Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cheetah Appreciation 2019

It's a new year, and time for a new appreciation thread dedicated to Wonder Woman's most iconic foe, The Cheetah!

This thread encompasses all individuals who have taken on the codename: Priscilla Rich, Deborah Domaine, Barbara Ann Minerva, and Sebastian Ballesteros! Which is your favorite? What's your favorite Cheetah story? What do you hope DC will do with Cheetah in the future?

And a treat for us Cheetah fans: gorgeous art of the three female Cheetahs by artist John Keaveney! This is some of the best art of Cheetah I've ever seen in her 75+ year history.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And because the attachment limit is 3, there's a bonus Cheetah art from John Keaveney: the Justice version of Priscilla Rich!

I would love for Cheetah to have her own movie. Is there any strong storyline for her?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

My first Cheetah was Barbara Minerva's debut in George Perez Wonder Woman

ICO001160._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

As Cheetah she looks young and sexy, but Barbara, even though her face looks young she gave the impression of an older woman by the way she dress and her walking cane.

My own first experience with Cheetah would be Priscilla Rich in the Superfriends cartoon from back in the day

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    And because the attachment limit is 3, there's a bonus Cheetah art from John Keaveney: the Justice version of Priscilla Rich!

Priscilla will always be my favorite Cheetah. The Justice version is my favorite rendition of her.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Spectacular Member

My first exposure to the character was the Debbie Domaine version the JLA/JSA crossover in JLA #195. She was also the version that was used in all the merchandise I had growing up like coloring and story books that were part of the Super Powers line.

C220F549-5E7F-4A23-A3F1-3AE5674D3967.jpg

I was sorry she wasn’t used more before she was ultimately wiped out in “Crisis On Infinite Earths.”

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

That is such a gorgeous art.
    I first saw Priscilla Rich in an Alex Ross cover. I forgot what it's for. Is it Justice?

Z Evil.jpg

Yes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I have a hard time deciding who is my favorite between Barbara and Priscilla, particularly when I'm comparing the Rebirth and Alex Ross versions respectively.

Cheetah1.jpg

Cheetah2.jpg

Deborah is by far my least favorite of the main three (Sebastian obviously sucks the most lol), but she's in all the great Garcia Lopez art so we still end up seeing her everywhere

Cheetah3.jpg

Overall, while Cheetah may not be my favorite of the "Dark Trinity" she is definitely the one who I'm most interested in since she has so much untapped potential.
    Can't wait for the movie!

I kind of like all of the different Cheetah incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I kind of like all of the different Cheetah incarnations.
    So do I.

Marston's original in Priscilla was unique at the time and I love H.G. Peters' character design.

The first incarnation of Cheetah I ever came across is the one from Challenge of the Superfriends and I still occasionally hear Marlene Aragon's voice in my head when I read stories involving Cheetah.

I was aware of Debbie Domaine, in general as the Bronze Age Cheetah, through some of the licensing at the time and I know that sometime later in the 90s I read her origin story in those Wonder Woman issues with Kobra. My fondest thought and accolade for Deborah as a gay youngster is that her bodysuit had connected high-heel boots, instead of as two separate pieces.

Barbara Minerva is imprinted on me as "my" Cheetah, just because Perez gave her such a powerful and horrific origin. One of my favorite things about Barbara Minerva is that I almost like her more and think she's more dangerous than the Cheetah - unfortunately her intelligence and haughty ways are always squandered IMHO.

The Justice League animated series Cheetah is kind of a non-entity, given she had barely any development or fixation on ruining Diana. Which is okay, since it gave the writers a chance to have some fun with Giganta eventually.

The Justice League animated movies Cheetah is okay. A bit one-note, if you ask me, but I like a Cheetah who can throw down with Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Flash alike.

The version in Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series was kind of fun in all her Silver and Bronze-Age-y glory in the episode Triumvirate of Terror. It was nice to see Cheetah stand side-by-side with her equals, Lex Luthor and Joker.

As a Doctor Poison mentioned, Alex Ross's version is a great reimagining of Priscilla Rich.

Sebastian Ballesteros was a good supporting character for Barbara to set her sights upon. I like when Wonder Woman's enemies also eventually develop partnerships or enmities amongst themselves.

I like where Simone and McDuffie were going with Cheetah in their Wonder Woman and Justice League runs respectively, as a leader of the Society, but both runs were cut short before she could get a grand story.

I disliked her Forever Evil one-shot with the aunt who ran a commune, etc. because it was just way too on-the-nose of an origin that mirrored Diana's. I'm glad that got jettisoned quickly.

She was okay in the DCnU, but I'd have kept her origin outside of being a member of ARGUS. It was too connect-y to Wonder Wonder at the time, when I think the Perez origin stands a bit outside other Wonder concepts and broadens Wonder Woman concepts and her world.

I appreciate Rucka's work with Barbara in both his runs, but I can't say Barbara as the maligned former friend/redeemed future ally is my favorite. I get and enjoyed her character arc and the emotions behind it, but we'll have to see where it gets taken. I like the Cheetah as a strong force for evil in the DCU and I can't shake that she hasn't had enough stories about that yet, for her potential redemption (or fake redemption to get close to Diana) to be even more of an powerful character arc and universe story arc for the DCU. Yeah, I believe in Barbara that much.

I know she's appeared in some other animated series and the Super Hero Girls cartoons, but I haven't watched enough of them to have an opinion.

What I know I do like is when both the Barbara and Cheetah personalities are represented and she's not just portrayed as a wifcat.

(Something I learned in 2018 is that "wer" in Old English means man, as in werewolf or man wolf. So you wouldn't call Barbara a werecat "man cat" or werewoman "man woman." In Old English you'd use "wif" or "wyf" to mean woman, so lady werewolves would be wifwolves and Barbara a wyfcat. Apparently, the word "woman" came about when wer became man and began to mean an "adult human being" a long time ago and was paired with wyf as wyfman to eventually become woman and mean an "adult female human being.")

I'm probably in the minority here among Cheetah fans, but I vastly prefer a Cheetah whose emphasis is on her brain and less on her beastial nature or her physical prowess.

I don't want a Cheetah who is a one-woman League Buster all by herself. Those types of villains rarely get used for a good reason.

I want a Cheetah who could seriously lead the Legion of Doom by her wits. And cheating. Lots of cheating.

I do think some of her act in the DC SUPERHERO GIRLS (2015 - 2018) cartoon is a step in the right direction:

EDIT: I know DCSHG is being rebooted for 2019 on Cartoon Network, and they're really changing up the styles for all the characters. Anyone seen (and can post) what Cheetah's redesign for the new show will look like this year?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 01-13-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Mighty Member

I have always liked this rendition of the Cheetah costume...or more specifically Pricilla Rich's Cheetah. It's a great modernization of the Golden Age costume, yet has its own level of creepiness to it.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    So do I.

Marston's original in Priscilla was unique at the time and I love H.G. Peters' character design.

The first incarnation of Cheetah I ever came across is the one from Challenge of the Superfriends and I still occasionally hear Marlene Aragon's voice in my head when I read stories involving Cheetah.

I was aware of Debbie Domaine, in general as the Bronze Age Cheetah, through some of the licensing at the time and I know that sometime later in the 90s I read her origin story in those Wonder Woman issues with Kobra. My fondest thought and accolade for Deborah as a gay youngster is that her bodysuit had connected high-heel boots, instead of as two separate pieces.

Barbara Minerva is imprinted on me as "my" Cheetah, just because Perez gave her such a powerful and horrific origin. One of my favorite things about Barbara Minerva is that I almost like her more and think she's more dangerous than the Cheetah - unfortunately her intelligence and haughty ways are always squandered IMHO.

The Justice League animated series Cheetah is kind of a non-entity, given she had barely any development or fixation on ruining Diana. Which is okay, since it gave the writers a chance to have some fun with Giganta eventually.

The Justice League animated movies Cheetah is okay. A bit one-note, if you ask me, but I like a Cheetah who can throw down with Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Flash alike.

The version in Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series was kind of fun in all her Silver and Bronze-Age-y glory in the episode Triumvirate of Terror. It was nice to see Cheetah stand side-by-side with her equals, Lex Luthor and Joker.

As a Doctor Poison mentioned, Alex Ross's version is a great reimagining of Priscilla Rich.

Sebastian Ballesteros was a good supporting character for Barbara to set her sights upon. I like when Wonder Woman's enemies also eventually develop partnerships or enmities amongst themselves.

I like where Simone and McDuffie were going with Cheetah in their Wonder Woman and Justice League runs respectively, as a leader of the Society, but both runs were cut short before she could get a grand story.

I disliked her Forever Evil one-shot with the aunt who ran a commune, etc. because it was just way too on-the-nose of an origin that mirrored Diana's. I'm glad that got jettisoned quickly.

She was okay in the DCnU, but I'd have kept her origin outside of being a member of ARGUS. It was too connect-y to Wonder Wonder at the time, when I think the Perez origin stands a bit outside other Wonder concepts and broadens Wonder Woman concepts and her world.

I appreciate Rucka's work with Barbara in both his runs, but I can't say Barbara as the maligned former friend/redeemed future ally is my favorite. I get and enjoyed her character arc and the emotions behind it, but we'll have to see where it gets taken. I like the Cheetah as a strong force for evil in the DCU and I can't shake that she hasn't had enough stories about that yet, for her potential redemption (or fake redemption to get close to Diana) to be even more of an powerful character arc and universe story arc for the DCU. Yeah, I believe in Barbara that much.

I know she's appeared in some other animated series and the Super Hero Girls cartoons, but I haven't watched enough of them to have an opinion.

What I know I do like is when both the Barbara and Cheetah personalities are represented and she's not just portrayed as a wifcat.

(Something I learned in 2018 is that "wer" in Old English means man, as in werewolf or man wolf. So you wouldn't call Barbara a werecat "man cat" or werewoman "man woman." In Old English you'd use "wif" or "wyf" to mean woman, so lady werewolves would be wifwolves and Barbara a wyfcat. Apparently, the word "woman" came about when wer became man and began to mean an "adult human being" a long time ago and was paired with wyf as wyfman to eventually become woman and mean an "adult female human being.")
    I love how Mcduffie was using Cheetah. I hope WW84 gives Cheetah her respective feats from the comics.

I think I spotted a pre-transformation Cheetah in a "Get to Know: Wonder Woman" video for the upcoming DC Super Hero Girls reboot:

At 0.52 you can see a blonde girl in a ponytail and fur coat giving Diana the stink eye. If you squint you can see the name on her test is "Barb," as in Barbara Minerva.