Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I like the preview)

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I'm not liking Longshots short straight hair. His hair needs to be wild. But Gambit looks good. These pages are amusing, though. Anybody else remember the theory that Gambit and Longshot were one in the same? I think it was that Gambit was the result of Longshot going through the siege perilous? I'm not sure, though. My memory is getting fuzzy in my old age. :-p

I definitely wouldn't say no to this. I was just in the Mike Deodato thread. I was wondering... had he ever done Gambit? His newer grittier style would definitely work for him.
    Deodato drew Gambit in Astonishing X-Men 2.

Love panel where Gambit kicks Fanto through door.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    It won’t be great until someone asks the immortal question “Are you serious, right in front of my salad?”
    LMFAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Would be nice if Rogue actually was shown to care about Gambit. It's the Rogue/boyfriend or fling tour ... let it roll.
    Should throw in a few women as well just for equality purposes. Maybe Spiral can fall in love with Rogue too because you know Rogue is the absolute greatest.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I'm not liking Longshots short straight hair. His hair needs to be wild.
    If only one artist got to make his hair wild without making it awful... (Immonen -bearded one- and Zulli did it pretty well). Until then, I rather prefer this modest cut.

Anybody else remember the theory that Gambit and Longshot were one in the same? I think it was that Gambit was the result of Longshot going through the siege perilous?
    Well, it's obvious that Gambit occupied Longshot's role the same way that Longshot occupied Nightcrawler's before. I never heard of this crazy theory about the Siege Perilous, though. Is it serious?

Rumor is false. Claremont created Gambit because he couldn't use Longshot but was always suppose to be a separate character that was actually a villain stemming from the same child mind that created Sinister.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...ealed-181/amp/
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

So it really was a legend for a while! I didn't know about it at all.

Thank you very much for the info, remydat.

No problem.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    This is the high-fantasy, roguish Gambit that I've always wanted to see. Super excited for this

Yea this is definitely a treat for you. All of these Mojo parody versions of Gambit and Rogue are probably fulfilling a lot of fans dream fanfiction stories.

I'm not liking Longshots short straight hair. His hair needs to be wild. But Gambit looks good. These pages are amusing, though. Anybody else remember the theory that Gambit and Longshot were one in the same? I think it was that Gambit was the result of Longshot going through the siege perilous? I'm not sure, though. My memory is getting fuzzy in my old age. :-p

I definitely wouldn't say no to this. I was just in the Mike Deodato thread. I was wondering... had he ever done Gambit? His newer grittier style would definitely work for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

I wasn't a fan of Soule's Astonishing Xmen so I completely forgot that Deodato drew Gambit in that. But yea Deodato's art may have been one of the few pros about that run. He's a solid artist. Here's some of his Gambit art including a panel from Astonishing Xmen. I have to admit that while a decent amount of bad artists have drawn Gambit, there have been some great artists out there that have done Remy justice.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Would be nice if Rogue actually was shown to care about Gambit. It's the Rogue/boyfriend or fling tour ... let it roll.

Yea that's the gripe I have with all 13 issues (including the mini) that Thompson has written of Rogue and Gambit's relationship. Is that it seems all she can write about is Gambit proving his devotion to Rogue and Rogue still having issues of trust with him. I assume her ultimate end goal in terms of the relationship is for Rogue to finally admit that she can rely on Gambit and trusts him(?). But I think for it's time we see Rogue express her love and be supportive towards Gambit, something she hasn't done in decades. This supposed loving relationship seems more one-sided than other comics relationship out there to me. Also it would be fantastic for Gambit to have some actual character development and major action beats like Rogue has gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Rumor is false. Claremont created Gambit because he couldn't use Longshot but was always suppose to be a separate character that was actually a villain stemming from the same child mind that created Sinister.

Great find Remydat. but I think I may have missed something in that CBR article. It clearly said that Gambit was originally meant to be a villain according to Claremont and that him & Longshot are definitely separate characters. But I couldn't find where it said that Claremont created Gambit because he couldn't use Longshot just that Claremont originally intended him to be a villain with ties to Sinister. Maybe I missed something.

Oh the bit about him being created because Claremont couldn't use Longshot was not from that article. I wrote my response and then did a quick search and found an article to support a part of my response. But the original response was just based on what I recalled.

Oh the bit about him being created because Claremont couldn't use Longshot was not from that article. I wrote my response and then did a quick search and found an article to support a part of my response. But the original response was just based on what I recalled.
    The official explanation for Longshot's sudden exit from X-Men in UXM #248 was that Nocenti and Adams was planning a Graphic Novel/Limited Series/title for him. Actually, an appreciable amount of stuff (plots, drafts and sketches) was made according to them in several interviews, but unfortunately nothing of this saw daylight...and Longshot was laid up as a result.

I guess that the opinion about "Claremont creating Gambit because he couldn't use Longshot" refers to the fact that he needed to fill up the gap of the 'charming slender lithe guy' on the team, the same role that Nightcrawler played once.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    The official explanation for Longshot's sudden exit from X-Men in UXM #248 was that Nocenti and Adams was planning a Graphic Novel/Limited Series/title for him. Actually, an appreciable amount of stuff (plots, drafts and sketches) was made according to them in several interviews, but unfortunately nothing of this saw daylight...and Longshot was laid up as a result.

I guess that the opinion about "Claremont creating Gambit because he couldn't use Longshot" refers to the fact that he needed to fill up the gap of the 'charming slender lithe guy' on the team, the same role that Nightcrawler played once.
    Got it, I just wanted to separate speculation from fact. The bit about Claremont creating Gambit because he couldn't use Longshot is just pure speculation and I'm not even sure Claremont wanted the reader to infer that. I'll admit that there are some similarities between Gambit and Longshot when it comes to some of their personality traits, but that's as far as it goes for me in my opinion. And many characters in Xmen and Marvel share many traits. What we do know and what is posted in that CBR article that Remydat posted is that Claremont created Gambit with the intention that Remy would be a villain with ties to Mister Sinister. Another reason why I want Mister Sinister to be featured as a villain again for Gambit (possibly with Rogue) to take on again and for Sinister's connection with Gambit to be explored again. Here's another article from CBR that talks about Claremont's intention to originally make Gambit a villain: https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban...s-revealed-78/

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post

Yeah I forgot all the history as to why Longshot wasn't available to Claremont but I just recall he wasn't and so Claremont decided to create a character that could fill the role he had intended for Longshot. I think there may have been a scene early on where Wolverine during a danger room session compared Gambit to Longshot and I think that is why all the talk of it being Longshot from Siege Perilous stemmed from. People took it as Claremont dropping hints that Gambit was in fact Longshot.

Edit - I found the reference I was talking about. From Uncanny 273. I forgot about the fact that at one point Gambit's eyes glowed like Longshot as well. His original power signature used to be his charging up throwing spikes (not cards) with his eyes and Longshot used to throw throwing spikes. And the Lady Deathstrike image coming on was presumed to have been Gambits (ie Longshot's) luck powers kicking into effect in that famous Bang You're Dead scene.

http://notblogx.blogspot.com/2013/07...uary-1991.html

- Gambit “officially” joins the X-Men this issue, in the sense that Storm refuses to leave with him, so he decides to stick around. At the end of the story, he’s wearing an X-uniform with the rest of the team. Gambit’s casual decision to stay probably ties in to Claremont’s rumored original plan to reveal Gambit's a spy for Mr. Sinister.

- This is the issue that ignited the long-running fan speculation that Gambit was a reincarnated Longshot. While Wolverine and Gambit are sparring in the Danger Room, Wolverine remarks that his moves are similar to Longshot’s. On the next panel, a hologram of Lady Deathstrike emerges and attacks Wolverine. In an altered word balloon, Jubilee questions who turned that sequence on. The scene then cuts to Gambit smiling with his left eye glowing, much like Longshot’s.
    Last edited by remydat; 02-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Thanks for clarifying, remydat.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

Haha! Now that would be something worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    I wasn't a fan of Soule's Astonishing Xmen so I completely forgot that Deodato drew Gambit in that. But yea Deodato's art may have been one of the few pros about that run. He's a solid artist. Here's some of his Gambit art including a panel from Astonishing Xmen. I have to admit that while a decent amount of bad artists have drawn Gambit, there have been some great artists out there that have done Remy justice.

I haven't read this one myself. I have heard of it but I gave up on X-Books around this time. But DAMN I was right Deodato's Gambit is perfect. You should post those in the Deodato thread sometime in the Marvel forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    I know what it actually is in response to, but out of context this is such a caption-able image. The combination of their expressions is perfect.

"Wait, so Cable is Rachel's stepbrother but Nate is her brother, right?" "Maybe? Is Stryfe a stepbrother too?"