Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interview - FLASH's 'Year One' Puts New Twists & Turns on BARRY's Origin: https://www.newsarama.com/45073-flas...-s-origin.html

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Man...sounds like they're planning to make things more complicated than necessary or desired (again).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Man...sounds like they're planning to make things more complicated than necessary or desired (again).

Are you talking about the continuity thing? I was more focused on Barry finally being happy and optimistic again

Astonishing Member

When Barry was little, he was very much a hopeful, optimistic person. But then when his mom was murdered, it changed his view of life. It made him this very pessimistic person who didn’t look forward to the future anymore. He always thought the future was going to be kind of a bummer.
    Not the biggest fan of this take. I think it undermines one of the best and most unique things about Barry.
    Last edited by Dred; 05-06-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are you talking about the continuity thing? I was more focused on Barry finally being happy and optimistic again
    The simplest, most direct thing would be that he's been happy and optimistic his whole life...you know, like during the Silver Age and early Bronze Age.

I’ll pick this up again just for the Rogues because I’ve missed Captain Cold
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member

"Well, it seems that readers are kinda getting bored with where we are right now. SAY, let's do something 'different' and go back to the beginning and rewrite their history/origin. Yeah, that's never been done before. Well, you know, except for those 15 other times. But we'll put a new spin on it. Yeah, that'll work."

End sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Not the biggest fan of this take. I think it undermines one of the best and most unique things about Barry.
    I agree, but I guess it fits with how you would probably approach Barry after his mom was murdered.

So long as you're stuck with that origin it's what you have to work with.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    "Well, it seems that readers are kinda getting bored with where we are right now. SAY, let's do something 'different' and go back to the beginning and rewrite their history/origin. Yeah, that's never been done before. Well, you know, except for those 15 other times. But we'll put a new spin on it. Yeah, that'll work."

End sarcasm.
    Well, there has never been a substantial retelling of Barry Allen's origin. Rewrites of his origin, sure. But not a true origin story like Williamson is trying to do.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am looking forward to it. I've been hot and cold on Williamson's Flash, but I adore Howard Porter and I think Barry Allen has needed a modern retelling of his origin for a while now. The last great Flash origin story was Wally West's Year One decades ago.

Ok so I read it: It jumps around a bit BUT:
    spoilers:

We start of with a Scene of Barry and Nora in the Attic during a Power Outage where Barry was reading her old comics FEATURING JAY GARRICK AS THE FLASH AND THE FIDDLER, she talks to him because he has a black eye, saying he should have told her or Henry if he was being Bullied and he reveals he was trying to help the victim, he wasnt Personally the Victim. We then jump to Barry on Site at a Crime Scene with August Heart where he has an encounter with Iris who wants to interview him and finds it intreesting he keeps avoiding her and August provides him with Advice to ask her on a Date, as Barry leaves the Crime Scene to go to his lab, a Storm starts to roll in and Barry walks past a Happy and Optimistic Family which makes him feel down wishing he shared that optimism, Then we have a Scene we know too well, Crime Lab, Singh asks for evidence now and August wants help with his brother’s case, Iris sends a Message and Barry starts texting back when he’s hit by lightning, we then get a montage of Quotes from His Past as we see him rushed to hospital after being discovered by August.

Barry wakes up and discovers his powers, quickly running to the lab and bumping into August who is now a detective and shocke to see him, August goes to tell Singh Barry’s Back but Barry tells him he already has another case and proceeds to go and determine and investigate his new powers, eventually with the help of Fireprood Jackets Fashioned into shoes he can run without burning them but ends up breaking the Time Barrier where he comes to a Time the Turtle rules Central City, where he’s attacked before his attackeds are incapacitated by a Future Barry Allen who doesnt approve of his younger self’s naive actions timetravelling
    end of spoilers

It’s my favourite Flash issue since Pre-Flash War and reminds me of Born to Run which is good enough for me
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Incredible Member

I don't normally read Flash Rebirth but decided to just check out this arc and I thought it was pretty cool and Will for sure read next issue as well.
    My only gripe is that I felt everything moved way too fast once spoilers:
    he gets his powers. This might be a story that many future readers Will look into when they wanna learn about his origin so Personally I would have taken it slower and maybe given some more explanation.
    end of spoilers

Reads like something of a compromise between Silver Age and Geoff Johns, but leaning more towards Johns.