Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Sandman Mystery Theater" was one of the most unique, visionary works to have ever come from DC. And for such a long run, too. It's up there with Robinson/Harris's "Starman" to me, but doesn't get the lauds it should. Between this and the Pieter Cross "Dr Mid-Nite," Matt Wagner should have done a lot more work for DC. ("Trinity" was okay, but doesn't compare)
    The beauty of Sandman vs the Trinity is one is more capable of putting their mark on a lesser known character and defining them without having to put all the toys back in the basket. the combinaytion of Wes' less than athletic appearance, his brains, costume, the book's ability to bring what would have been quick eight page Golden Age kids' stories and turn them into detailed saga full of atmosphere and a real maturity made this book something special. Dian's role as an almost equal was extraordinary and helped to define the times without being unduly preachy.

Sandman Mystery Theatre was a wonderful series and one I'm glad I followed.

The Sandman has one of the coolest character designs. The gas mask, suit, and fedora is such a cool and mysterious look. Sandman Mystery Theater was such an amazing comic. Bendis has brought The Question back and their seems to be a resurgence of street level detectives. Would love to see The Sandman return to the DCU.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Please just let me add my appreciation for a unique and sometimes compelling series. Was lucky enough to collect these as they came out--one of the truly original 'new' characters of his time. And the setting--wonderful. The annual remains one of my favorite comics to reread every few years.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Sandman Mystery Theater" was one of the most unique, visionary works to have ever come from DC. And for such a long run, too. It's up there with Robinson/Harris's "Starman" to me, . . .
    And there was also

The death of Wesley Dodds - from JSA Secret Files #1 (August 1999)
    Part One:

(more next time)

The death of Wesley Dodds - from JSA Secret Files #1 (August 1999)
    Continued from previous post:

From a story in All Star Comics #2 (Fall 1940), the issue before the first meeting of the JSA.

From his appearance in All Star Comics #3 (Winter 1940), the first meeting of the JSA.

Sandman in Doomsday Clock #10:

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

from Adventure Comics #44 (November 1939):

In the previous version of this thread, I posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy
    And don't forget

MADAME XANADU: EXODUS NOIR VOL. 2

had Madame Xanadu meeting up with the Sandman Mystery Theatre version in the 1940s.
    So, from Madame Xanadu #14, cover-dated October 2009 (which is included in that collection):