Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

White got asked that there were no fan favorites like Psylocke, Rogue and Gambit on HOX POX covers. White guarantees that they will appear in a comic at some point between July and December.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGambit View Post
    In defense of Kelly Thompson, I think that's where she was planning on going witht the current arc before Hickman convinced Marvel to cancel the entire line.
    Not much of a defense. She will have had these characters for 17 issues. More than enough time to properly develop both. Instead she focused on Rogue and Rogue alone. Every writer knows at this point that they are rarely guaranteed more than 12 issues so the onus was on her to get off the ground running. Instead despite Rogue being the heavy focus of the mini, she still wasted issues with Rogue still being wishy washy about the marriage and with her powers. Two things that have been done repeatedly in the past.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

In defense of Kelly Thompson, I think that's where she was planning on going witht the current arc before Hickman convinced Marvel to cancel the entire line.
    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Not much of a defense. She will have had these characters for 17 issues. More than enough time to properly develop both. Instead she focused on Rogue and Rogue alone. Every writer knows at this point that they are rarely guaranteed more than 12 issues so the onus was on her to get off the ground running. Instead despite Rogue being the heavy focus of the mini, she still wasted issues with Rogue still being wishy washy about the marriage and with her powers. Two things that have been done repeatedly in the past.
    Agreed -17 issues is to many on a subject or subjects that has been a story point since the 1990's. Powers, trust and indecisiveness. When Rogue's not telling us about her power issues, Gambit reminds us for her.

The whole collar thing is old too, but I did like Gambit's explanation of the pain it causes, made the power issue easier to sympathize with.

And last but not least, Kelly Thompson. I know her writing of the Rogue and Gambit relationship is the subject of some controversy in this very thread, but I like the way that she writes them together. I think she really proves the two's devotion to each other.
    It's not even the relationship that is a problem, though problematic because of the story telling. The relationship certainly alienates fans and dividing them. Having said that, it would not be so severe in reaction if the story telling had been in a different direction than the one provided for 17 issues. The writer has had plenty of issues and time to really do something with this couple.

TV does a better job of putting a power couple together, give them some issues and yet overcome them and be healthy. (for example, Malec or Sizzy - those are ship names - Shadowhunters. I won't go further since its off topic. But they are good examples of two powerful couples making it work.) Different format, I know but if those writers can do it, it should be doable in a comic book. IMO.

My point is, it can be written and done well that could have built a bigger fan base or united one and could have been entertaining with action and romance but was not delivered in this book.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-26-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Incredible Member

evil gambit was cool but downright murderous ..

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    evil gambit was cool but downright murderous ..

Read it a long time ago but it was a fun version.

Huh, never seen that before, thanks for sharing! What issue is that from? A What if?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Huh, never seen that before, thanks for sharing! What issue is that from? A What if?
    I think it is from Nomad comics. It was some evil Gambit clone if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I think it is from Nomad comics. It was some evil Gambit clone if I remember right.
    Yes, it is from the Nomad comics issue #7
    RCO001_1470815973.jpg

I just read it and it's a fun issue, while also impressively 90s. Didn't see the ending coming!

On top of Bad Remy's shades, Nomad's stubble is amazing:
    Nomad Peak 90s.jpg

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Have we discussed this yet?

https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/114921049.html

To promote Men In Black International, Chris Hemsworth covers this month's Variety. In the issue, he talks about the Avengers, almost quitting at the last minute for Ghostbusters, and almost being casted as Gambit.

On almost being cast as Gambit: “I got very close to Gambit in the Wolverine ‘X-Men’ movies. At the time I was upset...I was running out of money. But if I played either of those characters, I wouldn’t have been able to play Thor.”

That would have been some, uh, interesting casting.

BANNED

I remember Gambit always had a Clint Eastwood vibe too him. Then they made everyone stop smoking cigarettes. It kinda took away from his Aura of the cool guy that smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    Have we discussed this yet?

https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/114921049.html

To promote Men In Black International, Chris Hemsworth covers this month's Variety. In the issue, he talks about the Avengers, almost quitting at the last minute for Ghostbusters, and almost being casted as Gambit.

On almost being cast as Gambit: “I got very close to Gambit in the Wolverine ‘X-Men’ movies. At the time I was upset...I was running out of money. But if I played either of those characters, I wouldn’t have been able to play Thor.”

That would have been some, uh, interesting casting.
    Maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing him as Thor in the MCU, but I can't imagine Christ Hemsworth as Gambit at all. On the subject of casting, who would you like to see portray Remy if and when he makes it into the MCU? An established actor or an unknown? I'm leaning towards an unknown, but I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they have what it takes to pull off the part.

How did everyone here become a fan of Gambit? I'd imagine for a lot of you it was through the 90s animated series, but I never really watched that even though I was a kid at the time it was on. I can't really tell you exactly when I noticed the character of Gambit and became a fan of him, only that it happened. I've kind of got this gatekeeper syndrome about it, like I can't be a true fan of Gambit because of that, and it's really irritating but that's part of living with OCD.
    I support diversity and increased representation of racial and religious minorities as well as LGBT characters in comics. I do not support changing existing characters to fit these molds. Writers and artists should be creating new characters to tell new stories.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing him as Thor in the MCU, but I can't imagine Christ Hemsworth as Gambit at all. On the subject of casting, who would you like to see portray Remy if and when he makes it into the MCU? An established actor or an unknown? I'm leaning towards an unknown, but I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they have what it takes to pull off the part.

How did everyone here become a fan of Gambit? I'd imagine for a lot of you it was through the 90s animated series, but I never really watched that even though I was a kid at the time it was on. I can't really tell you exactly when I noticed the character of Gambit and became a fan of him, only that it happened. I've kind of got this gatekeeper syndrome about it, like I can't be a true fan of Gambit because of that, and it's really irritating but that's part of living with OCD.
    For me it was partially the animated series and partially just seeing him in X-Men comics as a kid. I was intrigued by the mystery surrounding him and thought he was cool (although I remember not caring for his costume that much at the time)
    Make Good Art

XTAS for me. I thought Gambit was the coolest.