Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I know some people think it's silly to be hung up on continuity. Regardless, I'm one of those who is hung up!

From what I can tell, the Superman Reborn arc was a mini Crisis and brought back most of pre-Flashpoint and erased most of New 52. Bart was lost somewhere and found his way back home.

From there? My guess is he searched out for one of his best friends, Tim. Bart touched Tim and caused the same thing to happen to Tim that happened with those Wally touched. Tim began getting memories back of Connor & co. That's why Tim said "not without Connor", because Bart caused him to remember everything.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Disappointed that Bendis kept the terrible Zeus's granddaughter origin for Cassie.
    You know, just because she's Zeus's granddaughter doesn't mean she's Lennox's daughter. Lennox was one of Azzarello's latter-day Children of Zeus. Azzarello's run is now almost entirely a set of fake memories that Diana had for a while, and I don't think we've seen any of those kids of Zeus since Rebirth started. So Cassie might get a new origin out of this.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    You know, just because she's Zeus's granddaughter doesn't mean she's Lennox's daughter. Lennox was one of Azzarello's latter-day Children of Zeus. Azzarello's run is now almost entirely a set of fake memories that Diana had for a while, and I don't think we've seen any of those kids of Zeus since Rebirth started. So Cassie might get a new origin out of this.
    You can scrap the almost.

Thanks to Rucka's garbage Rebirth run, nothing of the New 52 can have happened.

Then again, it allows me to see it as the best Elseworld Wonder Woman has ever got, so I guess there is that.

But if Cassie's origins is in flux, I would actually like to know if her dad's the child of Zeus or her mother. Probably the former, but I guess it would work better for a WW-affiliated character to be tied to Zeus through her mother.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySephiroth View Post
    I know some people think it's silly to be hung up on continuity. Regardless, I'm one of those who is hung up!
    I think continuity - or, at least, a good-faith effort at continuity (since you can't get anything perfect in art) - is a very valuable aspect of world-building, writing stories in a shared universe, good characterization (since good characterization is built on the characters' experiences, and if you keep changing and contradicting their experiences you never get to know why they are who they are, and why their relationships are important to them), and rewarding thoughtful and attentive readers. When writers pay attention to continuity, and stop to think how elements they are adding contribute to the overall setting their stories are set in, I think we get more thoughtful stories.

I'd say "But that's just me." However, I know it's not just me. I also know that there are other readers who don't think it's important, and they are certainly entitled.

I enjoyed this issue more than I thought I would. It was great to see a Cassie and a Bart that I feel I might enjoy reading about. The New 52 versions just made me sad.

Yes, it had continuity issues, but I think it knew it had continuity issues, and the writer is thinking about them. For example, its version of Gemworld is different than some of the ones we've seen before - but it starts out by acknowledging that Gemworld has been affected by the Crises we've seen in DC comics just like Earth has, which makes sense to me. (Gemworld and DC Earth are causally linked - people have traveled back and forth between them, affecting events in both worlds. If you change history on DC Earth, then that can affect the people who go back and forth, and therefore may very well change the history of Gemworld as well.)

I'm hoping Cassie gets something of a new origin here. Lennox and the rest of Azzarello's latter-day Children of Zeus do not - currently - seem to be part of the post-Rebirth timeline, so just because she's Zeus's granddaughter doesn't mean she's Lennox's daughter.

Of course, for all I know, Bendis may be ignoring continuity altogether, and his editors may be letting him. Cassie may be the daughter of a Lennox who doesn't even exist in Wonder Woman. Tim may be a fun, kicky Robin here, while in Batman and Detective Comics he continues to be a worried, intense Red Robin traveling the countryside with Stephanie Brown. If that's the case, I'd prefer Wonder Comics be its own imprint, in its own setting. But I don't think they're headed that way.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 01-10-2019 at 02:05 AM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Kon93

cecil f alexander
    This is what was going through my head when bart was saying the same thing lol.

I think all the confusing **** will be explained as everything else in DC right now is,that fluctuations in reality are happening at a increasing rate,and to top that off bart could have touched Tim and cassie and had them remember SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    You can scrap the almost.

Thanks to Rucka's garbage Rebirth run, nothing of the New 52 can have happened.
    Diana is still Zeus's daughter.

Then again, it allows me to see it as the best Elseworld Wonder Woman has ever got, so I guess there is that.
    I think it works much better as an alternate and unconnected timeline than as a bunch of false memories and hallucinogenic/holodeck experiences that Diana needed to get over. If it's not going to be in continuity, there is no reason to keep it around in that odd, nagging form.

But if Cassie's origins is in flux, I would actually like to know if her dad's the child of Zeus or her mother. Probably the former, but I guess it would work better for a WW-affiliated character to be tied to Zeus through her mother.
    I don't think it matters as much for Cassie as for Diana. I'd like Cassie's father to be a child of Zeus (by a mortal woman) who, despite his heritage, is human. (In Greek myths, the half-human children of the gods where usually very impressive - heroes, in many cases - but were generally not supernatural beings unless there was some other element. For example, Hercules nursed from Hera, which many sources claim is why he was supernaturally strong. Perseus, another half-human son of Zeus, used a collection of magical items that granted him supernatural abilities, which he did not have without them.) Then I would use that connection, along with her mother's talents as a archeologist, to go the Perseus route - Cassie finds artifacts that can endow her with superpowers. Possibly they once belonged to her father, or possibly Zeus just declares her the rightful owner, to get around the stealing-from-the-tombs aspect. But we can continue to emphasize both her close relationship with her mother and her mother's help in finding the items.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 01-10-2019 at 03:40 AM.
    Doctor Bifrost

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I'm still on the fence but at least I have Tim present in a book again.
    So many things have been hinted, so many questions are waiting for an answer.

It's the first time I'm reading a Bendis book and my judgment on him remains on hold. Not really fond to all these jokes in dialogues, but it's a young oriented book so it's appropriate.

Gemworld is newish for me and I'm not so impressed at the moment.
    A lukewarm start that does not excite but at the same time does not disappoint, time will tell

Screenshot_20190110-053034.jpg

The extended piece from the screen-capped I already posted.

I adored this. Definitely interested to see some of the character changes/ reversions explained but I like just about all of them. Tim as Robin again is a great move IMO, and his outfit looks the best it has since pre-Infinite Crisis.
    Cheers - CL

I thought it was a fun but nothing too special. Bart was a ton of fun tho. I like Ginny and the Teen Lantern too.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Bendis is on fire lately. Such a great issue!

Extraordinary Member

I thought this was great. We get the bigger story set up in the first few pages, a great introduction to the characters and the team-up with great action, and then the characters thrown into the predicament that will probably be the story for the next few issues. I could probably nitpick a few things but there was never a point I was distracted from the story, except to admire the art a bit longer, and I am hooked on wanting to know more about these characters and Gemworld.

Take this as someone who has no nostalgia about this, I have read comics for a very long time but did not start DC until new 52.

Spectacular Member

I just really, really hope we get to keep both Superboys ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySephiroth View Post
    I just really, really hope we get to keep both Superboys ...
    I wonder about that . . .
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I thought this was an excellent first issue. As a huge fan of the original series and of the characters themselves, I thought it was a worthy successor to the original run. The art was fantastic, the story, while very fast paced, was well done I thought. Everyone had their introduction with the major one, Kon's first Rebirth (and possible first pre-Flashpoint) appearance saved for the end was good.
    LOVE that Amethyst is here. I fell in love with the character when she first appeared waaaay back when that little 8 page pullout showed up in Legion of Super-Heroes far too long ago. I liked most of what was done with the character when she was brought back with the New52 and I am really looking forward to seeing what Bendis and all do with her and her world here.
    As for Cassie...there's been some people pointing out that Rucka did away with all of the New52 Azzerello Wonder Woman history and as such Cassie cant be Lennox's daughter...incorrect. Wonder Woman is still the daughter of Zeus, that was not changed (sadly) so yes Cassie can still be the daughter of Lennox and granddaughter of Zeus. Donna is the only one explicitly affected by Rucka's run, which Abnett and all seem to be explicitly ignoring.
    I would prefer that Tim get his own separate identity, graduating from the Robin mantle, but I also do not mind him running with Robin either...it is by and large far better than "Red Robin."