Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    The thing is race is a social construct
    black and white races are social constructs and ignores the diversity of Africa, Europe, and other continents

Africa doesn't mean black just like Europe doesn't mean white
    Race is "a social construct"? I wish someone would tell that to the police so they wouldn't murder a man in his own home and then attempt to justify it by vilifying the victim, but I'm getting off topic

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Race is "a social construct"? I wish someone would telitl that to the police so they wouldn't murder a man in his own home and then attempt to justify it by vilifying the victim, but I'm getting off topic

it's the creation and the belief of these social constructs of race that led to prejudice, discrimination against others based on the belief of the superiority,inferiority in connection to these social constructs of race

the prejudice,discrimination against others based on the belief of the superiority,inferiority in connection to these social constructs of race are not a validation of these social constructs of race
    they are symptoms
    they are the results of ignorance and brainwashing that divides us and generates discord

I was brought up in this ignorance and brainwashing.
    I got rid of it a few years ago, and I am 47 years old now.
    A factor in that is getting genetic testing done as well as connecting with long lost family and learning a lot more about my ancestral roots which is far more diverse than I thought.

I also never embraced the one drop rule which I believe is outdated,racist,and stupid.

I am a a highly multi-ethnic American

father's side:
    African American, English, Acadian

mother's side:
    Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish (from Romania and Latvia), Madeiran, Puerto Rican, English, German, Scottish, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch

Acadians are the descendants of the French that settled in Eastern Canadian maritime provinces.
    Many of them were expelled, and some of them went into Louisiana.
    My father was born and raised in Louisiana, and he had ancestry from those expelled Acadians.

Both Cape Verde and Madeira are Atlantic archipelagos with a strong history of Portuguese colonization and SubSaharan African slavery
    Cape Verde gained its independence from Portugal to become an African nation in 1975
    Madeira is still a colony of Portugal

according to 23andme Ancestry Composition

49.6% SubSaharan African
    48.0% European
    2.0% East Asian & Native American
    0.1% West Asian & North African
    0.2% Unassigned

Ancestry Composition from phased DNA (thanks to my mother having tested)

from my father:
    43.3% SubSaharan African
    4.2% European
    1.0% East Asian & Native American
    0.0% West Asian & North African
    <0.1% Unassigned

from my mother:
    6.3% SubSaharan African
    43.8% European
    0.1% Unassigned

my father was predominantly SubSaharan African with some European ancestry and a little Amerindian
    my mother is predominantly European with some SubSaharan African ancestry and a little Amerindian

if my predominantly European X Chromosome (obviously inherited from my mother) is not counted in my Ancestry composition, my SubSaharan African is around 52%

My Y DNA haplogroup (DNA of the paternal line) is E2b1 which is SubSaharan African
    My Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup (DNA of the maternal line) is J1c14 which is European
    Last edited by Starrius; 01-07-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Race is "a social construct"? I wish someone would tell that to the police so they wouldn't murder a man in his own home and then attempt to justify it by vilifying the victim, but I'm getting off topic
    It is, including markers like language, ethnicity, and superficial physical attributes, which all appear in different forms and combinations in different nations. Racism in the US looks different to racism in Sweden, which again looks different to racism in Finland or the UK (to take the countries I have the most knowledge about in this area).

I don't think anyone here denies that black people in the USA are among the groups hardest hit by racism, but on the converse one should not take the experience of black people in the USA and see it as the only way in which racism looks and operates. Rather, it is in many ways an extreme example of racism mixed in class prejudices, making it in some ways similar to caste systems.

I went on huge tirades after seeing a lot of whitewashed characters in Hollywood. I'm an Asian fellow, so it particularly grinds my gears to see Asian characters cast as some lily-white actors. Hollywood is guilty of years and years of BS in this particularly area.

As for racebending Diana? Not a fan. I prefer the Spider-verse method of instead of racebending Peter Parker, legitimize other Spider-heroes.

But if they do racebend Diana and make her Asian, please don't give her an effin' katana. Sorry, I consider that like four steps backwards when promoting diversity, which is what white-to-other racebending is supposed to accomplish.

I always thought Donna Hinckley Stacy Troy could easily be Donna Hernandez.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    it's the creation and the belief of these social constructs of race that led to prejudice, discrimination against others based on the belief of the superiority,inferiority in connection to these social constructs of race

the prejudice,discrimination against others based on the belief of the superiority,inferiority in connection to these social constructs of race are not a validation of these social constructs of race
    they are symptoms
    they are the results of ignorance and brainwashing that divides us and generates discord

I was brought up in this ignorance and brainwashing.
    I got rid of it a few years ago, and I am 47 years old now.
    A factor in that is getting genetic testing done as well as connecting with long lost family and learning a lot more about my ancestral roots which is far more diverse than I thought.

I also never embraced the one drop rule which I believe is outdated,racist,and stupid.

I am a a highly multi-ethnic American

father's side:
    African American, English, Acadian

mother's side:
    Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish (from Romania and Latvia), Madeiran, Puerto Rican, English, German, Scottish, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch

Acadians are the descendants of the French that settled in Eastern Canadian maritime provinces.
    Many of them were expelled, and some of them went into Louisiana.
    My father was born and raised in Louisiana, and he had ancestry from those expelled Acadians.

Both Cape Verde and Madeira are Atlantic archipelagos with a strong history of Portuguese colonization and SubSaharan African slavery
    Cape Verde gained its independence from Portugal to become an African nation in 1975
    Madeira is still a colony of Portugal

according to 23andme Ancestry Composition

49.6% SubSaharan African
    48.0% European
    2.0% East Asian & Native American
    0.2% Unassigned

Ancestry Composition from phased DNA (thanks to my mother having tested)

from my father:
    43.3% SubSaharan African
    4.2% European
    0.0% West Asian & North African
    <0.1% Unassigned

from my mother:
    6.3% SubSaharan African
    43.8% European
    0.1% Unassigned

my father was predominantly SubSaharan African with some European ancestry and a little Amerindian
    my mother is predominantly European with some SubSaharan African ancestry and a little Amerindian

if my predominantly European X Chromosome (obviously inherited from my mother) is not counted in my Ancestry composition, my SubSaharan African is around 52%

My Y DNA haplogroup (DNA of the paternal line) is E2b1 which is SubSaharan African
    My Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup (DNA of the maternal line) is J1c14 which is European
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It is, including markers like language, ethnicity, and superficial physical attributes, which all appear in different forms and combinations in different nations. Racism in the US looks different to racism in Sweden, which again looks different to racism in Finland or the UK (to take the countries I have the most knowledge about in this area).

I don't think anyone here denies that black people in the USA are among the groups hardest hit by racism, but on the converse one should not take the experience of black people in the USA and see it as the only way in which racism looks and operates. Rather, it is in many ways an extreme example of racism mixed in class prejudices, making it in some ways similar to caste systems.
    I can't really speak on this the way I want to in this environment so I'll just agree to disagree.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You do know that Etta was racebent too, right?

And why does it have to be one or the other? Racebending Diana, Donna, Cassie and/or Hippolyta doesn't mean not giving story time to characters created as non-white.

Yes, I know Etta was race-bent but I don't have an issue with that.

As for your second question, I never said it had to be one or the other just that i don't want Diana, Donna, Cassie, or Hippolyta race-bent. Whether or not they are race-bent, I still want the characters i mentioned to get page/screen time.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I wouldn't want Diana suddenly drawn as or being another race all of a sudden in the comics, but I've got nothing against an Elseworld or other alternate universe Wonder Woman being a different race (Marvel's Spider-Verse route as it were) or a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle situation like someone else mentioned (provided Diana returns to the role eventually).

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I wouldn't want Diana suddenly drawn as or being another race all of a sudden in the comics, but I've got nothing against an Elseworld or other alternate universe Wonder Woman being a different race (Marvel's Spider-Verse route as it were) or a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle situation like someone else mentioned (provided Diana returns to the role eventually).
    What about a reboot? What if DC decided to start their continuity over again and made Diana another race from the start there?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What about a reboot? What if DC decided to start their continuity over again and made Diana another race from the start there?
    Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable changing something like that during a reboot, look at all the upset Wally West fans there were/are. But that's just my opinion. Race doesn't matter, but likewise you don't want to change the appearance or history of an established character too much either, even during a reboot. A situation like Mile's Spider-Man and Jaime's Blue Beetle, or even Dick Grayson's brief stint as Batman (he's still got a Romani/Gypsy ethnic background doesn't he?), just seems like a better way to do it (although unlike those examples I'd prefer no version of Diana dying to accomplish it).

I say bring it. It could delve into topics and stories and conflicts that don’t personally or typically happen to Diana due to white privilege.

As long it's not too jarring...

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I say bring it. It could delve into topics and stories and conflicts that don’t personally or typically happen to Diana due to white privilege.
    To be fair though you can do this exactly the way she is. Realistically this woman would have no privilege as a mysterious Amazon just the same as Superman would have no privilege as a mysterious alien. We know why, outside the lore, why she looks the way she does. That's just the way it was back when she was created. But in the lore, there's always been a wealth to play upon in regards to equality, acceptance, etc. Changing her skin stone wouldn't suddenly create opportunities where none existed before. Changing the color of her skin would change things in the realm of optics, I understand that part of the argument. But nonetheless these stories could be done the way things are, is all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yes, I would care if they stopped making her an Amazon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Yes, I would care if they stopped making her an Amazon.
    Fair enough