Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Read MMX 11:

The art is not good. Not good at all. Bland faces, the action sequences aren't bad though.
    Yes, I did read this issue.

Nice, that there were notes referencing the Asmus solo and other issues.

It was good seeing my fav villain for Gambit. I always liked the character.

There are things I didn't care for but overall, it wasn't bad.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Sent this to Marvel:

Gambit is my favorite character in all of comics and probably anything ever, Rogue is... well, she’s Rogue, I guess.

I always thought they were the Jeff and Britta or Sam and Diane (some little sitcom references for y’all) of the X-Men. Two people who clearly cared for each other, but, romance brought out their toxic sides, so they were better off in a platonic friendship (with light flirting to appease the shippers).

And then they got married.

All that I’ve learned from this series and the miniseries that preceded it is that they are still the Jeff and Britta or Sam and Diane of the X-Men. Not a single thing has shown me why they should still love each other romantically after all this time.

Throughout their entire history, including the seventeen issues written by Kelly Thompson, there have only been signs that signaled to me they should never have gotten married, or rather, should now get divorced.

And this isn’t me trying to trash talk Kelly. I earnestly believe that she is one of the best and strongest new writers in comics today, I guess I just expected better, expected more.

Going into 2018, I was so excited about Gambit’s role in X-Men Red, I wrote my first ever letter to the X-Office. Go look, it’s the first one in X-Men Red #3. The marriage burned away my enthusiasm for anything X-Men. Nothing could ever make me hate Gambit (and there’s been stuff that tried), this Cajun loves him too much for that to happen.

But now, where previously I was ambivalent about Rogue, I hate her. She’s in my bottom five of all Marvel characters.

I believe that this series failed to show two people in love. Or maybe it didn’t fail in that regard, Rogue and Remy do care for each other, but it also forgot how toxic they are for each other.

Nice letter. I was thinking of sending something but until I do, I can't find the right words, I've not done anything.

I was in the Rogue is "okay" category for awhile until the mini and MMX. Now, I can't care about her or her issues. There has just been too much of her.

And we finally get some Gambit and he's praising Rogue. Give it a rest! Rogue's claim of being with her hubby fell flat.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-22-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Nice letter. I was thinking of sending something but until I can't find the write words, I've not done anything.

I was in the Rogue is "okay" category for awhile until the mini and MMX. Now, I can't care about her or her issues. There has just been too much of her.

And we finally get some Gambit and he's praising Rogue. Give it a rest! Rogue's claim of being with her hubby fell flat.
    Let’s not forget the recurring visual motif of them being chained or locked up.

Spectacular Member

Exactly what toxic behaviour has continued in R+G and MMX? Kelly could not possibly be doing more to appease you while still writing a coherent superhero comic. Her writing is a constant stream of addressing and resolving past issues, in a very pro-Gambit way.

Rogue acknowledges she hurt Gambit. Rogue acknowledges she pushes him away. Rogue's fear stops getting in the way of their happiness. Rogue tells him she loves him. Rogue comes to his rescue. Remy calls her out on her ****. Remy makes her pull her weight. Remy's insecurities are soothed. Remy is the greatest thief in the universe. They mention having conversations about appropriate behaviour together. What exactly has Rogue done in the past year to make you actively hate her?

It's nothing but confronting and trying to fix past toxicity.

If Rogue gets a drastically uneven amount of focus, (which she doesn't, just because an arc isn't exclusively focused on Gambit's gallery doesn't mean she does), but if she does, it's only because she's being held so much more responsible for their problems. If Kelly gave Gambit flaws just he could get more panel time, you'd riot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Let’s not forget the recurring visual motif of them being chained or locked up.
    Yeah, doesn't that say something. LOL

Incredible Member

Isn't this an appreciation thread??

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Isn't this an appreciation thread??
    That doesn’t mean we have to like everything with Gambit. Lord knows there’s a bunch of bad comics that feature Gambit. MMX is just another one in that line.

*Chuckles* We appreciate Gambit. However, when written poorly, it should be stated that he's written poorly.

Just because Gambit is in a book, doesn't mean that book or his characterization is good. How about some quality. Just a thought. LOL

edit: re: MMX11 - while we're at it, how about it being about Gambit. No hero worship of Rogue and his paying attention to the task at hand which is his control of the thieves guild, instead ... Rogue has to be some sort of thing. Did we need what his view is of what Rogue would do? No, its a known thing in her character, yet, Gambit needs to state it again? Why.

Help him yes, how about it be about him and less about her.

It really is off putting how much Rogue we're dealing with in a book where Gambit should be as important since he's listed as half the book. IMO.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-22-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Incredible Member

I get you. It's just a downer for those that are enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    I get you. It's just a downer for those that are enjoying it
    I get it. But ... where was all the positives when it came ANXF, I enjoyed the book in places quite a bit and it got trashed. Or Asmus solo, for which got roasted by the writer of MMX.

If those could like those books and take the criticism, why can't the same thing happen for this book?

I get its a downer but nobody seemed to care about the downer it was for other books for those fans. Look at the old thread, for more on it.

It's the same thing, isn't it?

My point is, I don't know why its a big deal if there are some fans that don't like this book. It was never an issue before with other books. Its likability and enjoyment. No one is taking that away.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-22-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling, clarification and whatnot.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Exactly what toxic behaviour has continued in R+G and MMX?
    Good question, there's no expiation given on that one, but when one becomes so bias, has such a hatred of something or anything, usually one will just come up with whatever sounds nasty.

Incredible Member

It was for me. I loved those as well. I'll just shut up now.

Again ... where was this positive view with other books (ANXF, Asmus solo). Was it the happy dance like now? Or was it the negative side of things (see the old thread for the answer). It can't be both ways.

We are individuals - yes? You like this stuff, good. Like it, buy it. Buy more than one copy.

I want to read about Gambit. Not Rogue and her issues. He has no voice, he does nothing but prop Rogue and when he is in a story that should showcase him, he's talking about Rogue. Enough with Rogue.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-23-2019 at 05:32 AM. Reason: took my sarcasm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Again ... where was this positive view with other books (ANXF, Asmus solo). Was it the happy dance like now? Or was it the negative side of things (see the old thread for the answer). It can't be both ways.

We are individuals - yes? You like this stuff, good. Like it, buy it. Buy more than one copy.

I want to read about Gambit. Not Rogue and her issues. He has no voice, he does nothing but prop Rogue and when he is in a story that should showcase him, he's talking about Rogue. Enough with Rogue.
    He’s the Jon Snow to her Daenerys. Their relationship either strips away his POV entirely or shoves it so far into the background that it’s irrelevant (although I should mention that there are other issues at hand with this comparison, one of which is the books - which may not feature and Jon/Dany love story at all - and the fact that Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke sleepwalked through all their scenes together, which is not something that happens in comics).