Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    The interesting thing is that the Gambit solo from the 2012-2013 actually sold just as many if not more copies than Mr & Mrs. X. The 11th issue of that Gambit solo sold more than the 5th issue MMX. That Gambit solo was able to pretty consistently keep it's sales at around the 20K sales mark. And you can't even argue that the X-men comics were selling a lot more back then because X-men Legacy (one of the flagship Xmen titles) was only selling in the 30K's and sometimes dipped below that.

There's definitely potential behind Gambit, we just need creative writers who are interested in exploring the character the same way some writers like Nicieza and Asmus were in the past. It would be nice to also get some more support from Marvel editorial. It's great to see him featured in MMX, even if he does feel like more of a major secondary character at times, but it would be nice to see get a push in other Xmen titles as part of a team. And yes hopefully we do get 3 trades from Mr & Mrs. X. I'm sure we'll get 2 trades but 3 would be great, the more Gambit the better. Hopefully Marvel continues to feature him in some capacity after Mr & Mrs. X is done. I think my dream would be for some writer with interest in Gambit to revolutionize his character in a comic the same way Tom King revolutionized Vision when he wrote him in a Maxi series a few years ago.
    Asmus solo launched in 2012, that's 7 years ago during the first X-men relaunch which at that time was something big and never done before, the whole thing boosted the numbers of the whole X-line a lot.
    Now, the market is in a completely different place, we are in like the fifth or sixth relaunch of the X-line and instead of gaining readers Marvel is constantly losing them. Compare the team books of back then with the sales of Red, Gold, Blue and even UXM (it's already falling form a cliff), and the difference is substantial. IMO to expect similar Asmus numbers for a new Gambit solo is completely unrealistic, the only sustainable solos have to have a character with claws coming out of them, that's the harsh truth.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    Asmus solo launched in 2012, that's 7 years ago during the first X-men relaunch which at that time was something big and never done before, the whole thing boosted the numbers of the whole X-line a lot.
    Now, the market is in a completely different place, we are in like the fifth or sixth relaunch of the X-line and instead of gaining readers Marvel is constantly losing them. Compare the team books of back then with the sales of Red, Gold, Blue and even UXM (it's already falling form a cliff), and the difference is substantial. IMO to expect similar Asmus numbers for a new Gambit solo is completely unrealistic, the only sustainable solos have to have a character with claws coming out of them, that's the harsh truth.
    I do agree that comic sales were greater back then so it would be challenging for a Gambit solo now to sell as much as Asmus's Gambit solo especially since Marvel hasn't done a good job of marketing the character in years and barely featured him in comics the last few years before MMX came out. But since the rest of the main X-men titles aren't selling as well maybe Mr & Mrs. X can survive longer than we expect it to. Marvel really has themselves to blame for the state of the X-men comics because they got pissed that Fox had control of the movies so they tried to push the inhumans in the comics and tried to downplay the X-men. Then that failed and then they finally got the rights to the X-men movies. Now they're fighting an uphill battle to revitalize the X-men comics to what they used to be.

Still I do hope that 2019 is a good year for Gambit, whether it's in MMX or in another comic. We still don't what's going to happen to the X-men once the Age of X-man is over, hopefully Gambit is part of the stories after that. I assume that in the Summer after Age of X-man they'll probably split the X-men into multiple teams with how big the rosters are now.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Thanks for creating the new thread, Neko! Glad to see you used Idan's art as well. His stuff on Instagram is crazy cool, especially his Gambit commissions
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Thanks for creating the new thread, Neko! Glad to see you used Idan's art as well. His stuff on Instagram is crazy cool, especially his Gambit commissions
    His art is beautiful. His commissions are great and its not just Gambit. He has a gorgeous style. I have some other art from him. His Wolverine and Psylocke are sweet too.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Amazing Member

Hello Gambit fans (what's Gambit's fandom name?)

besides Gambit's original pink costume in uncanny x-men, the yellow one in x-factor is another favorite.

7XDZyLa.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

anybody agrees?

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_whitequeen View Post

besides Gambit's original pink costume in uncanny x-men, the yellow one in x-factor is another favorite.

7XDZyLa.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

anybody agrees?
    Definitely a fan of that costume. Not huge on the yellow lenses, but I didn't like those on anyone on that team
    Make Good Art

I hate the X-factor costume (...and pretty much everything that happened in that book )

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by the_whitequeen View Post

7XDZyLa.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

anybody agrees?
    Pretty nice figure and I always found his X-factor costume to be pretty good.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    There is only one card throwing amazing character from Marvel and that would be Remy LeBeau .. Gambit.

Attachment 76309

Art by Idan Knafo. I hope he gets the opportunity to draw Gambit for Marvel.

Gambit uses kinetic energy, his choice of weapon is cards but also uses a bo-staff. He's above average in athleticism, very agile, and good strategist. Sometimes using himself as the distraction to help his teammates.

Gambit's eyes are red with black sclera (no white around the eye). Sometimes his eyes light up with his power, sometimes they do not, depends on artist and writer wants.

He is charming and its alleged it could be part of his mutation but its debatable. Writers prefer his charm to be part of his personality.

Gambit is King of the Thieves Guild when it suits him.

Gambit was introduced into the Marvel U in 1990 - Uncanny Xmen #266.

Gambit is good friends with Storm, Wolverine and has mentored X-23.

He's worked with all of the Xmen, including Polaris and Quicksilver in ANXF.

Currently married to Rogue. (2018)

Gambit is currently in Mr & Mrs X, and Xmen Red. (2018-2019)

His cast of villains is large but Mr. Sinister is probably his biggest antagonist.

Gambit owns three cats (or do they own him?) ... all Disney named - Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro. (Asmus, PAD)

I could add more but we're Gambit fans - we know him.

I will add another picture ... or two ... right now, settling for one more. LOL

Attachment 76314

Kris Anka art, cover for ANXF

edit - one of many but will say why.
    It appears the old thread is dead. Time for a new one. I moved this comment to the end because if you scroll over it when looking at threads, I didn't want it to be the first thing you read.
    Wow I really like the art by Idan Knafo in the image above. I had never heard of him but after seeing that image Marvel needs to put on some comics, he draws a great Gambit. Also great summary and intro post!

Not all fandoms have names. I think we lean on his "guild" affiliations. If there was a name it might be "The Guild". No idea.

I didn't mind the ANXF uniforms, and I really liked Carmine Di Giandomenico's art of Gambit. The first time I saw G in a full beard and it looks great. Normally he has a five o'clock shadow.

bwpoutygambit.jpg

Loved Clay Mann's Gambit too.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-07-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks Mateo3000 about the intro post. I tried to not be too much wall of text and yet give some details. I might add more but I think the general idea is there.

Coolest X-man ever imo, he also got one of the best suits OAT

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    I hate the X-factor costume (...and pretty much everything that happened in that book )
    Not picking on you and I understand .... but I feel that way about MMX.

I loved Gambit's interactions with Polaris and Quicksilver in All-New X-Factor, the Danger scenes were very funny too. A good fun book all round, too bad it fell flat at the end. Costumes were a little goofy, but didn't bother me too much.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I loved Gambit's interactions with Polaris and Quicksilver in All-New X-Factor, the Danger scenes were very funny too. A good fun book all round, too bad it fell flat at the end. Costumes were a little goofy, but didn't bother me too much.
    I liked those interactions as well along with Gambit's interactions with Danger in All-New X-factor. The second half of that book felt much more meh for me but I enjoyed it overall.

I would actually love to see Gambit get some development outside of the Thieve's Guild and his marriage. I'm not against Romy but I would like to get more than just very subtle emotional development for Gambit in that book. Like give him some more character beats, let him take down a big bad or have some arcs focus more on him with Rogue as his support (basically a switch of roles). I would like to see more of an equal dichotomy of Gambit focused arcs versus Rogue focused arcs. Like have one arc about her and one about him, and develop him as much as she's being developed.

I like Thieves Guild stories but I also think there's a lot of potential for Gambit in other stories (especially if the 90s are anything to go by). I would love to see him take on major villains with the X-men and interact more with other X-men. I also really miss the stories he had with Mister Sinister, I think there's major potential there that I wish would be explored more in the future.