Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cary Nord's art

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Yeah, for me it feels like Nord was not the best choice at all. He highlights all the wrong things in Diana's facial and body expression and makes her seem like an insecure girl. Which surprises me cause the beginning of Rebirth was pretty strong art-wise. Even Robinson's run had great artists, especially Lupacchino.

I just wish Xermanico could stay on the title permanently.
    Yep. And I think it's here that the art really undercuts Wilson's narrative. Wilson wants Diana to have doubts about her earlier actions, but more than that I think Wilson wants Diana to be a questioning agent contrasting to all the extremist beings around her. But Nord's art makes Diana appear weak, and thus the questioning and doubts becomes being insecure, instead of actively seeking the best path from a position of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah not a fan of Nord’s art either. His Diana just looks so odd. It’s like he does a rough sketch for each panel and then just moves on. Doesn’t feel like finished art to me.
    I'm not sure the biweekly schedule is good for artists, but I think it goes beyond that, since Nord simply puts the wrong feelings into Diana at each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I do not like the Nord art. I don't think it's an accurate depiction of the character of Wonder Woman - the thin build, the exaggerated breasts, the sexualised posing in "battle" environments and childlike facial design and expressions all strike me as odd.

The Xermanico art is quite lovely.

The Bueno art isn't too bad, although I'm not a fan of how the bodice barely seems to be able to contain Diana's breasts. It seems to sit far too low and I'm guessing it is being held up by magic alone!
    Well, too-low bodices are a staple of superhero costumes!

And I think this goes beyond mere taste. I didn't like how Laura Braga draws Wonder Woman (in #51, the Mayfly issue), but the thin bodies, large breasts, long legs, and big heads are her style. One can say that one has a different view of how Diana should look, and leave it at that.

But poses and expressions directly influence how we read the comics and interpret the characters. Braga managed that in an excellent way, and reinforced the emotional beats in the story. Nord tries to do the same, but he makes Diana appear to act from a position of weakness.

ETA: I didn't check all the info, so this is premature speculation.

Did some digging around, and it seems that Nord is out.

Xermanico will replace Nord on 62, Emanuela Lupacchino will do 63, Jesus Merino will do 64 and 65. According to the original solicitation Nord would do 66 and 67, but the link above says Nord isn't solicited for any future issues, so who knows what's been going on in the Wonder Woman offices.

I certainly wouldn't mind some form of rotation between Xermanico, Lupacchino, and Merino. Xermanico might clash a bit stylistically with the other two, but if it coincides with storyline shifts it doesn't really matter. And both Merino and Lupacchino did great work with The Witching Hour.
    Last edited by kjn; 01-10-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Xermanico will replace Nord on 62, Emanuela Lupacchino will do 63, Jesus Merino will do 64 and 65. According to the original solicitation Nord would do 66 and 67, but the link above says Nord isn't solicited for any future issues, so who knows what's been going on in the Wonder Woman offices.

I certainly wouldn't mind some form of rotation between Xermanico, Lupacchino, and Merino. Xermanico might clash a bit stylistically with the other two, but if it coincides with storyline shifts it doesn't really matter. And both Merino and Lupacchino did great work with The Witching Hour.
    Oh well. Maybe Nord's art didn't meet DC's expectations or they noticed it was dragging what should be a spectacular run down. Whatever it is, I'm happy.

BANNED

We'll see. I hope things improve. Sadly i can't have expectations anymore.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-09-2019 at 08:20 PM.

I thought we could use some theory about framing and how it shapes perception, so here is Lindsay Ellis's video on applying feminist film theory to Megan Fox of the Transformers movies, and how there is a disconnect between how Megan Fox's character is presented in the screenplay compared to how she is perceived in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Oh well. Maybe Nord's art didn't meet DC's expectations or they noticed it was dragging what should be a spectacular run down. Whatever it is, I'm happy.
    I took a closer look, and noticed that the Nord update had an earlier posting date than the March solicitations, which list Nord as the artist for 66 and 67.

I hope he can do a better job with the March issues. Especially since Giganta and rampaging Titans are involved.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I was super stoked that Nord was taking on art chores for Wonder Woman and for the most part, I like the style he is using on the book, however I do agree he isn't the best fit for the series (or the character.) Xermanico I thought did a fantastic job and I would definitely love to see him on regular chores.
    Of note from the artistic side of things, I find it curious that DC has left WW a bi-weekly series. I can assume they left Detective bi-weekly to get to 1,000 more quickly. Nightwing and Titans baffle me as well. Wonder Woman would seem to benefit from returning to monthly status in order to maintain a (hopefully) more singular artistic style.

Since we have Emanuela Lupacchino on art duty in #63, why not discuss a few of her panels and how she manages Diana?

Wonder Woman (2016-) 063-007.jpg

I like how Lupacchino gives Diana a strong sense of movement in the way the panels, the framing, and the figures of Damon and Diana interact. The way Damon is portrayed gives a lot of character to him. I'm less sold on Diana. The posing is fine, and gives a strong sense of power in motion. The trouble is the face. I think that Lupacchino was trying for a serene look, but since she looks away from both Damon and her apparent direction of flight, she looks more absent to me.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 063-009.jpg

This is the look for Diana that I think Nord failed to make in his first issues. Diana knows there has been mistakes made, but is ready to face them and try to set them right.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 063-017.jpg

And the last one. Diana is presented as calm, collected, and confident. She is not here to take command, but she knows that the situation is under control from now on.
    Last edited by kjn; 02-05-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Nord *used* to be a great artist but I'm not sure what has happened to him on WW. His art is horrible on WW.
    Please Remain Calm

Hate to say it but yeah Nord was a bad fit from the get go. Just hasn't looked all that good.

I liked the issues Xermanico did. Wouldn't hurt my feelings for him to take over.

We got the solicitations for June, and the art situation is just looking chaotic:

66–68: Cary Nord and Mick Gray (March & April)
    69–71: Xermanico (April & May)
    72: Merino (June)
    73: Lopresti (June)

Nord's art was better in this current arc than it was in his first one, but Diana was still the weakest piece of his drawings. Then we get Xermanico, who did a good job earlier. But then we get first Merino—who I thought was excellent on JLD, but markedly weaker on WW #64 and 65, and then one issue with Lopresti, who last drew Wonder Woman back in volume 3. I didn't think his art from back then was that good, but that was a long time ago, so things may have changed.

But over fifteen issues we have no less than five artists, and two of them (Nord and Merino) have proven lacklustre so far. Right now, I think the art situation is deeply damaging for the title and also undercuts some of the narrative that Wilson is trying to build.
    Last edited by kjn; 03-16-2019 at 02:11 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

We got the solicitations for June, and the art situation is just looking chaotic:

66–68: Cary Nord and Mick Gray (March & April)
    69–71: Xermanico (April & May)
    72: Merino (June)
    73: Lopresti (June)

Nord's art was better in this current arc than it was in his first one, but Diana was still the weakest piece of his drawings. Then we get Xermanico, who did a good job earlier. But then we get first Merino—who I thought was excellent on JLD, but markedly weaker on WW #65 and 65, and then one issue with Lopresti, who last drew Wonder Woman back in volume 3. I didn't think his art from back then was that good, but that was a long time ago, so things may have changed.

But over fifteen issues we have no less than five artists, and two of them (Nord and Merino) have proven lacklustre so far. Right now, I think the art situation is deeply damaging for the title and also undercuts some of the narrative that Wilson is trying to build.
    I definitely agree that Nord's art is pulling down the story GWW is trying to tell. If there was a more dynamic artist...Xermanico, Dodson, Lupacchino on a regular basis the story would have far better weight to it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Lopresti is not my favorite artist to ever work on WW, but I will take him in a heart beat over Nord and some of the others we've had since Wilson's run started.

Rotating art duties on arcs between Lopresti and the Dodsons would be a major improvement.

So, we've had a break for a while, but I thought there were some things of note in #67.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 067-008.jpg

There are things I both like and dislike with this image. It gives a clear sense of action, and the scale and menace of the titan is readily apparent. However, Diana is the least detailed figure in the entire composition. Especially the lack of pupils make her seem unfinished. Also, her bosom and cleavage dominates her entire figure, though not as much as in some of the other images of a flying Diana that Nord has drawn.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 067-011.jpg

Compared to most other images of her that Nord has drawn, this gives the impression of a lot more buff Diana. She is not detailed, but it is a rather small part of a larger composition, and I think it contributes to a sense of action and urgency.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 067-015.jpg

I like this one, even if I think both Diana and Giganta are a bit on the slender side. Diana gives a sense of both strong movement and serenity, which I think is a fitting way to depict her. Unlike the first image, her bosom is not as amplified. However, I think Giganta protecting herself against the falling stones looks too stiff and not in a natural pose for that. But the picture of the fallout again gives a good sense of the scale of the action and Giganta's size. I also like how the lasso is used to frame and tie together the composition.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I checked the July solicitations, and #74 and #75 have first Jesus Merino and then Xermanico on art duties. When the August solicitations come (should it be this week?) we should get a better idea on DC's plans for art on Wonder Woman.

I think Xermanico has been solid but not spectacular. His compositions are interesting (though not as good as Nord's), and he has really managed to catch the emotional beats of the story. I find his personal style is a bit bland, but it is competent. Here are some examples from #70:

Wonder Woman (2016-) 070-006.jpg

Atlantiades leaves Aphrodite and Diana utterly speechless. This is probably my favourite frame in the entire issue—Xermanico catches their bafflement, surprise, and cluelessness perfectly.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 070-011.jpg

Diana didn't grow up in a society that valued restrained gestures and expressions, and Xermanico catches that well. And it's a nice callout to the distracted boyfriend meme.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 070-015.jpg

Again, a strong focus on Diana's face, left adrift not knowing if Themyscira is still there anymore.

Another thing I noted is that Xermanico is using the downward-pointing tiara from the movie, unlike the other artists. It doesn't bother me: what's important is that Wonder Woman has a tiara.