Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Angry Young Justice Outsiders - Wonder Woman Problem

I am so glad that Young Justice finally got a 3rd season, I am certain we all are. That animation series deserves at least 8 seasons.

But I noticed one problem, which is Wonder Woman and to be more specific Wonder Woman's ponytail hair. It makes her look like a grandma and that big nose doesn't really help her face.

God... I hate that hair, it kept appearing DC Animation movies but I didn't expect it would appear in Young Justice season 3.

Why did DC animation style her hair that way?

Wonder Woman was is and always will be proud of her glorious beautiful black hair.

BANNED

Putting one's hair in a ponytail doesn't mean that they're ashamed of their hair...

Anyways, ponytails have practical reasons, and apparently the animators know this as well, and want to depict her with one.

Why the fuss over fictional women's hair?

A ponytail is a good choice for someone with long hair who's out fighting a lot. Plus it's relatively easy to animate.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member

I'd watch the show if only Wally returned, otherwise...nope...

How does a ponytail make someone look like a grandma?

When does it come out. I'll finally buy that dumb subscription for that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    A ponytail is a good choice for someone with long hair who's out fighting a lot. Plus it's relatively easy to animate.
    I think it is probably just easier to animate. Wonder Woman live action in the movies and the TV Arrowverse women like Sara Lance and Supergirl have long hair and have no trouble fighting.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think it is probably just easier to animate. Wonder Woman live action in the movies and the TV Arrowverse women like Sara Lance and Supergirl have long hair and have no trouble fighting.
    That's ease in the other direction. An actress with long hair makes it far easier to film action shots where the stunt ladies wear long hair wigs to mask themselves making the actresses look good.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How does a ponytail make someone look like a grandma?
    wonder-woman-diana-justice-league-war-60.jpg

not the ponytail to be exact, but that round-hair around her head, which to me looks like a grandma hairbun

I agree that maybe writers + animators found it easier that way, but that's a bad hairstyle

wonder woman hair should not be tied into a tail, it should be loose n glorious, like that wonder woman animated movie.

Quote Originally Posted by the_whitequeen View Post

not the ponytail to be exact, but that round-hair around her head, which to me looks like a grandma hairbun

I agree that maybe writers + animators found it easier that way, but that's a bad hairstyle

wonder woman hair should not be tied into a tail, it should be loose n glorious, like that wonder woman animated movie.
    Yeah, I'm not seeing it. If anything, she looks younger to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_whitequeen View Post

She's from a society that was isolated for thousands of years - of course she's gonna have an old hairstyle.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I like Diana with a ponytail. Being from a culture of warrior woman having sporting a ponytail makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I like Diana with a ponytail. Being from a culture of warrior woman having sporting a ponytail makes sense.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to cut their hair off? The soldiers in most professional militaries have their hair cut short, going back all the way to the Roman Legions. Amazons went so far as to cut
    off a breast to make shooting an arrow easier. That is where the word Amazon comes from a mazos - without breast. Why wouldn't they cut off their hair if it was getting in the way? The only reason
    Amazon women are depicted with long hair in popular culture is to make them look pretty. A haircut like Alex Danvers now has would probably better resemble what an Amazon would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to cut their hair off? The soldiers in most professional militaries have their hair cut short, going back all the way to the Roman Legions. Amazons went so far as to cut
    off a breast to make shooting an arrow easier. That is where the word Amazon comes from a mazos - without breast. Why wouldn't they cut off their hair if it was getting in the way? The only reason
    Amazon women are depicted with long hair in popular culture is to make them look pretty. A haircut like Alex Danvers now has would probably better resemble what an Amazon would look like.
    In the comics Diana's long hair is also supposed to take the place of a cape.

Also, in ancient Greece some societies kept longer hair, even for warriors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Roman_hairstyle

I think it's safe to presume Wonder Woman should draw more from Greek traditions than from Roman ones.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I'm fine with the hair, the outfit I have more of an issue with.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics