Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Would you care if Diana was racebent?

The same goes for Cassie, Donna, and Hippolyta?

I've had an idea for Donna being racebent into a Filipino Tagalog woman for some time. Diana and Hippolyta being racebent could just as easily work since the real Amazons (or the women they were based on in the legends) weren't from Greece.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No. I've seen some awesome black Wonder Woman cosplayers.

Extraordinary Member

Diana's character has nothing to do with her race, so I'd be fine with it

Given most takes on Diana's backstory, she comes out of the melting pot of Central Asia or the eastern Mediterranean. She should not be tied to or limited to any real-world ethnicity.

ETA: And if I had a negative reaction to a racebent Wonder Woman, then I hope I'd first did some soul-searching on my own prejudices.
    Last edited by kjn; 01-06-2019 at 11:40 PM.

I wouldn't change her in the comics as I'm not usually a fan of that but when it comes to an adaptation in the future like a movie or TV series, I have no problem with it at all

No. The Amazons being a multiracial group of women is one of the greatest concepts there is and any WW character should be able to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The same goes for Cassie, Donna, and Hippolyta?
    I would not care.

In fact, I think if we were going all out to execute the formula you almost have to.

I'm personally hoping that 2019's Arrowverse crossover event "Crisis" will bring us Ann Ogbomo's Nubia.

I've never really thought Diana or the Amazons were strictly white in the first place. Given their historic origins they should be some varied fusion of Greek, Turkish, Asian, and maybe Eastern Euro background. In the comics, as a race, they should probably be their own thing and not labeled as "Greek" or anything else.

Diana should be a darker shade than the average white person, with facial features that're more "exotic" than most. I don't usually think of Diana being any paler than Gal Gadot and no darker than the average Turk.

She should look multi-racial if anything. Perhaps some would call her "white" just because she's not clearly anything else and isn't as dark as someone with an African background, but I've thought the comics drew her too white ever since I learned about the Greek myths the Amazons came from.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

WW and Hippolyta should be more ethnically ambiguous so I'm cool with it. I was ok with making Donna and Cassie sisters and Japanese American so yeah I'm good. Granted I don't mind replacing Donna with someone else like what Young Justice did with Kaldur and Garth.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Yes, I would mind if Diana was race-bent. I'm not a big fan of any characters being race-bent as I think it usually comes across as forced and tasteless. Instead of race-bending Diana, Donna, Cassie, or Hippolyta, let's give some story/screen time to characters like Hessia, Nubia, Phillipus, Etta Candy, Dr. Poison, Osira, Kung, Sumo the Samurai, and Cyborgirl.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Yes, on it's face race bending is a well meaning exercise in diversity, but in actuality all it does is rile up racism, anger and controversy. It's disingenuous and unsatisfying. Race isn't simply a color you can paint someone, it's about the sum of their experiences while belonging to a specific ethnic group's culture.

Like Jaime Reyes' Blue Beetle, I'd be fine with someone of color taking up Diana's mantle and becoming their own unique Wonder Woman, but don't Psylocke Diana.

All-New Member

Hat depends. The f it’s an alternate universe version of the chnaracter... no. Aside from that, I prefer that the characters stay the way thehof began.