Question best of the recent Joker-centered stories?

2019-2020 have had quite a few stories with the Joker as a central character / presence.

- Batman White Knight + Curse of the White Knight
    - Joker: Year of the Villain
    - Prelude to the Wedding: Harley Quinn vs. The Joker
    - Joker Killer Smile + The Smile Killer
    - Joker War
    - Three Jokers

Any others I've forgotten?
    What in your opinions is the best one? why?
    Do you think any of this are destined to become Joker classics?

Batman White Knight
    Joker War

White Knight is a good elseworld. I think Joker War will be a classic because of the new characters from it.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd say Harleen was the only appearance from him recently where the character has really worked like used to.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Batman Damned
    Harley Quinn Joker Criminal Sanity

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The Joker: Year of the Villain, by John Carpenter, Anthony Burch and Phillip Tan is really good, really not getting enough attention. Best Joker I've read like since Dini's Slayride or a Morrison story (or King's DC Nation short Joker story).

Batman News.com: "It’s certainly effective – and has an oddly wholesome message hidden underneath the brutality, offering a sort of counterpoint to the movie Joker."

Geekdad.com: "I did find this one of the more effective Joker stories in recent memories thanks to a neat trick – showing us how terrifying and unpredictable Joker is through the eyes of someone much saner than him . . . This could have been a very depressing story – and maybe would have been if the Joker was portrayed as deadly as he usually is – but there’s a surprisingly more optimistic ending than is normal for these one-shots. "
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-13-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Batman Damned
    Harley Quinn Joker Criminal Sanity
    I know Batman Damned is a sequel to the Joker GN, but I don't see that much of a Joker @presence@ in the mini series.. YMMV, of course

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    The Joker: Year of the Villain, by John Carpenter, Anthony Burch and Phillip Tan is really good, really not getting enough attention. Best Joker I've read like since Dini's Slayride or a Morrison story (or King's DC Nation short Joker story).

Batman News.com: "It’s certainly effective – and has an oddly wholesome message hidden underneath the brutality, offering a sort of counterpoint to the movie Joker."

Geekdad.com: "I did find this one of the more effective Joker stories in recent memories thanks to a neat trick – showing us how terrifying and unpredictable Joker is through the eyes of someone much saner than him . . . This could have been a very depressing story – and maybe would have been if the Joker was portrayed as deadly as he usually is – but there’s a surprisingly more optimistic ending than is normal for these one-shots. "
    I haven't read that so I might have to check it out.

For my money, some of the best Batman stories in years have been in Batman: Gotham Nights and that includes the use of the Joker there. Mark Russell's Joker story, "Dragnet" in issue issue #4. Not only is it a great use of Bruce Wayne as an aide to an investigation by Jim Gordon but Joker's turn as a "fixer" for the underworld a fun role for him.

And while I wouldn't necessarily want the characterization of Batman in Russell's "Balyushka!"(B:GN #6) to necessarily be the standard the Joker's plan and the mayhem he unleashed on Gotham through viral videos was fantastic.

The Joker as a mass murderer has zero interest to me, but as an unpredictable criminal with colorful plots yet deadly plots? Sign me up.