Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 520
  1. #76
    Extraordinary Member Purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Looks like our boy got #2 in the X-Book Awards for Favorite Character. Jean Grey just had one more #1 vote for him
    Cool result! Thanks for posting

  2. #77
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Looks like our boy got #2 in the X-Book Awards for Favorite Character. Jean Grey just had one more #1 vote for him
    Wow that's awesome. It's good to see Remy still getting love from the fans, he deserves it. This reminds of that poll by the X-men editor, Jordan White, where he asked people who was their favorite X-men and Remy came in 6th. He actually beat out Rogue in that, she came in 8th. I remember it was referenced in MMX #7.

  3. #78
    Mighty Member Thievery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Gambit coming in second during the X-Awards is one of the best parts of this years awards. It's especially nice that the only character that beat him out was Jean, and she likely got some votes just due to the fact that she was finally allowed to come back to life.

  4. #79
    Extraordinary Member Purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Gambit coming in second during the X-Awards is one of the best parts of this years awards. It's especially nice that the only character that beat him out was Jean, and she likely got some votes just due to the fact that she was finally allowed to come back to life.
    Yeah. I thought she would never return. Was shocked.

  5. #80
    The Forever Walker remydat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    Would there ever be a scenario where you would get on board the with 616 Romy? Would there be anything that a writer could do to fix Rogue in your eyes, this is a genuine question I'm not baiting anyone.

    I think the fact that I was on a comic hiatus during the Legacy run is why I'm ok with it...I've only heard the plot-line second hand.
    Would I ever completely be behind 616 Romy? Probably not. What would it take for me to begrudgingly accept it? Let Gambit rage against it for a bit and have Rogue come to him not him always chasing her. True contrition from Rogue (or more precisely the writers) where she actually admitted to how insensitive it was and where she admitted to the double standard she had with respect to Mags and Gambit.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

  6. #81
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Gambit coming in second during the X-Awards is one of the best parts of this years awards. It's especially nice that the only character that beat him out was Jean, and she likely got some votes just due to the fact that she was finally allowed to come back to life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Yeah. I thought she would never return. Was shocked.
    I was never shocked by Jean coming back to life. No major character in comics stays dead and Jean is way too big of a character to stay dead for long. And the second I realized that Marvel comics was gonna push out more Xmen comics after the news came out that Disney was in the process of obtaining the movie rights by Fox, I knew it wouldn't be long before she'd be alive again.
    Last edited by Mateo3000; 01-16-2019 at 07:21 PM.

  7. #82
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Would I ever completely be behind 616 Romy? Probably not. What would it take for me to begrudgingly accept it? Let Gambit rage against it for a bit and have Rogue come to him not him always chasing her. True contrition from Rogue (or more precisely the writers) where she actually admitted to how insensitive it was and where she admitted to the double standard she had with respect to Mags and Gambit.
    Romy would honestly read a lot more fluid and realistic to me if Remy was portrayed as showing some actual frustrations towards Rogue in regards to how she's treated him or to how she has held him to a double standard in comparison to others she's been romantically involved with. I feel that there's an editorial mandate or KT just doesn't want to portray Rogue as anything other than a vulnerable comicbook sweetheart, almost as if it's alright that she's made mistakes because they want us to think she's an eternal vulnerable victim. I would respect Rogue and like her character more if she just admitted to being insensitive and to making mistakes. That would show some actual real maturity, we got a tiny dose of this in the mini but not enough. And the huge double standard that she's held Remy to remains unexplained and hasn't even been addressed. I personally don't want her to apologize to Remy or to freak out at Magneto, but just to explain her reasons for holding Remy to a double standard and to handle her mistakes maturely.

    This is one thing I've loved about Remy. He's been able to admit he's screwed up and made huge mistakes. He's suffered the consequences and has grown as a character (matured) in a more realistic way in spite of also having been through some really rough times that left him very vulnerable. Obviously in the past Marvel writers and editors have wanted to show Remy as more of a flawed character and clearly don't want him to be a Clark Kent like character. I liked all that until writers in the 2000s tried to character assassinate him with poor stories, by making him appear stupid, or by ignoring his previous development; then most things with Remy in it went downhill for years.
    Last edited by Mateo3000; 01-16-2019 at 05:09 PM.

  8. #83

    Default

    So, because this is a new thread I wanted to leave a comment here so that it’ll be easier to find and I don’t spend, like, an hour looking for the old thread. I will post this once and then I’m going back to the Superman boards (where a surprising amount of people are cool with what Bendis is doing. I thought it’d be like me and five other people honestly).

    I’m done with the X-Men until Rogue and Gambit get divorced. Or one of them dies, but let’s be honest, divorce is preferable to one or both of them dying. It’s not just that Rogue and Gambit are married, it’s that the X-Men are stuck in this really bland and shitty nostalgia feedback loop. Look at Uncanny X-Men or how many pages of Mr. and Mrs. X are some kind of reference to a past moment in either the X-Men’s history or Rogue and/or Gambit’s history.

    Like, I could at least concede that Rogue and Gambit was a competently made miniseries even if I have my qualms with it, but my god, the ongoing just shits the bed. Uninspired coloring (which was a problem with the mini), reliance on lampshade hanging to cover up the usage of recurring visual elements, and then the plot point of “sugah, we can’t touch cuz mah powers” again but bumped up to eleven this time.

    And then in Uncanny, Cyclops and Wolverine are back in the 90s suits for no damn reason and Larroca’s out there being a sexist ass to Rachelle Rosenberg (who we all love for her contribution to the Asmus/Mann run). Like, the art looks bad, Larroca, but that ain’t her fault and it’s definitely not because she’s a woman.

    And a bunch of y’all just eat this garbage up!

    Age of X-Man looks cool, because Zac Thompson and Lonnie Nadler have a respect for what came before but aren’t afraid to change things in a massive way and do things differently (also Leah Williams and Vita Ayala are involved, that’s cool).

    The silver lining to all this is that I have more money to spend on better books, like the Justice League titles or Superman and Action Comics. And, that I have been working on a book of my own and hopefully someday I can break into comics so I fix this mess the X-Men comics are in and make things right.

    EDIT: and if y’all wanna throw this on the guild feel free. I don’t go there much anymore due to how shit it’s gotten for Gambit.
    Last edited by bigstupidjellyfish; 01-16-2019 at 09:42 PM.

  9. #84
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,828

    Default

    What are some good trades to read featuring Gambit?

    His solo by Nicieza? Asmus? Any non-solo ones?

  10. #85
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    What are some good trades to read featuring Gambit?

    His solo by Nicieza? Asmus? Any non-solo ones?
    You've definitely got the right idea when it comes to his solos. The Asmus solo is great, the Nicieza solo is probably my favorite, and the first miniseries by Mackie from 93 is also really good. The Gambit annuals are also pretty good. In terms of non-solos there's a lot of classic appearances from Uncanny X-men and the adjectiveless X-men run from the 90s. Xtreme X-men from the early 2000s is also good and the Astonishing X-men run from a couple years ago has a couple good appearances. In terms of specific issues, here's a thread that'll help you out: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Gambit-Reading

    Another great resource is the Gambit Guild Repository (http://www.gambitguild.com/repository/appearances.html), which is a basically an encyclopedia for all Gambit appearances.

  11. #86
    Dazed and Confused Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    Asmus solo is collected. Nicieza's solo is collected (the whole thing, 2 vols).

    Another place to look is uncannyxmen dot net's site. There you can get a listing as well.

    ANXF is collected but .... Gambit after issue #4 wasn't utilized much. Check versions before buying. The first ANXF is Maddrox and company.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-17-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

  12. #87
    Dazed and Confused Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    So, because this is a new thread I wanted to leave a comment here so that it’ll be easier to find and I don’t spend, like, an hour looking for the old thread. I will post this once and then I’m going back to the Superman boards (where a surprising amount of people are cool with what Bendis is doing. I thought it’d be like me and five other people honestly).
    Most of the old threads were closed. So, you couldn't leave a comment if you wanted to … LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I’m done with the X-Men until Rogue and Gambit get divorced. Or one of them dies, but let’s be honest, divorce is preferable to one or both of them dying. It’s not just that Rogue and Gambit are married, it’s that the X-Men are stuck in this really bland and shitty nostalgia feedback loop. Look at Uncanny X-Men or how many pages of Mr. and Mrs. X are some kind of reference to a past moment in either the X-Men’s history or Rogue and/or Gambit’s history.

    Like, I could at least concede that Rogue and Gambit was a competently made miniseries even if I have my qualms with it, but my god, the ongoing just shits the bed. Uninspired coloring (which was a problem with the mini), reliance on lampshade hanging to cover up the usage of recurring visual elements, and then the plot point of “sugah, we can’t touch cuz mah powers” again but bumped up to eleven this time.
    Its beyond annoying with the powers thing. Rogue hasn't been written to own anything in the relationship, no apologies. Gambit has faults but he is actually written to own them, Rogue is seldom held accountable.

    At this point, Gambit is a character with history that is used as a secondary character, and only in the book for support. There is no content. It's disappointing.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post

    EDIT: and if y’all wanna throw this on the guild feel free. I don’t go there much anymore due to how shit it’s gotten for Gambit.
    Sincerely, that is too bad. And I will post your comments.

    I miss your comments but I completely understand. You aren't alone, I've read some commentary from Gambit's hard core and they're all disheartened. It varies in degree but its there none the less.

    I'm waffling on keeping the site (specially the forum in existence). It's not fun to be Gambit's fan right now.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-17-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

  13. #88
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Its beyond annoying with the powers thing. Rogue hasn't been written to own anything in the relationship, no apologies. Gambit has faults but he is actually written to own them, Rogue is seldom held accountable.

    At this point, Gambit is a character with history that is used as a secondary character, and only in the book for support. There is no content. It's disappointing.




    Sincerely, that is too bad. And I will post your comments.

    I miss your comments but I completely understand. You aren't alone, I've read some commentary from Gambit's hard core and they're all disheartened. It varies in degree but its there none the less.

    I'm waffling on keeping the site (specially the forum in existence). It's not fun to be Gambit's fan right now.
    Yea it's definitely disappointing how Gambit does feel like more of a secondary character in MMX. It's definitely annoying how Rogue still uses her powers as an excuse for everything and still attempts to push him away at the first sign of a problem. I'm not even sure she would've attempted to fix her powers had they not gotten worse despite the major issue that it imposed on her marriage and the headaches that the inhibitor collar caused.

    I do hope that Gambit will get some more development aside from the very minimal subtle emotional development (basically just supporting Rogue) that he's had and big character moments in MMX but I'm honestly starting to think that may not happen. I can't say it's been all doom and gloom as a Gambit fan this last year though. Gambit was used sparsely in Xmen Red but he had some good moments especially in the last issue when he blew up the entire aircraft and when he led a part of the team earlier in the book. He's had some good acrobatic fights in R&G and in MMX albeit they were against lowly thugs and he hasn't really used his powers as well/creatively as he has in Red. But I'm most grateful for the fact that he hasn't been written poorly, it looks like we're finally past the truly dark ages of the late 2000s/early 2010s and clear of the Milligans of the world. I hope it stays like that and I do hope he gets some actual development this year. It would be nice seeing him a part of an Xmen team as well.

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    These are some X-men redesigns, by a fan I believe, that have been making quite the buzz on twitter. I'm sure this has been posted in other threads but since I kind of like the redesign for Gambit I'll post them here as well. I actually think something like this would look good on Gambit. Maybe fix the hair a little bit, keep the trench coat open, and fix the colors slightly.

    https://twitter.com/LukasWerneck/sta...21964900454400

  15. #90
    Dazed and Confused Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    heh heh, the love of purple. Makes me smile. Gambit can rock just about any color.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •