Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Original pre-CoIE (Earth-2) Golden Age Batman Appreciation thread

While we already have an appreciation thread for Batman, this one is a bit more specialized: it's designed to honor / celebrate the version of Batman who originally appeared in comic books during the late 1930s, the 1940s, and into the early years of the 1950s, prior to the changeover from "Golden Age" to the "Silver Age" version (a point in time which I don't think has clearly been defined for Batman as to a specific title / issue #).

Once the "Silver Age" version became the focus for Batman stories later in the 1950s, the Golden Age version was basically sidelined for a while. An adult version of Robin took over for Batman in the Justice Society of America (who during the Silver Age were revealed to still be somewhat active on a separate Earth, called "Earth-2" or "Earth-Two"), and it was also later revealed that the Golden Age Batman had married Catwoman (Selina Kyle), had a daughter (Helena, who became The Huntress), and eventually became the Police Commissioner for Gotham City (on Earth-2, of course).

His death occurred during an adventure of the Justice Society of America in 1979,

but there were still some "untold stories" of Batman's past that would be published from time to time. The origin story for Golden Age Batman was included in Secret Origins #6 (from 1986),

and the ghost of the (former Earth-2) Batman even played a role in an adventure of the JSA back in 2006!
    (More on that one in a future post!)

Fantastic Member

He is absolutely beautiful. A hero in every meaning of the word.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

The coolest Batman I think.
    Miller was right.

By the way, a couple of older related threads that may be of interest:
    * Wish DC would give us a GOLDEN-AGE BATMAN: YEAR ONE series
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...EAR-ONE-series

* Batman: The War Years 1939-1945 (bargain book by Roy Thomas)
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...by-Roy-Thomas)

Not to mention the Batman Golden Age Omnibus (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...en-Age-Omnibus) which is up to Volume 6 in hardcover at present, with Volume 7 expected to be available in June (2019). See = https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...-omnibus-vol-7.
    The softcover collections are currently at Volume 5, released back in September 2018. See: https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...lden-age-vol-5

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The Golden Age volumes have gorgeous classic looking covers

409389._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The Golden Age volumes have gorgeous classic looking covers

409389._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Those covers are so great, I wish there was a whole series based on them.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Those covers are so great, I wish there was a whole series based on them.
    There's so many of them now they pretty much a series ^^

482886._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

WRECKING BAAALLL

I'm wondering if/when a Volume 6 will be released in a trade paperback.

* Vol. 1 = Aug 10 2016
    * Vol. 2 = Feb 15 2017

* Vol. 3 = Aug 30 2017

* Vol. 4 = Feb 14 2018

* Vol. 5 = Sep 19 2018

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Here is a Golden Age Batman & Robin print with his main villains from that era by the master, 1950's Bat Artist Dick Sprang.

GAbatmandicksprang.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm wondering if/when a Volume 6 will be released in a trade paperback.

* Vol. 1 = Aug 10 2016
    * Vol. 2 = Feb 15 2017

* Vol. 3 = Aug 30 2017

* Vol. 4 = Feb 14 2018

* Vol. 5 = Sep 19 2018
    August, Feb, August, Feb, September... those are pretty long intervals but not much delay for Vol. 5. No news on february solicitation?

Astonishing Member

The Golden Age Superman has always gotten quiet a bit of love, especially in recent years, and is now a distinct iconic version of the character in his own right. So, as we're in the year of the Dark Knight's 80th anniversary, I can't help but wish that the Golden Age Batman also gets his day in the limelight.

I hope that the upcoming 1000th issue of 'Tec features a Golden Age Batman story, much like the Action issue featured a Golden Age Superman story. But why stop there? Why not a miniseries about the Golden Age Batman and his supporting cast?

In fact, I've come up with the perfect premise for one. The 60's are pretty much a huge gap in this Batman's timeline. All we know is that he went into semi-retirement and that Dick ended up taking his place as Gotham's premire crime-fighter and as a JSA member. Why not set a mini during this time-period? Bruce and Selina are happily married. Helena Wayne is a kid. Bruce is probably thinking about hanging up the cape and cowl and Dick is possibly contemplating replacing him. Also, the other Golden Age heroes who retired are coming back so Bruce maybe thinks that he can afford to retire now.

OR...we can just have a straight-foward mini with Batman and Robin busting crooks like its 1945!

I just want the First Knight to get his due...

I'd really like him to get his due from the pre-Robin days, before he was fully established.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    but there were still some "untold stories" of Batman's past that would be published from time to time. The origin story for Golden Age Batman was included in Secret Origins #6 (from 1986),
    I have a fondness for origin stories (I know, I know, most fans are sick and tired of origin stories, but for some reason I can't get enough of them), is this collected in trade anywhere (preferably cheap and available on Amazon)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I have a fondness for origin stories (I know, I know, most fans are sick and tired of origin stories, but for some reason I can't get enough of them), is this collected in trade anywhere (preferably cheap and available on Amazon)?
    According to the GCD, that story was collected in Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told Vol. 2 (2007)

and also in Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers from 2011.

As for "preferably cheap", that I can't help you with. All depends on what format(s) / what price(s) you're willing to go with.

If you want more of Roy's Golden Age origins retold, have you tried this?

The Last Days of the Justice Society of America (2017)
    which collects the 1986 issue of the same name and many of the (post-CoIE) origin stories of the JSA members that were originally published in the 1986 - 1990 run of Secret Origins.

All-New Member

At the time Adventure 462 (?) came out, was anyone surprised they killed of the Earth Two Batman?