Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default How to bring back Harper Row

Harper’s certainly has had a very complicated relationship with fans, and while Snyder and Tynion have moved on to write other things for DC, I'm still hold out hope that she’ll get a second chance to impress readers and carve out a niche for herself. Personally, she’s my favourite character, but even I recognize that the Batman and Robin Eternal series did no favours for developing her for the long term.

In a previous thread I mentioned that with the current atmosphere of editorial and marketing that it’s near impossible to assert a new character without a dedicated, longterm writer and more importantly, a longterm plan.

I think that if DC were to go ahead and give her a second kick at the can, that the writer would have to follow these guidelines:

-Stick to a miniseries, either five or six issues long.
    -Do not strike a character down to make Harper look better. Every character has to start somewhere, readers shouldn’t expect Harper to outperform members of the bat family who have been fighting crime for years.
    -Accentuate and focus on what makes her unique.
    -Scale the villains appropriately. I would’t expect Harper to go toe-to-toe with the Joker in issue one, she’s rusty (and even in her prime she still lacked experience). Heck, even Firefly might be too much from the get go.

What are your thought? How would you bring her back into the fold?

Don't.

10char

If someone has a really really great idea, sure bring her back. But I personally don't care for her and other members of the Bat-family need fixing before adding even more characters into the mix.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

I felt she was an unnecessary addition to the Bat family. She didn't really bring anything new and the Bat family was already overcrowded with so many characters (Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian, Spoiler, Cassandra, Batwing and Azreal).

If someone were to bring her back locate her far away from Gotham and have little or no contact with Batman and Co.

EDIT: Oops, forgot Batgirl.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When Harper first created, Snyder, wanted her to be the civilian point of view of Gotham. How civilian view Batman, how the villains affect them, and why they stay in Gotham. That's what they should've been doing. Make her part of the regular cast that the heroes contact from time to time, or make a special back up issue from her point of view.

She doesn't have to be the help in a case they're working on. There are times where the heroes of Gotham hang out with people in real life, and that should be where she appears. Bring back that balance between civilian and hero life. They don't always have to be in costume.

I always thought it would be fun if she had some kind of mech suit. She's an engineer, so I'd rather have her do something related to that than be another street level martial artist, because we don't need anymore of those in Gotham. To keep her different from Batwing, I'd make her suit more mechanical and clunky. Maybe like DVa from Overwatch, but not as high tech.

Alternatively, I would make her a part of the Bat Team in a background capacity, like Oracle. But instead of computers, she could be an inventor, like Q, coming up with gadgets and doing repairs for heroes.

I also do think the Batfam is overcrowded as it is, though, so either bring her back in another city, or just have her there are a side character with unusual skills, like a civilian friend who sometimes helps out, as Restingvoice said. I think something that the Bat books can definitely use is more of the civilian perspective.

Dr. Thompkins's death provides a perfect opportunity for this. Someone has to keep the clinic running, and that's indeed where Harper worked.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

If Duke gets another series i wouldn't mind if she popped up there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When Harper first created, Snyder, wanted her to be the civilian point of view of Gotham. How civilian view Batman, how the villains affect them, and why they stay in Gotham. That's what they should've been doing. Make her part of the regular cast that the heroes contact from time to time, or make a special back up issue from her point of view.

She doesn't have to be the help in a case they're working on. There are times where the heroes of Gotham hang out with people in real life, and that should be where she appears. Bring back that balance between civilian and hero life. They don't always have to be in costume.
    Yeah, the character as she originally appeared had a lot of potential. It all dissolved like a rainy-day sandcastle the moment she put on a costume.

Really, I'm just coming around to the idea that Tynion being in charge of a character is a kiss of death.

Honestly, I'd keep her out of the costume. The Bat-cave is already full to overflowing and not all the heroes who're active are even appearing in books right now. Last thing we need is another cape in the mix. Odds are she wouldn't get used much more as Bluebird than she does now.

However, using Harper as a civilian contractor would be cool. I dislike the notion that Alfred handles all the upkeep in the Cave, and once upon a time Bruce did have a mechanic on staff (I forget his name....he died a while back). So why not use Harper for that? She can handle the computers, make repairs to the Batmobile, and serve as a supporting character. Harper has a great dynamic with Cass and Steph and I'd rather see her used to explore the "civilian" aspects of Gotham than putting her in a costume when we already have a dozen or more Bats swinging around the city.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I’ve always thought Harper should be aligned with Dinah Lance. The Black Canary and Bluebird sounds like such a natural. That would also get Harper out from under the shadow of the overcrowded Bat family.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Dr. Thompkins's death provides a perfect opportunity for this. Someone has to keep the clinic running, and that's indeed where Harper worked.
    That's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Yeah, the character as she originally appeared had a lot of potential. It all dissolved like a rainy-day sandcastle the moment she put on a costume.

Really, I'm just coming around to the idea that Tynion being in charge of a character is a kiss of death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly, I'd keep her out of the costume. The Bat-cave is already full to overflowing and not all the heroes who're active are even appearing in books right now. Last thing we need is another cape in the mix. Odds are she wouldn't get used much more as Bluebird than she does now.

However, using Harper as a civilian contractor would be cool. I dislike the notion that Alfred handles all the upkeep in the Cave, and once upon a time Bruce did have a mechanic on staff (I forget his name....he died a while back). So why not use Harper for that? She can handle the computers, make repairs to the Batmobile, and serve as a supporting character. Harper has a great dynamic with Cass and Steph and I'd rather see her used to explore the "civilian" aspects of Gotham than putting her in a costume when we already have a dozen or more Bats swinging around the city.

Okay, so maybe Bluebird is her alias but she's non-costumed like Alfred. I have no problem with that.

I also like that her job at the clinic is independent of Wayne industries.

I think the mechanics name was Harold or something like that. I remember seeing him in one of the Batman books i picked up after the Earthquake struck Gotham. It would be cool to see another person fill this role. I never liked Alfred being the do it all person. Medic, mechanic, cook, etc...
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I think the mechanics name was Harold or something like that. I remember seeing him in one of the Batman books i picked up after the Earthquake struck Gotham. It would be cool to see another person fill this role. I never liked Alfred being the do it all person. Medic, mechanic, cook, etc...
    Seriously! He already has to clean the entire mansion by himself, he doesn't have time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Okay, so maybe Bluebird is her alias but she's non-costumed like Alfred. I have no problem with that.

I also like that her job at the clinic is independent of Wayne industries.
    I always figured that once she's got her degree she'd work for Foxtech given her background and dislike for Wayne Industries (though that feeling might change with her scholarship). I can't see her working in the medical field permanently, especially with her background. Maybe seeing her volunteer for the clinic will propel Cullen into the medical field.