Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheImperfectFlash View Post
    The Brave and the Bold Vol. 3 #13

HA!!! Bats giving Jay the respect that he's earned!! LOVE IT! Also, love that the writer is bringing in Jay's scientific background.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Nice. I recognize that awesome signature Jerry Ordway art.
    Who's the writer?

Batman saying yes sir to someone is mind blowing. Never see that. But it is Jay so it's deserved respect.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Nice. I recognize that awesome signature Jerry Ordway art.
    Who's the writer?

Batman saying yes sir to someone is mind blowing. Never see that. But it is Jay so it's deserved respect.
    That was a fun issue.

Writer was Mark Waid.

The cover also reminded me of an old Silver Age Flash (Barry) story back in 1968 (though I've only seen the covers; never read the story):

I will have to add this issue to hunt down for my collection. Good ole Mark Waid. Thanks Major!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I love this .

The League/JSA team-ups are always fun.

RCO022.jpg
    1ochar.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post

1ochar.
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Source?
    A backup story from one of the issues at the end of Wally's run. #233.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That was a fun issue.

Writer was Mark Waid.

The cover also reminded me of an old Silver Age Flash (Barry) story back in 1968 (though I've only seen the covers; never read the story):

I own and have read those issues Major.

You ain't missing much.

The Waid Brave and the Bold issues were a good read. Although I actually dropped it after the Jay issue! (I can't remember why...)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

A few pages from Flash Comics #25 (January 1942):

I'm currently rereading my old comics, and working through the early post-Crisis stuff now. I just recently reread the first few issues of Justice League (International), where Batman was completely in charge, and punched out Guy Gardner to prove it. So seeing him take orders from Jay is quite the contrast. But it's also perfectly in character, in both cases. Batman's a pretty good judge of character, and gave both Guy and Jay exactly as much respect as they deserved.

So speaking of that early post-Crisis time period, where was Jay during that time period? At the end of Crisis, Jay and Joan Garrick are shown to exist on the newly merged DCU Earth. But I just read Secret Origins Annual #2, featuring the origins of Wally West and Barry Allen, and Wally mentions that Jay is "gone". What happened to him? I know he comes back later, as I remember that he was around during Mark Waid's Flash run, such as those pages posted earlier in this thread from The Return of Barry Allen storyline. But since I started reading comics in the early 90s, and only have back issues of certain things from the 80s, I feel like I'm missing out on details here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    . . . So speaking of that early post-Crisis time period, where was Jay during that time period? At the end of Crisis, Jay and Joan Garrick are shown to exist on the newly merged DCU Earth. But I just read Secret Origins Annual #2, featuring the origins of Wally West and Barry Allen, and Wally mentions that Jay is "gone". What happened to him? I know he comes back later, as I remember that he was around during Mark Waid's Flash run, such as those pages posted earlier in this thread from The Return of Barry Allen storyline. But since I started reading comics in the early 90s, and only have back issues of certain things from the 80s, I feel like I'm missing out on details here and there.

From 1986 until 1992, most of the Golden Age JSA members were "removed" and off fighting a never-ending Ragnarök.

Then Zero Hour: Infinite Crisis in 1994 killed off, aged, and/or maimed a bunch of the Golden Age heroes.

Of all the Flash i like Jay's design the best.

There is something about that helmet.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I kind of loved that run. So many fun interactions throughout. This is the DC stuff I live for. Jay admitting his age and showing enthusiasm for naps was really fun.

Superman being respectful of Gordon (making the latter question if Metropolis needs a new commissioner)? Pure joy.

Ordway killed that issue and made me wish he didn't just bomb in for that instance and that he and Waid would do more together. Especially among newer fans, he is criminally underrated. It also was more evidence that Jay is a wonderful character who never gets enough appreciation. Rebirth has been poorer for his absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Of all the Flash i like Jay's design the best.

There is something about that helmet.
    Your comment actually gave me an idea. I also really like Jays design and love that it's modeled after Hermes which is very different.

What if you made the three main Flashs, Jay Barry and Wally, have different origins and different sources of their powers. They would all still be called the Flash and have super speed as their primary power but their source of their powers and origin would give them.their own unique themes.

Jay His look is modeled after Hermes so run with that. (Pun not intended ) He got his powers from the Greek or Roman diety and his powers come from them and are magic based. Hard water gas giving him super speed is kinda strange but you could work.it that that made him lose unconsciousness and from there had a meeting with Hermes. You can even have it similar to his close buddy Alan Scott in that although they have similar names to their counterparts their powers come from magic based sources.
    Jays theme is ancient magic. Borrowing some thematic elements from wonder woman and hawkman.

Barry His powers have no supernatural base. He is not connected to the speed force. His origin and power source is exactly how it was originally. Purely a freak accident and based on science. His mind set is firmly set in this. He views his powers and deals with them strictly through science and logic with his Flash facts.
    Barry's theme is science and cold hard facts. He fights science based villains like the rouges.

Wally Wally gets his powers from the speed force. Fitting as it came out originally through him. He still got his powers through a bolt of lightning but there were no chemicals involved and no lab. It was because it was his destiny and he was chosen. It was his is dream.to always be a hero and his wish fullfillment as well. His powers are spiritual. He uses his powers based mostly on gut and intuition and relies on his emotion.
    Wally's theme is spirituality, emotion and instinct. Being connected to something higher with a higher purpose.

Some of these changes are drastic but I think some are just leaning heavily into the already existing distintions which is great for defining them. The differences between.them.could also roll into their costumes and how they use their powers as well as their villains.

Maybe this would work better as an elseworld but just a thought.