Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman 77 review

What do you guys think? I find it interesting that Diana was ready to kill Cheetah. I also find it interesting Steve is jealous

After reading this issue I just realized why Modern Steve Trevor sucks (with exception to the movie). Its because the Golden Age Steve Trevor actually went on adventures with Wonder Woman and wasn't treated as a house cat.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    After reading this issue I just realized why Modern Steve Trevor sucks (with exception to the movie). Its because the Golden Age Steve Trevor actually went on adventures with Wonder Woman and wasn't treated as a house cat.
    It's so weird that they don't have him just be her sidekick or something like that. It's weird seeing him pop up every now and then like he's a burden to Diana or upset about Diana being Wonder Woman.

I think for the most part it’s because Dc doesn’t know what to do with him. I mean Diana has become more powerful. How can Steve help her in situations like the cheetah? This is why I do think him learning Amazonian training and maybe learning and collecting some magic items is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I think for the most part it’s because Dc doesn’t know what to do with him. I mean Diana has become more powerful. How can Steve help her in situations like the cheetah? This is why I do think him learning Amazonian training and maybe learning and collecting some magic items is a good idea
    In the previous issue he was actually shown fighting a bunch of lycanthropes. I think in this current scenario he could be very useful and I'm going to be disappointed if its someone else that helps bail WW out.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Wonder Woman's new, Virginia city has grocery shopping. It's not just a big, fat beach.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I enjoyed this issue quite a bit. Wilson has really upped her ante beginning last issue. Cheetah seemed quite cunning, ferocious, and deadly. I don't even think she needs the God-killer sword but I guess with all of the additional weapons Diana is toting these days, it makes sense. I loved how Cheetah was drawn with dark gray/black lips. They made her look much more menacing.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Cheetah was cool. DC is finally on the right track with her after decades of neglect. Steve though...He's really just nuisance at this point.

Wilson is really starting to come into her own, and she is leaning heavily into subtext or stuff hinted here with showing some of the consequences of Aphrodite's death.

But the art situation is still not as good as it could be. Merino is a fine artist, but he has trouble catching or expressing Wilson's emotional cues, and his panels do not give much sense of motion or fluidity. Everything looks heavy. Which is definitely not something you want when Diana and Cheetah fight each other.

I also think that Aphrodite's funeral was skipped over too quickly. It would have been an excellent spot to dig into how the Amazons view her, and see more of them. I'm not sure if it's editorial demands or Wilson trying to finish her story, or something else, or both.

ETA: As for Steve, I've posted my thoughts often enough. It was a mistake by Rucka to make him a badass soldier in the first place. Wonder Woman doesn't need badass soldiers, and that choice has also blocked any other possible uses and developments for the characters.
    Last edited by kjn; 08-30-2019 at 12:00 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Wilson is really starting to come into her own, and she is leaning heavily into subtext or stuff hinted here with showing some of the consequences of Aphrodite's death.

But the art situation is still not as good as it could be. Merino is a fine artist, but he has trouble catching or expressing Wilson's emotional cues, and his panels do not give much sense of motion or fluidity. Everything looks heavy. Which is definitely not something you want when Diana and Cheetah fight each other.

I also think that Aphrodite's funeral was skipped over too quickly. It would have been an excellent spot to dig into how the Amazons view her, and see more of them. I'm not sure if it's editorial demands or Wilson trying to finish her story, or something else, or both.

ETA: As for Steve, I've posted my thoughts often enough. It was a mistake by Rucka to make him a badass soldier in the first place. Wonder Woman doesn't need badass soldiers, and that choice has also blocked any other possible uses and developments for the characters.
    Why shouldn’t Steve be a badass soldier? Lois Lane is a badass reporter? Hell even Selina does a lot of similar things to Bruce. They just work in a similar field.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Why shouldn’t Steve be a badass soldier? Lois Lane is a badass reporter? Hell even Selina does a lot of similar things to Bruce. They just work in a similar field.
    Because one quality that makes for good lasting sidekicks is challenging the hero in some way, by being better at them in one specific area (Lois), or morally (like Catwoman did with her best writers). Soldier Steve can't be better than Diana in any area, and he is much more likely to be morally challenged by her.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Because one quality that makes for good lasting sidekicks is challenging the hero in some way, by being better at them in one specific area (Lois), or morally (like Catwoman did with her best writers). Soldier Steve can't be better than Diana in any area, and he is much more likely to be morally challenged by her.
    Lois and Selina are not sidekicks, and Steve shouldn't be one either. Also, in the case you present, Steve should be the one challenging Diana morally, and making her see things in a different way. But a lot of fans don't want her wrong or challenged - at least not by a man. I do agree that part of the appeal of the original Amazons was that they actually had found a better way, and am not fan of making them morally inferior. Or them wanting to rule men, though, because that's morally inferior, IMO.

Steve should absolutely be a badass solider and/or a badass spy. He should not be made weaker or lesser. Other love interests have been pumped up over the years and usually gained more fans for it, and he should not be diminished or made more passive. It would just make him less, and less important to the story, and that's a bad move. Especially now, with the movie Steve popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Lois and Selina are not sidekicks, and Steve shouldn't be one either. Also, in the case you present, Steve should be the one challenging Diana morally, and making her see things in a different way. But a lot of fans don't want her wrong or challenged - at least not by a man. I do agree that part of the appeal of the original Amazons was that they actually had found a better way, and am not fan of making them morally inferior. Or them wanting to rule men, though, because that's morally inferior, IMO.

Steve should absolutely be a badass solider and/or a badass spy. He should not be made weaker or lesser. Other love interests have been pumped up over the years and usually gained more fans for it, and he should not be diminished or made more passive. It would just make him less, and less important to the story, and that's a bad move. Especially now, with the movie Steve popularity.
    I also don't see the need for the love interest to fit into a cookie cutter mold of 'must challenge the hero' in some way.

However, if anyone feels that's an absolute necessity, then he challenges her culturally. He helps her to adapt to the outside world.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

One of the stronger single issues we've had this run. It's a shame that Wilson is getting better again just as she's wrapping up, but I still hope this arc finishes strongly.
    Cheetah's villainy and scariness is escalating in a way that feels natural, which is a good indicator of how strong of a foundation Rucka left her with. And I like that it's mostly focused on her and Diana with no sidekicks stealing Diana's spotlight.
    T
    The only somewhat of a downside is Steve, and at least that may have something to do with Aphrodite's death.

Steve was a badass solider long before Rucka started writing him.
    His problem here is that he's being a mopey sad sack, but that has nothing to do with his job.

Steve, Lois and Catwoman aren't sidekicks though. For Diana's sidekicks, Etta, Donna or Cassie fit the role better and the main problem with them is lack of use, not being better at something than Diana or challenging her morally.

I don't think fans want Diana or the Amazons to be challenged morally, sometimes with very good reason. It's not as if Steve will be allowed to be better than her at anything in this book regardless of occupation. She kind of covers a lot of bases when all her skills are remembered.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Steve, Lois and Catwoman aren't sidekicks though. For Diana's sidekicks, Etta, Donna or Cassie fit the role better and the main problem with them is lack of use, not being better at something than Diana or challenging her morally.
    Steve is the SIDE-KICK....
    Cassie and Donna have outgrown this role already in Flashpoint and are her successors, not Side-Kicks anymore.