convergence itself was not). A crisis is important to DC, as a company, as much as it is to the universe it writes. Convergence is not important.

I'd say Bendis probably counts Metal. Didio wanted to call it DARK CRISIS, and that might as well be what it was. Maybe Bendis isn't counting HiC because it hasn't finished yet. If that is the case then Flashpoint probably gets the nod even though it's almost as bad as Convergence, but at least it's (unfortunately) very important.

BANNED

Pretty much every JSA / JLA crossover that took place before COIE had the word "crisis" in the titles. Maybe it's a JSA reference and this could all be touched upon in a JSA book? They delt with a lot of crises. Every year no less!

BANNED

Also I just wanna mention that there are several crises that happen to be about Johnny Thunder. So I think all the crises going forward should involve Johnny Thunder

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
    2. Zero Hour: Crisis in Time
    3. Infinite Crisis
    4. Final Crisis
    5. Flashpoint
    6. Convergence
    7. Dark Nights: Metal

Why isn’t 52 in that list?

BANNED

52 wasn't a crisis but was a post flashpoint universe so flashpoint is the 'event' that counts as a 'crisis'.

I mentioned this in the Young Justice topic, but everyone keeps forgetting Superman Reborn. Dad Superman merged with New 52 Superman to become prime Superman. This also affected all DC continuity, as it merged both the Pre-Flashpoint and Post-Flashpoint continuities.

To me, a Crisis is something which relates to a change in continuity, so in my eyes:

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths -- Earths merge
    2. Zero Hour -- Timeline is recreated
    3. Infinite Crisis -- Multiple earths restored
    4. Final Crisis -- Summarizing anything Morrison does in a single sentence is impossible
    5. Flashpoint -- Universe is rebooted to New 52
    6. Doomsday Clock(?) -- Doc Manhattan steals time
    7. Superman Reborn -- Dad Superman and T-Shirt Superman combine, merging the pre-FP universe with New 52 for a hybrid

Since Doomsday Clock is still ongoing, I have no idea where it fits in the grand scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I got that, but hasn't that changed with Identity Crisis and Heroes in Crisis? My point was that just because it was associated with the multiverse doesn't mean it can't change.
    Haven't read Heroes in Crisis yet (waiting for the TP) but I'd add/keep Identity Crisis to the list; but more as a prelude to the Infinity Crisis than on its own merits.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    52 wasn't a crisis but was a post flashpoint universe so flashpoint is the 'event' that counts as a 'crisis'.
    I'm pretty sure they mean 52 the series that took place after Infinite Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Why isn’t 52 in that list?
    52 was just a maxi-series that filled in One Year Later.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

But how was it for the people of Gemworld? I mean, we are talking about their perspective, an extradimensional planet were magic rules.
    Which crisis could had affected them? I doubt than Identity Crisis could had affected their reality, at difference of Zero Hour, for example.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I think Infinite Crisis and the 52 maxi-series have to be seen as two parts of the same event. Infinite Crisis created a multiverse of fifty-two identical universes, and the actions of Mr. Mind in 52 altered the multiverse into fifty-two distinct universes.