Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would Venom make a good member of the Guardians of the Galaxy?

Would Venom make a good member of the Guardians of the Galaxy?

He was. And they picked the absolute worst time to do it because the Venom series just ended with Flash retiring from the Avengers and promising to stay in Philly to protect Mania. Then in Guardians, he goes to join them because he is asked to, despite not being an Avenger and already having an important responsiblity only he's suited for that the fate of the world could depend on. It might be the most egregious case of Bendis not caring about other people's stuff ever. Surely the biggest one I can remember. Then the Venom book had to bring him back to Earth and do a short arc about how stupid it was.

Otherwise, yes. It makes perfect sense. Venom comes from space. If Donny Cates made Venom, who he writes, a part of his Guardians team at some point, it would make perfect sense.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ah. Was not aware that he'd already been on the team. I just watched the Venom movie last night and thought, this guy would fit right in the with the Guardians.

Mighty Member

Not a Venom fan to begin with, was not a Flash Thompson fan, and didn't care much for his appearances in Avengers OR GOTG as Venom. Honestly I'm not a fan of any of the Earth bound heroes being in GOTG.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Ah. Was not aware that he'd already been on the team. I just watched the Venom movie last night and thought, this guy would fit right in the with the Guardians.
    Sorry for the rant, it's my mutant power.

I personally really liked Flash Thompson Venom on the Guardians team, since he's a great character and it allowed for alot of really nice interactions with the other members, and got to explore more of the history regarding the symbiote.

But yeah, I didn't read the Flash Venom book until after I had read most of the Guardians with him on it, so it didn't end up being a huge bother for me, but in context it was really dumb the Mania stuff was just completely thrown to the side. And when she's finally brought back at the end of Space Knight, it's played as an "Oops I forgot about her" sort of situation. Mania as a whole has just been incredibly under-utilized in general and its a real shame.

Mania is the best symbiote spinoff, no one @ me. I don't buy Cates' Venom run cuz I'm not an Eddie guy, but I would immediately cop a Web of Venom one-shot for my girl. That's all I want.

If its Flash Thompson, then yes!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Amazing Member

I’m sure Cates will have him cross paths with his GotG at some point, and I’m all for it. Venom: Space Knight was surprisingly strong, it’s a shame it didn’t get another arc or two to grow. The Agents of the Cosmos could have been neat, and I hope Cates addresses them.

Flash was, but I think they went too far with the concept when they went all "Space Knight."

I don't think Brock as Venom would work as well in that situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I personally really liked Flash Thompson Venom on the Guardians team, since he's a great character and it allowed for alot of really nice interactions with the other members, and got to explore more of the history regarding the symbiote.
    I don't really remember much in the way of significant interaction between Flash and the Guardians when he was on the team. Everyone other then Quill seemed to either keep him at arms-length or just straight-up didn't care for him.

Ultimate Member

All this talk about Mania, yeah that was a waste.

Has there ever been a character wearing a symbiote that's kept it from one writer to the next?

Toxin's host was killed off panel, Scream and Hybrid killed, the soldiers who were introduced in the Carnage mini died and I know I'm missing a few.

Brock and Kletus seem to be the only ones to keep a suit. Shame, IMO, because Flash was really rather awesome.

iMan 42s

The Venom franchise is notorious for wasted opportunities and narrative dead ends. Every writer wants to put its stamp on things and even now, someone will write out the entire Knull plot within at least two creative team shifts. And it doesn't even need to happen in a Venom related book either. The then current Amazing Spider-man literally forgot about the culmination of Space-Knight and Agent Venom. Venom and the symbiotes is basically whatever the writer wants to do with him that day. I would say its as bad as the X-men, but there is at least some consistency in change-overs.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Mania is the best symbiote spinoff, no one @ me. I don't buy Cates' Venom run cuz I'm not an Eddie guy, but I would immediately cop a Web of Venom one-shot for my girl. That's all I want.
    I'm normally not an Eddie guy either, but I've been completely digging everything he's done with Venom and Eddie so far. He even had that issue that was probably the perfect sendup to Flash and Agent Venom. If he can just get Mania involved in some way then it would be absolutely perfect.

Amazing Member

It was certainly weird how the heroes made no real effort to get Mania’s symbiote back at the end of Venom, Inc. I’m sure it will get addressed when Carnage eventually kills Lee Price, though.

They killed off scream? What a waste. She would have been great in thunderbolts.

Also I heard carnage wanted to kill every one who wore a venom. Didn't half of new York wear one in that one story? Plus the avengers like wolverine did also. Is carnage going after the avengers? Last time he did he got ripped in half! Is marvel gong to "ignore" half the city and the avengers wore a venom suit or is carnage going after everyone in new york. What a dumb story.