Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Default Shatterstar Appreciation 2019

Welcome to the Shatterstar Appreciation Thread!

First Appearance: New Mutants #99 (Vol. 1), created by Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefeld.

Aliases: Gaveedra-Seven, Benjamin Russell, Ben Gaveedra

Abilities: Vibratory shockwaves and teleportation. Enhanced strength, speed, agility, and healing.

Key relationships: Longshot (father), Dazzler (mother), Rictor (boyfriend), Cable, Layla Miller, Multiple Man, Monet, Gringrave.

Important Comic Appearances: X-Force Vol. 1, X-Factor Vol. 3, Shatterstar (2018). Shatterstar was confirmed bisexual in X-Factor #45 (Vol. 3) and his unconventional origins were detailed in X-Factor #259 (vol. 3).

Film Appearances: Deadpool 2 (2018), played by Lewis Tan.

Last edited by Dante Milton; 01-01-2019 at 04:48 PM.

I remember really liking him when Rob created him, but I lost track when I quit comics in the early 90's. I know he's been on other teams, but he'll always be X-Force to me.

I actually didn't like him when i first started reading comics in the 90's, but as i got older, i started to really get into him and now he's one of my favorite mutants

Shatterstar #4 came out today. I really like this one, much more than the previous issue. Star's speech in the arena was great, the action was exciting, the climax of the conflict with Gringrave was satisfying, the art was great, and it had a good cliffhanger. I'm still a little disappointed about the small changes to Star's past in the flashbacks, but they're not dealbreaker bad and I'll get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    I actually didn't like him when i first started reading comics in the 90's, but as i got older, i started to really get into him and now he's one of my favorite mutants
    I initially liked him, then when I got older I rejected the character as '90s trash, then when PAD brought him back I started liking him again. It was actually hearing about Star and Rictor's kiss that got me back into X-books after a loooong break.

I was never really a big fan until I picked up the limited series. It had me laughing my ass off within the first couple pages and then turned into a great book that fleshed Star out as a well-developed character. And yeah, #4 ended really strong. I'm excited to see how Seeley finishes this one up!

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...shatterstar-4/

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    Sweet. I initially liked him because of the swords, being a big Highlander fan back in those days. He was my favorite member of X-Force. Then I quit comics (unrelated to him).

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Your favorite X-character may be cool, but he/she will never be Grab-your-ex-lover/enemy-into-a-tight-embrace-and-willingly-impale-both-of-your-bodies-onto-your-own-damn-sword cool.
    An exceptional scene for an exceptional character.

I loved the flashback art in this series. Sandoval draws Shatterstar so well, it's almost like a 90's issue of X-Force. And yes, I mean that in a good way!

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...shatterstar-5/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I remember really liking him when Rob created him, but I lost track when I quit comics in the early 90's. I know he's been on other teams, but he'll always be X-Force to me.
    Yes!! I view the character as being always X-Force as well because said character was part of the original line-up!

The Original Lineup: Cable, Cannonball, Boom-Boom, Warpath, Shatterstar, Feral and Domino!

I really only know Shattybuns from PAD's X-Factor, but that made me a fan. He and Rictor are great together.

How did his mini conclude? Gimme the DEETS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    How did his mini conclude? Gimme the DEETS!!!
    The short version, Star's tenants were teleported back to Earth, he teleported Grandmaster to Earth-1218, a world without superpowers or gods effectively depowering him. Star stabbed Grandmaster, kicked him off a bridge, and stranded him in Earth-1218. Star fell back through his still open portal but didn't have enough power/an anchor to get home and so was floating through in between space, then a portal opened up and Rictor pulled him back to Earth, he used his powers to boost Star's because they've "always been on the same wavelength", kind of a nonsense explanation, but cute and romantic and, hey, it's comics.

Astonishing Member

I really hope they dont just toss away the development Shatterstar got from his mini. He finally got more personality and more depth caring for his tenants and I love his relationship with Rictor. It seems to happen to often that development pushes just get lost in the constant reshuffling and reboots of the X lineups.

I'd Like for Rictor and Shatterstar could be one of comics power couples. There is no reason not to further his development and build on it. But we have seen in the past we get spurts of development for fringe characters then they get tossed back to the back burner. Sunspot has been used like that, Cannonball... and its a shame

Hopefully he'll be a supporting character in Excalibur. I don't want him to be apart from Rictor.

Plus he'd fit right in with the theme, being this lovable pirate/swordsman type.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Hopefully he'll be a supporting character in Excalibur. I don't want him to be apart from Rictor.

Plus he'd fit right in with the theme, being this lovable pirate/swordsman type.
    Star is from a dimension of science and magic. I should hope that he would make at least the odd cameo in Excalibur.

I would like to see him in Marauders, too. He makes for an adorable pirate

Pirate.jpg