Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

God, the coloring on MMX has just been hot garbage. I know I’m already not a fan of the book to begin with, but D’Armata really is one of Marvel’s worst colorists. Everything looks too smoothed out, there’s no texture.

I have not been a fan of this book either. I hope it actually ends with Gambit being important and not about Rogue's 'effin' powers. I'm prepared for disappointment.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Wow!
    MMX 12 is awesome. KT ended it with a bang and I neeeeed mmoooore!

So many cool things in it. It ended in the best way possible. spoilers:
    Charged chains, delayed charge on ground
    end of spoilers It was just awesome!

Loved Gambit speach at the end and cameo. I want more!
    Last edited by Purplevit; 06-26-2019 at 06:51 AM.

From the 'review' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    One of the best Gambit protrayals in recent times. Bittersweet end as I am left wondering why it took 12 issues to get to this point. Alas what could have been.
    I haven't read it yet but at least if you are saying this, that gives me hope. The point you make about waiting so long .... is valid criticism or observation.
    Last edited by Neko; 06-28-2019 at 08:58 AM.

I have a lot I want to say about Kelly’s writing of both this series and the mini, but I want to collect my thoughts before I say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I have a lot I want to say about Kelly’s writing of both this series and the mini, but I want to collect my thoughts before I say anything.
    Me too. I don't believe its the darling end all. Gambit got to shine at the end -that is what I'm observing from comments. He was still 'no one' in the book until now. Great. IMO
    Last edited by Neko; 06-27-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    From the "review" thread.

I haven't read it yet but at least if you are saying this, that gives me hope. The point you make about waiting so long .... is valid criticism or observation.
    Yeah it really was a wasted opportunity. After 17 issues, I got one really good issue of Gambit and 16 issues of largely forgettable Gambit. This issue made me feel like it is not the case that KT doesn't get Gambit. It is the case that she didn't care to explore much of anything related to him until the end. In that regard reminded me of Mike Carey albeit with a better end to her ran than his.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Yeah it really was a wasted opportunity. After 17 issues, I got one really good issue of Gambit and 16 issues of largely forgettable Gambit. This issue made me feel like it is not the case that KT doesn't get Gambit. It is the case that she didn't care to explore much of anything related to him until the end. In that regard reminded me of Mike Carey albeit with a better end to her ran than his.
    IMO - All she cared about was Rogue. Gambit was a trophy.

MMX was fine and had a lot of great moments for Gambit. It had some bad moments but it had a lot of great stuff too.

In terms of book accomplishments looking at this forum and responses in twitter I'll say this:

- People that were into Romy liked MMX, so it managed to satisfy the existing base.
    - People that didn't like Romy before still don't like it now, so it wasn't able to win over that crowd and I'm not surprise by that, it was a very daunting task right from the start.
    - From what I've seen mainly in twitter, a lot of people that were indifferent to the couple before, they seem to like it now.

For me, I think KT did an alright job and I enjoyed reading it. Yes, I wish there had been more development done with Gambit but given the context of: years of limbo with just some guest appearances as an incompetent low level thief and about ten issues as wallpaper in Red; I found MMX refreshing, an oasis after years of nothingness.

Lego's post in the appreciation thread got me thinking about whether this represented evolution for Gambit in terms of his he was both an X-men and thief and didn't need to prove himself to the Guild or Rogue and it reminded me of Asmus' ending so thought I would post my thoughts from that thread here as well re evolution.

It is weird, I sort of had an opposite reaction to this at felt eerily similar to how Asmus ended his Gambit run ie Gambit assuming the role as X-man, teacher and KoT while telling Rogue he was basically done trying to prove himself to her. So rather than this being evolution, it is pretty much putting him back to where he was at the end of Asmus run as subsequent writers had seemingly ignored it.

With Gambit, a character I loved as a teenager but have struggled with as an adult, the overplayed "cool" factor has always been a problem. There is a cool badass somewhere inside of Gambit, but he wasn't in this series, and least of all in this final issue.

The end reveal of "Gambit" #17 should leave readers curious and excited about what's next, but the storytelling is so unclear, it's difficult to determine what's happened. Readers are left with the idea that Gambit is willing to play the fool that nobody expects much of for his role as both an X-Man and as a teacher at the Jean Grey School, so that he can be the leader of the Thieves Guild behind the scenes, but it all just left me cold. Both of those things seem unworthy of the character he has always had the potential to be. The door has been left open for Gambit's future to go in a myriad of directions, and that's nice enough, but he's less likable after this series than he was before -- not a ringing endorsement.

https://www.cbr.com/gambit-17/

What made KT's echoing of Asmus all the more weird is she was very critical of Asmus' run in particular it seems his assuming that dual role of X-man and KoT. I know she has in the past remarked how in hindsight she felt she was overly harsh regarding Asmus' run and perhaps this is proof of that.

Having said that, it really was the best issue and Gambit of the series for me with my only lament that I wish it had come to fruition sooner. This is the first time Gambit really felt like Gambit quite frankly since Asmus and I am grateful that at a minimum Gambit is back where he was at the end of Asmus' run and hopefully this time someone actually does something with it.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Hey way off topic but since plans for an MCU X-Men movie have been scrapped for a couple years to build the brand I was thinking that this dude from Stranger Things kinda has that young Benicio Del Toro look. Maybe he could play Gambit in a future X-Men movie especially if they jump in somewhere in the middle like the 90’s animated series did. What do y’all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by X-sushi View Post
    Hey way off topic but since plans for an MCU X-Men movie have been scrapped for a couple years to build the brand I was thinking that this dude from Stranger Things kinda has that young Benicio Del Toro look. Maybe he could play Gambit in a future X-Men movie especially if they jump in somewhere in the middle like the 90’s animated series did. What do y’all think?
    Cannonball from New X-Men? Never saw him in in any charismatic role, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Cannonball from New X-Men? Never saw him in in any charismatic role, really.
    He's got the face for it. His role in stranger things is more of a shy kind guy so it's hard to compare him to Remy. Perhaps season 1 where he was more tortured, don't remember him that well from that season.

I'm not sure but there seems to be a general conscencus on the X-men writers part that Rogue is one of the more popular characters in the X-universe. Not to bash on Rogue or her fans but this conscencus seems to lead to the X-office thinking that readers are more interested in her than him. I think most fans just wanted a close to 50/50 representation in the comic.

To take this one step further: Gambit has upheld several ongoings and while his popularity has waned since the X-mens peak hasn't all of the characters? In general one would think that a competent editor would have said to KT: hey we need more focus on Gambit here, we don't want to miss out on those other 50% readers. I can buy that writers have favorites and in particuluar Rogue seems to be one that resonates strongly with writers who consider the 80's the strongest period.A ggod editor reigns that in. Claremont needed a strong editor to not fall into certain traps or focus more on 1-2 characters. If even Claremont needed a good editor I would imagine new writers are not exempt from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    He's got the face for it. His role in stranger things is more of a shy kind guy so it's hard to compare him to Remy. Perhaps season 1 where he was more tortured, don't remember him that well from that season.

I'm not sure but there seems to be a general conscencus on the X-men writers part that Rogue is one of the more popular characters in the X-universe. Not to bash on Rogue or her fans but this conscencus seems to lead to the X-office thinking that readers are more interested in her than him. I think most fans just wanted a close to 50/50 representation in the comic.

To take this one step further: Gambit has upheld several ongoings and while his popularity has waned since the X-mens peak hasn't all of the characters? In general one would think that a competent editor would have said to KT: hey we need more focus on Gambit here, we don't want to miss out on those other 50% readers. I can buy that writers have favorites and in particuluar Rogue seems to be one that resonates strongly with writers who consider the 80's the strongest period.A ggod editor reigns that in. Claremont needed a strong editor to not fall into certain traps or focus more on 1-2 characters. If even Claremont needed a good editor I would imagine new writers are not exempt from this.
    I think the problem is that Gambit is mostly loved or hated. Nothing in between.
    Will see what the new relaunch have in store for him. Hopefully something cool.