Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cary Nord's art

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Yeah, for me it feels like Nord was not the best choice at all. He highlights all the wrong things in Diana's facial and body expression and makes her seem like an insecure girl. Which surprises me cause the beginning of Rebirth was pretty strong art-wise. Even Robinson's run had great artists, especially Lupacchino.

I just wish Xermanico could stay on the title permanently.
    Yep. And I think it's here that the art really undercuts Wilson's narrative. Wilson wants Diana to have doubts about her earlier actions, but more than that I think Wilson wants Diana to be a questioning agent contrasting to all the extremist beings around her. But Nord's art makes Diana appear weak, and thus the questioning and doubts becomes being insecure, instead of actively seeking the best path from a position of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah not a fan of Nord’s art either. His Diana just looks so odd. It’s like he does a rough sketch for each panel and then just moves on. Doesn’t feel like finished art to me.
    I'm not sure the biweekly schedule is good for artists, but I think it goes beyond that, since Nord simply puts the wrong feelings into Diana at each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I do not like the Nord art. I don't think it's an accurate depiction of the character of Wonder Woman - the thin build, the exaggerated breasts, the sexualised posing in "battle" environments and childlike facial design and expressions all strike me as odd.

The Xermanico art is quite lovely.

The Bueno art isn't too bad, although I'm not a fan of how the bodice barely seems to be able to contain Diana's breasts. It seems to sit far too low and I'm guessing it is being held up by magic alone!
    Well, too-low bodices are a staple of superhero costumes!

And I think this goes beyond mere taste. I didn't like how Laura Braga draws Wonder Woman (in #51, the Mayfly issue), but the thin bodies, large breasts, long legs, and big heads are her style. One can say that one has a different view of how Diana should look, and leave it at that.

But poses and expressions directly influence how we read the comics and interpret the characters. Braga managed that in an excellent way, and reinforced the emotional beats in the story. Nord tries to do the same, but he makes Diana appear to act from a position of weakness.

ETA: I didn't check all the info, so this is premature speculation.

Did some digging around, and it seems that Nord is out.

Xermanico will replace Nord on 62, Emanuela Lupacchino will do 63, Jesus Merino will do 64 and 65. According to the original solicitation Nord would do 66 and 67, but the link above says Nord isn't solicited for any future issues, so who knows what's been going on in the Wonder Woman offices.

I certainly wouldn't mind some form of rotation between Xermanico, Lupacchino, and Merino. Xermanico might clash a bit stylistically with the other two, but if it coincides with storyline shifts it doesn't really matter. And both Merino and Lupacchino did great work with The Witching Hour.
    Last edited by kjn; 01-10-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Xermanico will replace Nord on 62, Emanuela Lupacchino will do 63, Jesus Merino will do 64 and 65. According to the original solicitation Nord would do 66 and 67, but the link above says Nord isn't solicited for any future issues, so who knows what's been going on in the Wonder Woman offices.

I certainly wouldn't mind some form of rotation between Xermanico, Lupacchino, and Merino. Xermanico might clash a bit stylistically with the other two, but if it coincides with storyline shifts it doesn't really matter. And both Merino and Lupacchino did great work with The Witching Hour.
    Oh well. Maybe Nord's art didn't meet DC's expectations or they noticed it was dragging what should be a spectacular run down. Whatever it is, I'm happy.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

We'll see. I hope things improve. Sadly i can't have expectations anymore.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-09-2019 at 08:20 PM.

I thought we could use some theory about framing and how it shapes perception, so here is Lindsay Ellis's video on applying feminist film theory to Megan Fox of the Transformers movies, and how there is a disconnect between how Megan Fox's character is presented in the screenplay compared to how she is perceived in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Oh well. Maybe Nord's art didn't meet DC's expectations or they noticed it was dragging what should be a spectacular run down. Whatever it is, I'm happy.
    I took a closer look, and noticed that the Nord update had an earlier posting date than the March solicitations, which list Nord as the artist for 66 and 67.

I hope he can do a better job with the March issues. Especially since Giganta and rampaging Titans are involved.

I was super stoked that Nord was taking on art chores for Wonder Woman and for the most part, I like the style he is using on the book, however I do agree he isn't the best fit for the series (or the character.) Xermanico I thought did a fantastic job and I would definitely love to see him on regular chores.
    Of note from the artistic side of things, I find it curious that DC has left WW a bi-weekly series. I can assume they left Detective bi-weekly to get to 1,000 more quickly. Nightwing and Titans baffle me as well. Wonder Woman would seem to benefit from returning to monthly status in order to maintain a (hopefully) more singular artistic style.