Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    Anyone else excited for Barry to finally get the year one treatment? What are you hoping to see covered?

I'm hoping for early battles with Captain Cold and Mirror Master and some Jay Garrick love. Maybe even some sort of Flash of Two Worlds adaptation for the finale.
    I don't know if they'll be able to incorporate Jay, but I'd like to see:

- Less mulling over on Barry's dead mom and imprisoned father and more Barry Allen becoming the idealistic and optimistic hero, The Flash.

- Building up the Rogues, especially Captain Cold.

- A fight with the Turtle, maybe?

- Focusing on the start of Barry's relationship with Iris.

- A Wally appearance (and maybe a cameo or nod to Wallace).

- I guess we'll probably see August too.

- Nods or allusions to the Reverse-Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if they'll be able to incorporate Jay, but I'd like to see:

- Less mulling over on Barry's dead mom and imprisoned father and more Barry Allen becoming the idealistic and optimistic hero, The Flash.

- Building up the Rogues, especially Captain Cold.

- A fight with the Turtle, maybe?

- Focusing on the start of Barry's relationship with Iris.

- A Wally appearance (and maybe a cameo or nod to Wallace).

- I guess we'll probably see August too.

- Nods or allusions to the Reverse-Flash.
    i wasn't that excited with the planned villains event this year, but if dc decided to put a focus on the rogues, i'm all in.

How have people been enjoying the current Flash run? I've started to move back to trades since it's so hard to go back to and get back issues for all of these bi-weekly series. Flash has been one of my favorite characters for as long as I can remember, so I want to see if his rebirth run is worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    How have people been enjoying the current Flash run? I've started to move back to trades since it's so hard to go back to and get back issues for all of these bi-weekly series. Flash has been one of my favorite characters for as long as I can remember, so I want to see if his rebirth run is worth reading.
    I've been enjoying it but I tend to find a lot of negativity toward the direction, mainly the new Forces. I've been enjoying the fun and colorful feel of it all and new characters they've introduced have been interesting. I'm excited to see what it all leads to. I find some people see it as an Emotional Spectrum rip-off (which I can see the argument for) but most people who arent bothered by the concept seem to enjoy, from what I've seen. I also dig the Flash/Batman crossover they are doing right now, Williamson has been doing a solid job balancing the voice of Batman and Barry even though it's another round of the old "Can't Trust Batman" schtick; it's executed well though
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-18-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

Rebirth run is great. Best run with Barry Allen as the Flash in my mind. Some arcs have been better than others, but over all Williamson has done a fantastic job.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I'd say it's a really solid Flash run even if sometimes it feels like Williamson is meandering a little or taking too long with certain concepts and it falls into talking about "poor Barry Allen" more then it should in my opinion.

This is probably the right place to ask this question - what are the Flash stories you would recommend to someone wanting to get into the character? Like, what are the classics new readers should get?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    This is probably the right place to ask this question - what are the Flash stories you would recommend to someone wanting to get into the character? Like, what are the classics new readers should get?
    Probably the Wrong Thread for me to say these ones but Born to Run and Return of Barry Allen from Wally's era have some great stuff for fans of Barry and Wally
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The current run is a pretty good place to start. You really only need to know that Flashpoint was a thing that happened so maybe read that first. In May we are getting Flash Year One which is a modern retelling of his early days so I'd keep an eye out for that.

New 52 Flash has it's moments but is almost its own bubble of continuity. It gets rid of a lot of the history that comes before. Since most of that history has either returned or is on its way to returning, it leaves New 52 in a weird spot continuity-wise.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, Born to Run and Return of Barry Allen are both brilliant starting points if you're interested in Wally's time as The Flash. Even if you're not, I think Return of Barry Allen is the best Flash story of all time and worth checking out on its own merits.

The current rebirth run started really strong and was very enjoyable. It lost my interest after Flash war due to the new forces, force quest, and quite frankly the required tie in to HIC. However, it is still probably the best Barry Allen Flash book since his return.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The current rebirth run started really strong and was very enjoyable. It lost my interest after Flash war due to the new forces, force quest, and quite frankly the required tie in to HIC. However, it is still probably the best Barry Allen Flash book since his return.
    Strongly Agree
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Mighty Member

I actually really enjoyed Force Quest. There was a lot of fun Barry and Iris interaction.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I actually really enjoyed Force Quest. There was a lot of fun Barry and Iris interaction.
    I agree. I understand the argument that the new forces are reminiscent if the GL rainbow spectrum but honestly, it just feels nice to have a run that is attempting to do something to expand the mythology rather than shrink it.

Mighty Member

I agree. I understand the argument that the new forces are reminiscent if the GL rainbow spectrum but honestly, it just feels nice to have a run that is attempting to do something to expand the mythology rather than shrink it.
    I also like the idea that there is only one dominant force at a time while the others are locked away. It makes the presentation distinct enough from the rainbow spectrum that the story doesn't feel like a retread to me.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Probably the Wrong Thread for me to say these ones but Born to Run and Return of Barry Allen from Wally's era have some great stuff for fans of Barry and Wally
    Sounds good. Do I need to read Flash's disappearance in the original Crisis to get Return of Barry Allen (CoIE is on my wishlist, just haven't gotten around to it yet)?
    The current run is a pretty good place to start. You really only need to know that Flashpoint was a thing that happened so maybe read that first.
    I've seen the Flashpoint Paradox film, would you still recommend the book?
    And I don't collect monthly floppies (no local comic shop, and getting single issues off amazon is pricey with shipping and handling), is any of the current run already collected in trades? What are the story lines called for when I look them up?

In May we are getting Flash Year One which is a modern retelling of his early days so I'd keep an eye out for that.
    Year One sounds good, I love origin stories. Will it be a miniseries, one shot, or graphic novel?

New 52 Flash has it's moments but is almost its own bubble of continuity. It gets rid of a lot of the history that comes before. Since most of that history has either returned or is on its way to returning, it leaves New 52 in a weird spot continuity-wise.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, Born to Run and Return of Barry Allen are both brilliant starting points if you're interested in Wally's time as The Flash. Even if you're not, I think Return of Barry Allen is the best Flash story of all time and worth checking out on its own merits.
    Will probably check out the Return then.
    What are the new forces?

And thanks everyone!