Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I am looking forward to it. I've been hot and cold on Williamson's Flash, but I adore Howard Porter and I think Barry Allen has needed a modern retelling of his origin for a while now. The last great Flash origin story was Wally West's Year One decades ago.
    Well, the TV show kind of did that, more or less, but I guess we've never really had one in the comics unless you count the Zero Issue during the Manapul/Buccelato run.

I just wish we could get a Barry origin that didn't have to deal with the dead mom thing, but I know that's preaching to the choir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Reads like something of a compromise between Silver Age and Geoff Johns, but leaning more towards Johns.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Sounds fitting for Williamson.

Mighty Member

Reads like something of a compromise between Silver Age and Geoff Johns, but leaning more towards Johns.

It does and I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the TV show kind of did that, more or less, but I guess we've never really had one in the comics unless you count the Zero Issue during the Manapul/Buccelato run.

I just wish we could get a Barry origin that didn't have to deal with the dead mom thing, but I know that's preaching to the choir.
    I think people just have to let go of the "dead mom" part. It is canon now... and as long as this origin story leads to him permanently being optimistic in his current stories then I'll be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I think people just have to let go of the "dead mom" part. It is canon now... and as long as this origin story leads to him permanently being optimistic in his current stories then I'll be fine with it.
    I mean...I try, but it's just hard to let it go when it seems to still define so much of current Flash continuity and Barry's character, which I'm just really so over with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    It does and I like it!

The last thing you want to do is just accept and get beaten down by a bad idea. Fighting against it is the only way to get it undone. And it's something that really should be undone because, so long as it is true, Barry got his own mother killed and Thawne won by ruining his life. Not a very good status for an "optimistic" hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I am looking forward to it. I've been hot and cold on Williamson's Flash, but I adore Howard Porter and I think Barry Allen has needed a modern retelling of his origin for a while now. The last great Flash origin story was Wally West's Year One decades ago.
    I enjoyed the start to this arc. Porter's art is really good, and I like that I can jump in here not having a long history with The Flash myself.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/.../the-flash-70/

I liked this one a lot. Porter killed it on the art and I thought Williamson did a good job of establishing the very basics of who Barry is and how his powers work in this first issue. Props to Williamson for starting this off with Barry as a kid reading Jay comics. Also, LOVE that ending.

This has the potential to replace Secret Origins Annual 2 as my go-to Barry origin story if the quality keeps up.

Incredible Member

I was considering reading this series, but I have a question. How much of a role does the Barry/Iris relationship play in the rebirth series? Are they together in it? I'm a big fan of them and I was just wondering if there's much of their relationship in this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I was considering reading this series, but I have a question. How much of a role does the Barry/Iris relationship play in the rebirth series? Are they together in it? I'm a big fan of them and I was just wondering if there's much of their relationship in this.
    I'd say it's a pretty significant element to it even if the handling of the relationship is a tad...topsy-turvy.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    Props to Williamson for starting this off with Barry as a kid reading Jay comics. Also, LOVE that ending.
    That was something I noticed immediately too. Nice to see Jay still plays a part in Barry's origin, even though he's still nowhere to be seen in the DCU.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    That was something I noticed immediately too. Nice to see Jay still plays a part in Barry's origin, even though he's still nowhere to be seen in the DCU.
    Ughhhh very frustrating
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Barry encountered Jay briefly in THE BUTTON, but didn't appear to recognize his childhood hero.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The JSA generation have been gone for far too long...

Barry encountered Jay briefly in THE BUTTON, but didn't appear to recognize his childhood hero.

With it being almost three years later who knows if that little plot point is even relevant or remembered now. I don’t think Jay is ever going to get out of the speedforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The JSA generation have been gone for far too long...
    AGREED!!!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ok. cool. looks interesting. definitely will check this out.