Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks much better.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    All it needs now are the yellow boots.
    I think Grant Gustin has said he wants the yellow boots. It's pretty much the most major thing they haven't incorporated yet, especially now that they have the longer lightning ears.

I've heard that too. I just never expected to get the comic accurate head wings since it seems like something that would get broken easily on a tv show set.

What is this from?

Look, it's Jay, Thawne, and...super-powered Iris ?
    What comic is this from?

haven't been able to watch this show (or any other show actually) since my work schedules changed.

could anybody give an update on the last season?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's a bit annoying that these days, when discussing the Flash/Barry Allen with newer fans, it's sometimes necessary to explain to them that for the first fifty years of Barry's history, his mother wasn't dead and his father wasn't in prison, and that his parents lived normal lives throughout his career as the Flash. The newer fans are surprised when they learn that originally, Barry had no other motivation for becoming a superhero other than he loved superhero comics and just because he was a good man.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Barry had no other motivation for becoming a superhero other than he loved superhero comics and just because he was a good man.

Good times.

It would be nice to have a Flash who still has parents and don't want to do good because of tragedy.

It's a bit annoying that these days, when discussing the Flash/Barry Allen with newer fans, it's sometimes necessary to explain to them that for the first fifty years of Barry's history, his mother wasn't dead and his father wasn't in prison, and that his parents lived normal lives throughout his career as the Flash. The newer fans are surprised when they learn that originally, Barry had no other motivation for becoming a superhero other than he loved superhero comics and just because he was a good man.

This!! I really hate that retcon.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Adaptions and the comics haven't helped on this front. At all.

Heck, I think it's easy to get a mistaken impression from Barry's character when you read him in guest appearances or in his own book when Williamson writes him so depressed and unhappy.

As a somewhat newer fan myself I would love it if the comics and other adaptations made it clear that Barry is currently living in an alternate timeline where Thawne took his parents from him to make him suffer and it was meeting Iris that kick started him becoming a hero. Meanwhile the original timeline still had Barry becoming the Flash because he was raised to be a good person by his parents.
    Barry's version of the Flash had him time traveling and hopping between alternate realities and world from his second story onward. I think it's an interesting hook for the character and an interesting way to emphasize the themes of hope and moving forward that the Flash have while taking advantage of the Flash's abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    As a somewhat newer fan myself I would love it if the comics and other adaptations made it clear that Barry is currently living in an alternate timeline where Thawne took his parents from him to make him suffer and it was meeting Iris that kick started him becoming a hero. Meanwhile the original timeline still had Barry becoming the Flash because he was raised to be a good person by his parents.
    Barry's version of the Flash had him time traveling and hopping between alternate realities and world from his second story onward. I think it's an interesting hook for the character and an interesting way to emphasize the themes of hope and moving forward that the Flash have while taking advantage of the Flash's abilities.
    I feel like it does get kind of lost amidst the focus on what Thawne did that Barry becoming The Flash happened whether Nora died or not.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    You can tell it's Jim Lee because of the lines, even if it's still not as excessive as New 52 Flash .

newer fans are surprised when they learn that originally, Barry had no other motivation for becoming a superhero other than he loved superhero comics and just because he was a good man.

I like both versions enough, but the living-in-an-alternate timeline origin is not destructive to the original; it's a branch.

It reinforces time travel as a Flash theme, and the importance of the Barry-Eobard conflict throughout history.

Basically, it deleted nothing and adds a lot. Much like the post-Crisis Sinestro-as-Hal's-trainer retcon.