Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What's Next for the Justice Society of America?

Hi everyone,

With the conclusion of Doomsday Clock last week and the impending finale for Doom War over in JLA, it seems as if the ducks are all in a row now for a return to greatness for comicdom's premiere super-team, the Justice Society of America. My question is, what shape should their hoped for comeback take? Snyder has mentioned doing something with the team after JLA and Johns has expressed a desire to write a monthly book featuring the group, but thus far nothing concrete has been laid out for them, even as two former DC MIA mainstays - Captain Marvel and the Legion of Superheroes - now support their own monthly books. This leaves the JSA (and some might argue Wally West) out of the ongoing monthly loop with frustratingly little to go on as far as future plans.

What would you as readers like to see coming up for the group?

BANNED

Which version.

Fantastic Member

That's the real question, right? With so many seemingly different iterations of these classic characters to choose from, which one should be given priority over another? Personally, I'd love to see a great writer-artist team tackle the group in present day DCU with perhaps a mini devoted to the original Earth Two version written by Roy Thomas with art chores handled by Jerry Ordway.

My only problem now is we’re back to where the JSA was pre-new 52. I mean any version of the JSA is better than none but we’re still left with a version where most of the original members are dead and we need to have some, let’s just say, extenuating circumstances to explain why Alan, Jay and Ted are even still alive, let alone active super heroes. After the recent events of the Justice-Doom War in Justice League, I was really hoping for a return of the original JSA.

BANNED

The original members are alive on Earth 2.

I look forward to my favorite DC teams return!

Snyder’s interview from earlier in the year seemed like he wanted to do something with the classic team. But the Doomsday Clock team had a mixture of the classic team and legacy characters ,which was my favorite version because of Stargirl.

As good a writer as Johns is he can’t stay on schedule and I have liked what little we have seen from Synders JSA in his JLA story.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I doubt we'll see a tru;ly "classic" JSA as seen in the Silver Age Earth Two. The conclusion of DClock points to a "whatever current DC main Earth is called this week" being home to both an older, experienced and historic JSA which has developed a lot like it had post Crisis. Not what I would have preferred, but I'll still take it. As to what I'd like to see:

Some time-jump to keep the non-super JSAers around and to set up a realistic way that they've had families. Jade and Obsidian are there and the multiple generations of the franchise is important to separate it from the JL franchise. Plus, the time factor is pretty much at its breaking point.

A Power Girl in the JSA is a must. An alternate universe Supergirl is too good a concept to need to rework. It's a su[perhero series where universe are rewritten on a regular basis. It ain't brain surgery. Kara Zor-L can and should exist.

Crossing over with the nu52 Earth 2 bunch. I'd actually prefer these to JL/JS teamups. Same names, similar powers, and sorta same characters would be fun to read.

I guess the big question is if DC is going to do anything with the returned JSA before 5G hits.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I doubt we'll see a tru;ly "classic" JSA as seen in the Silver Age Earth Two. The conclusion of DClock points to a "whatever current DC main Earth is called this week" being home to both an older, experienced and historic JSA which has developed a lot like it had post Crisis. Not what I would have preferred, but I'll still take it. As to what I'd like to see:

Some time-jump to keep the non-super JSAers around and to set up a realistic way that they've had families. Jade and Obsidian are there and the multiple generations of the franchise is important to separate it from the JL franchise. Plus, the time factor is pretty much at its breaking point.

A Power Girl in the JSA is a must. An alternate universe Supergirl is too good a concept to need to rework. It's a su[perhero series where universe are rewritten on a regular basis. It ain't brain surgery. Kara Zor-L can and should exist.

Crossing over with the nu52 Earth 2 bunch. I'd actually prefer these to JL/JS teamups. Same names, similar powers, and sorta same characters would be fun to read.
    It's possible the Nu52 Earth 2 is replaced.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

I certainly agree with you about Power Girl. She does seem to figure into the Doomsday Clock story there at the end in the sense that she's at least there, so IMO she'll be in any new JSA project. I do hope that it hits before the end of next year though. And...I've seen Johns' take on the JSA, so I'd like to see a new one.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I certainly agree with you about Power Girl. She does seem to figure into the Doomsday Clock story there at the end in the sense that she's at least there, so IMO she'll be in any new JSA project. I do hope that it hits before the end of next year though. And...I've seen Johns' take on the JSA, so I'd like to see a new one.

I also think Power Girl is a necessity when it comes to the modern JSA. Just keep her original origin in tact please. I wish they would bring in the Helena Wayne version of the Huntress as well.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The JSA are in Stargirl's show, aren't they? They should launch a book called Stargirl and the Justice Society.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

It's possible the Female Wildcat and Dr.Midnight never died in this new Earth 0 timeline, and the male replacements never existed.

And Damage never dies.

I honestly expect DC will announce a book in the coming months once Snyder is finishing up his story with the JSA, especially now that Doomsday Clock is finally finished. However even though we’ve seen a line up in Doomsday Clock doesn’t mean it will be the line-up for the book, especially since I’m thinking of JLD with Doctor Fate not wearing the helmet and with his grandson or the fact that Powergirl hasn’t had an official return. In other words I could see a soon to be announced series for a spring or summer release but I would expect line-up changes.

Probably a safe bet that Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, and Wildcat on it, probably Stargirl and Jakeem Thunder(given Johnny’s big story). Wonder Woman maybe since they reestablished her as part of the team since WW2, and maybe Kent and Khalid.
    Last edited by sifighter; 12-22-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    It's possible the Female Wildcat and Dr.Midnight never died in this new Earth 0 timeline, and the male replacements never existed.
    I thought I was up on JSA before nu52, but apparently not. When were Yolanda Montez and Beth Chapel reintroduce to the DCU? And did Beth wear the original Dr. Mid-Nite’s costume then?