Thread: Cary Nord's art

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cary Nord's art

We've had some discussion here on how Wonder Woman has been depicted so far in G Willow Wilson's run, with some claiming that Wonder Woman wasn't depicted as strong or as powerful as in earlier runs. That led us to discuss the actual feats that Diana has done, and how they have been depicted in art, and that led to the idea that there is an incongruence between art and writing.

ETA: If the images appear small, click on them for larger version.

So lets explore that. From issue 58:

Wonder Woman (2016-) 058-020.jpg

This is where Wonder Woman runs to confront the leader of the insurgents. The image carries the dynamics of movement, and Diana has an expression of determination and fierceness on her face. However, she is posed in a very unbalanced way, bent over with her butt sticking out and an arched back. The determined expression is also undercut by the rather waifish way that Diana is drawn: the determination feels more momentary than something implacable to me.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 058-021.jpg

Diana reaches Ares, and is greeted by an axe. Despite carrying a shield, Diana throws it far to the side in the first image, and all signs of determination are gone. She is on her knees, and have thus lost all mobility. Her facial expression is surprised, all determination and fierceness is gone.

In the following frame Diana looks small and afraid.

A note on the "Hunh". While going through the issues for this article I found quite a lot of these and similar sounds. I'm not sure this is a Wilsonism (I didn't find any on a quick check of my wife's Ms Marvel TPB), but they come not only from Diana but from Ares as well, as well as when Steve Trevor succumbs to his wound. I do believe they detract from the narrative used as liberally as they are here.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 058-022.jpg

From the final page of issue 58. Notice the posings here. Ares is maybe not shown as confident, but he stands straight, holding his shield. He is neither threatening Diana nor visibly ready to defend against an attack. ETA: If anything, I'd say Ares appears proud.

Diana, on the other hand, looks up in surprise. Her posing makes her smaller than she really is, and she does not present any confidence. Again, she appears more childish than anything else.
    Last edited by kjn; 01-08-2019 at 12:29 PM.